McDonald’s accident victim identified

Posted by Geeky Swedes on April 28th, 2010

We’ve learned the identity of the man who was run over Monday in the McDonald’s parking lot on Market Street. 67 year old George Ketah was killed when a driver ran over him as she was backing out of a parking space.

The medical examiner says Ketah had lacerations to the lung, liver, and spleen. He also had rib and spinal fractures. His death was ruled accidental and the driver was not arrested.

• 1 kim // Apr 28, 2010 at 6:53 pm

does anyone else find that picture of ronald disturbing?

• 2 bbo // Apr 28, 2010 at 6:54 pm

I feel terribly for Mr. Ketah and his family, also, for the motorist that was involved. Accidents occur each day and a life can be lost in an instant.

• 3 Edog // Apr 28, 2010 at 7:30 pm

But was he on the ground already unconscious, or was he knocked down?

• 4 Ballardemician // Apr 28, 2010 at 7:56 pm

Sounds like brutal way to go. Hopefully we don't have to hear from the “it's a joke-sters” and the “he was a worthless bum” contingent as much as in the previous thread …

• 5 Bark more, Wag Less // Apr 28, 2010 at 8:06 pm

Maybe he thinks the Hamburgler got run over.

• 6 NormFox // Apr 28, 2010 at 9:01 pm

That's what I'm wondering too? Running over someone who's laying on the ground behind your car strikes me as truly unavoidable. Running over someone who's standing upright behind your car (i.e. visible to anyone bothering to pay attention) is frankly inexcusable.

• 7 diarama boy // Apr 28, 2010 at 9:36 pm

this whole incident makes me Grimace.

• 8 LovrienS // Apr 28, 2010 at 9:40 pm

Yes, the circumstances are particularly important in this case. I find it disturbing that the driver isn't being held responsible at all, so I'm hoping the circumstances not mentioned in the articles so far can explain why that is.

• 9 ballardmike // Apr 28, 2010 at 10:15 pm

Pretty sure the police at the scene were able to determine what happened in clear, concise terms.

• 10 pokerguy // Apr 28, 2010 at 10:21 pm

Winner

• 11 pokerguy // Apr 28, 2010 at 10:25 pm

It is pretty evident the guy was already on the ground, since the driver isn't being charged with anything. Had the guy been clearly visible she would have been charged, no doubt. Plus the speed at which they determined there was no fault clearly indicate there were several witnesses to corroborate that.

TBH if those are the facts then I have no sympathy for the drunk, one less bum around to pass out in a parking lot. These people are slowly killing themselves everyday with the bad decisions they make, I have no problem with the process being sped up.

• 12 Name // Apr 29, 2010 at 3:13 am

I just took my kid to playland and wondered what all the flowers were for? When I came back out, I saw a transient standing in front of the flowers praying. I was saddened by that, but thankful that people in this community showed compassion in creating the small memorial.

• 13 Ballardemician // Apr 29, 2010 at 4:27 am

Hey a serious question – if a person is pinned under the tire of a car and it can't be lifted should you drive it off of them? Or do you leave it and wait for emergency services? I'm assuming if they are under the under carriage betwen the wheels there is no option but to wait for help … but under a tire?

• 14 BTown // Apr 29, 2010 at 4:44 am

wow… that is horrible.

• 15 Dweezil // Apr 29, 2010 at 5:34 am

I think having that much weight focused on a single tire would be causing some really bad things like not being able to breathe.

• 16 Melissa // Apr 29, 2010 at 7:33 am

one time I was eating at that McDonald's in my work car, and for the entire time I was eating a homeless man stood directly behind my car, blocking me, and watching me.

I didnt see him approach my car… he was just THERE one moment.

He stayed until I was done eating, and then he left.

It was very creepy.

• 17 woman drivers // Apr 29, 2010 at 12:41 pm

Questions,

1. Why couldn't the female driver see Ketah? Even though he was laying prone, she should of still seen him? How oblivious can you be?

2. Why couldn't the female driver notice that when her back tire hit something, to STOP, instead doing the complete opposite and giving the car gas until the tires roll over Ketah?

This lady SHOULD be charged, if not charged TAKE HER LICENSE AWAY FOR CHRIST SAKES!

• 18 Name // Apr 29, 2010 at 3:45 pm

Judge much?? Must be nice to know all.

• 19 pokerguy // Apr 29, 2010 at 4:15 pm

People can be very tough on the interwebs. You must work at Bali Mart to have known him so well.

• 20 pokerguy // Apr 29, 2010 at 4:44 pm

So despite your complete irrational physcosis I am sorry you lost a friend. That can't be easy. However it seems his death could have been prevented had he been more responsible for himself. The driver was not at fault, meaning it could have been prevented. I am sorry for your loss. What I am not sorry about is being blunt about bums killing themselves, look around, they are drinking themselves to death.

If it comes out that he had a seizure or some other reason why he was face down in the parking lot I will be the first to apologize. Until then I hope George is at peace with god and in a better place.

• 21 foodie // Apr 29, 2010 at 7:31 pm

eating the food at McDonald's is equally creepy

• 22 nwcitizen // Apr 29, 2010 at 10:26 pm

No more disturbing than the callous comments in this thread about the violent death of a fellow human being and the resultant trauma to all those closely involved. Revolting.

• 23 nwcitizen // Apr 29, 2010 at 10:27 pm

• 24 LU // Apr 30, 2010 at 12:17 am

RIP George, your smiling face will be much missed around Ballard.
    And to all those former smug, self-satisfied, cowardly commenters hiding behind the anonimity of your computers: George was a wonderfully sweet man who, in the years i knew him, never did or said anything to harm another person. He just lived his (admitedly troubled) life and let others live theres, which is more than can be said for you folks. Just becouse you have a decent place to live doesnt mean you are a decent person.

• 25 linusrox // Apr 30, 2010 at 4:35 am

That reminds me of that Twilight Zone episode, with the disappearing and reappearing hitchhiker in the rear view mirror? Ach! I am getting the willies just thinking about it!!!

• 26 RawrRawrRawrRawr // Aug 11, 2010 at 12:53 am

TBH that last paragraph is a bit inhumane and slighly messed up.