Value Village relocating, Grocery Outlet moving in

Posted by Geeky Swedes on January 29th, 2010

People have been emailing us wondering what is going at the old QFC location at the corner of 15th Ave NW and NW 85th St.

Workers are busy transforming the old grocery store into a new Value Village. Daniel snapped the above photo with his Blackberry before the sign was covered up with plastic.

Meanwhile, Grocery Outlet is planning to move into the location that is currently Value Village (8700 15th Ave NW.) We spoke with Peyton Robertson with Grocery Outlet who tells us they plan to have their new location open the beginning of May “provided that construction goes as planned,” she tells us.

• 1 ballardbeavers2 // Jan 30, 2010 at 11:31 pm

And with my last comment, and this, it will be the last. I do have better things to do and much, much more important things to think about.
    Wishing you well.

• 2 Albendazole WORKS // Jan 31, 2010 at 1:20 am

StopGo was minutely more likeable when he focused on bicycles. But this thread may feed his ego more, since a lot more people care about a beloved grocery store than they do about him going head-to-head with a train.

Everyone has to eat, far fewer adults can ride (or even WANT to ride) a bicycle. It's a shame when a troll acts like a caffeinated 5y/o, while the rest of us normal people don't have an IGNORE feature that would save us some irritation.

• 3 Idle Activist // Jan 31, 2010 at 1:39 am

'So you are generally lucky to be entertained in every aisle you walk down by a maelstrom of profanities ands hollering. that was probably the highlight of the trip.'

that's the meth wearing off.

• 4 crownhillgardener // Jan 31, 2010 at 3:58 am

Yes – everything that you posted a pic of was expired.
    BUT – Everything that you posted a pic of could be eaten two years from now and be fine. 10 years ago – most of those items wouldn't even have an expiration date or one about 5 years out. Producers added those or made them shorter to make people throw them out so they can buy new stuff. Much like the freshness date on a 6-pack of canned beer. Totally B.S. – just advertising and training people too stupid to know better. Kind of like training stupid consumers that leasing a car is a deal.

• 5 jtothev // Jan 31, 2010 at 4:54 pm

I live 3 blocks from the Grocery Outlet at MLK & Union. Grocery Outlet is part of the community. They have a program that allows people to nominate families in need to receive grocery donations. Every Friday afternoon from May to October the G.O. hosts the Madrona Farmer's Market in their parking lot. The staff is very friendly and helpful.
    If I'm having a party I swing by to pick up soon-to-be-consumed snacks and ice. They carry brands I recognize at a fraction of retail – Amy's, Kashi, Haagen-Dazs, Ben & Jerry's, Annies, Yogi Tea, Seeds of Change. It's a great place to stock up on organic canned staples like beans and tomatoes.
    Every trip is an adventure because of their rapidly rotating stock. I'm a label reader so scanning the expiration is no big deal to me.
    I shop at Madison Market, TJs and the PCC – why wouldn't I shop here, too?
    Set your preconceptions aside and actually step inside.

• 6 stopgo // Jan 31, 2010 at 4:59 pm

Heya man, I'm not sure you saw this, but I did go in there. Evidence posted in the link below. I think the location you are speaking of sounds like a good spot for a Grocery Outlet, btw.

• 7 jtothev // Jan 31, 2010 at 5:24 pm

stopgo – Please elaborate on what makes MLK and Union a good spot for the Grocery Outlet and how it differs from the former Value Village site in Crown Hill.
    Also, my post was not directed at you; it was a general call for skeptics to stop by and experience a Grocery Outlet.

• 8 bronkitis // Jan 31, 2010 at 5:40 pm

That video was great. That's exactly what I do when I go to Grocery Outlet because I love it so much.

• 9 stopgo // Jan 31, 2010 at 5:48 pm

Just economics. Much more inline with the neighborhood demographics. I can't speak for the GO in MLK though, perhaps it is much nicer than the one I visited in Shoreline.

Near mlk & union – Average Household Income $58,275
    crown hill – Average Household Income $91,468

• 10 angelatini // Feb 1, 2010 at 3:51 pm

Obviously stopgo is Doug11. Even if it isn't exactly the same person he/she has the same tactics and should be treated as such. IGNORE.

• 11 L_D // Feb 7, 2010 at 5:35 am

You think strippers don't like Dicks??

• 12 Nick Millward // Feb 8, 2010 at 8:07 pm

Those opposed to an affordable grocery outlet sound like bigots to me. I hope you never suffer any hardship or illness, and you're forever surrounded by neatly dressed affluent and attractive people.

• 13 jcapatelli // Feb 15, 2010 at 2:50 am

Whole Paycheck?!?! No way. I hope they stay far away from Ballard/Greenwood/Fremont.

I haven't given one dime to Whole Farce since their CEO said he opposes health care for all citizens and also agrees with Rush Limbaugh on climate change.

I don't give my hard-earned money to right-wing businesses. And Whole Foods is now in that category. Stay out of my neighborhood, A-Hole Foods.

• 14 seo plugin // Oct 8, 2014 at 7:07 pm

Hello Web Admin, I noticed that your On-Page SEO is is missing a few factors, for one you do not use all three H tags in your post, also I notice that you are not using bold or italics properly in your SEO optimization. On-Page SEO means more now than ever since the new Google update: Panda. No longer are backlinks and simply pinging or sending out a RSS feed the key to getting Google PageRank or Alexa Rankings, You now NEED On-Page SEO. So what is good On-Page SEO?First your keyword must appear in the title.Then it must appear in the URL.You have to optimize your keyword and make sure that it has a nice keyword density of 3-5% in your article with relevant LSI (Latent Semantic Indexing). Then you should spread all H1,H2,H3 tags in your article.Your Keyword should appear in your first paragraph and in the last sentence of the page. You should have relevant usage of Bold and italics of your keyword.There should be one internal link to a page on your blog and you should have one image with an alt tag that has your keyword….wait there’s even more Now what if i told you there was a simple WordPress plugin that does all the On-Page SEO, and automatically for you? That’s right AUTOMATICALLY, just watch this 4minute video for more information at. Seo Plugin