FBI looking for Ballard bank robber

Posted by Geeky Swedes on November 11th, 2009

The FBI has released security photos of the man accused of robbing the Frontier Bank near Ballard Market on Monday.

During the robbery, the FBI says the 5’6″-5’8″ man made a demand for cash and did not show a weapon. The FBI says that he looks to be in his 50s-60s, medium build with gray hair. He also had band-aids or tape on fingers of both hands. The FBI believes he may be responsible for a bank robbery in North Bend last Friday. If you have information you’re asked to call 206-622-0460.

• 1 Silver // Nov 11, 2009 at 4:36 pm

Probably trying to get enough cash together for a decent haircut.

• 2 NoraBell // Nov 11, 2009 at 4:52 pm

Hey, even the hair is an improvement on that hat.

• 3 LovrienS // Nov 11, 2009 at 6:14 pm

Wow, could you GET a better ID?

• 4 kim // Nov 11, 2009 at 6:42 pm

it looks like bob rivers and doesn't he live in north bend/snoqualmie? too funny!

• 5 NoraBell // Nov 11, 2009 at 7:05 pm

Heh. A face for radio.

• 6 sdrake1958 // Nov 11, 2009 at 7:08 pm

So BFD he “made a demand for cash and displayed no weapon”. Sounds like my ex-wife. When will somebody simply come around and kick a thug that looks like this? Tackle him down, hold him til the cops are there, go home. Sorry, he isn't very “threatening”. He's a bum.

• 7 ballardmike // Nov 11, 2009 at 7:11 pm

Last guy did that lost his job. Banks can't take a chance an employee gets in over their head in situation like that. =

• 8 ballardmike // Nov 11, 2009 at 7:13 pm

50-60s – really FBI?? 45-55 sure… livin' hard will do that to a guy.

• 9 gobigblue // Nov 11, 2009 at 7:23 pm

a bum who could have a weapon. or be HIV-positive or have hepatitis and who decides to bite you in the melee.

i don't think *you* can accurately determine the threat level of a person from a photograph.

besides, why would a teller (i was one once) care if a robber gets away with the money. it's the bank's money and the bank has insurance for such losses.

• 10 gobigblue // Nov 11, 2009 at 7:26 pm

i believe the FBI gets involved in all bank robberies since banks are insured by the FDIC

• 11 ZephyrV2 // Nov 11, 2009 at 7:34 pm

I had also worked as a teller years ago, during which there were a couple of robberies of other branches of my bank over a couple of months. We were told all the time to comply with the robbers. To me it was less about not caring that it wasn't my money (in fact handling it all day, I didn't feel like it was money) but more about following procedure and doing my job.

• 12 Jules // Nov 11, 2009 at 7:36 pm

Can anyone tell what it says on that hat?

My mom once worked at WAMU in Ballard in the 1970s and they were robbed….and the guy came in a week later to open an account and apply for a mortgage at my mom's desk. He wasn't that hard to identify, as he was in fact wearing high-heeled black patent leather women's shoes on both occasions.

• 13 ZephyrV2 // Nov 11, 2009 at 7:37 pm

Who should do the tackling? Odds are this guy was very hush, hush. Likely no one knew what was going on aside from the teller he was dealing with. And that teller was on the other side of the counter. Further, tellers are always told to just hand over the cash – that is bank policy. When I worked as a teller it was made very clear to me that they cared more about our safety than the dough.

• 14 RudyT // Nov 11, 2009 at 8:21 pm

Seriously…best security camera picture I've seen outside of the movies.

• 15 BarneyRubble // Nov 11, 2009 at 8:36 pm

I was a teller quite a few years back. I was always of the opinion that I wasn't going to play hero for the banks money (which is insured).

• 16 SPG // Nov 11, 2009 at 9:07 pm

I was buying beer in backwoods Oregon last summer and they demanded my ID. Had to go out to the car to get it. Mind you I don't look 21 anymore and I don't get carded often. I realized that after showing the ID that I probably look like around 20 in meth years.

• 17 Theravadist // Nov 11, 2009 at 9:30 pm

Looks like half the bums in Ballard…just take your pick.

• 18 engiebear // Nov 11, 2009 at 10:04 pm

gaurantee he is bald and that is one of those mullet hats.

• 19 kingkong509 // Nov 11, 2009 at 10:44 pm

Looks like Russell Crowe to me

• 20 cdpenne // Nov 12, 2009 at 12:13 am

Man, I really don't see the issue with the hat. It's a black baseball cap, so what's the deal? He could just as easily be santa at the mall as a bum dawdling in Ballard. Bank robberies like this shouldn't be that surprising- he's just getting his bail out. All you people snarking are snarking because you've been tempted yourself and think you would do a better job or atleast look cooler while doing it.

• 21 Andrew Reichel // Nov 12, 2009 at 12:47 am

I'm pretty sure his hat says “Foghat World Tour 1978.”

• 22 Silver // Nov 12, 2009 at 5:18 am

Ooo, Andrew! MEEEEOW!

• 23 ktown69 // Nov 12, 2009 at 5:23 am

Exactly.

• 24 ktown69 // Nov 12, 2009 at 5:27 am

C'mon, it looks like he's saying, “hey, so this is a bank, eh? I think I have some here…so…can I have some? Some of those over there, eh?”

• 25 boba fett // Nov 12, 2009 at 3:58 pm

I'm pretty sure that's Mike McGinn.

He was the original “Fool for the City” who likes to take a “Slowride” on his bicycle.