Flipped float plane pulled from Sound

Posted by Geeky Swedes on August 28th, 2009

It was quite the spectacle at the Shilshole Marina boat ramp for much of the day as an enormous crane worked delicately to extract the float plane that flipped over off Golden Gardens this morning. (See our earlier story.)

The plane was upside down, most of it several feet underwater.

The crowd watched as the crane extended its arm to pick up the plane.

A diver worked to get the plane ready for transport, and he attached large air balloons at strategic points to lift the aircraft partially out of the water.

The pilot, Roger Collins (left) watched from the dock. When the plane flipped, he hit his forehead, leaving a bump and a few small scratches.

The process took several hours. Soon, the plane was mostly out of the water. A small amount of fuel was visible on the top of the water, and large, flat sponges were deployed to soak it up.

The crane, perched at the end of the boat dock, worked very slowly.

Finally, the plane was back on its feet, ready to be dismantled for transport.

Here’s a video clip showing the recovery operation.

• 1 Landry // Aug 28, 2009 at 10:10 pm

Glad teh man is okay.

Now, who is paying for the crane and the dive team?

• 2 boardbrown // Aug 28, 2009 at 11:24 pm

I wonder what the tab was. That crane fee alone must be at least a couple grand.

• 3 watergirl // Aug 28, 2009 at 11:30 pm

Neat story of the recovery … but how did the plane end up there in the first place?

Sheeesh, never mind … just saw the link! Doh!

• 4 local pilot // Aug 29, 2009 at 7:45 am

That would be the aircraft owner's insurance company. Any other questions?

• 5 saildude // Aug 29, 2009 at 11:55 pm

I ask one of the Ness Crane people and he estimated the crane costs as around $6,000. The large crane was rated at 175 tons but that size was required because the lift radius was a long way out.

• 6 Red Baron // Aug 30, 2009 at 10:05 pm

Someone will be paying a bit more for insurance . . . .

• 7 hdr gwp88vb hdr gwp88ve // Nov 9, 2014 at 8:12 pm

Simply wish to say your article is as astounding.
    The clarity to your put up is just nice and i could assume you are an expert on this subject.
    Well along with your permission let me to grasp
    your feed to keep updated with drawing close post. Thanks 1,
    000,000 and please keep up the enjoyable work.

• 8 kessho 4 6inches japanese // Nov 17, 2014 at 6:15 am

My partner and I absolutely love your blog and find a lot of your post’s to be exactly what
    I’m looking for. Do you offer guest writers to write content for you?
    I wouldn’t mind composing a post or elaborating on a few
    of the subjects you write in relation to here. Again, awesome site!

• 9 ounce dallas texas skyline // Nov 23, 2014 at 7:13 am

Hi my family member! I wish to say that this post is awesome, nice written and include
    approximately all significant infos. I would like to peer more posts like
    this .

• 10 pokemon gameboy advance carrying case // Nov 30, 2014 at 12:07 pm

Everyone loves what you guys are usually up too.

This kind of clever work and exposure! Keep up the great works guys I’ve added
    you guys to our blogroll.

• 11 ca102 replacement protectors microfiber // Dec 7, 2014 at 1:56 am

Good day! I could have sworn I’ve visited this blog
    before but after going through a few of the articles I realized it’s new to me.
    Anyhow, I’m definitely delighted I discovered it and I’ll be book-marking it and
    checking back regularly!