Updated at 12:45 p.m. A gas leak at the construction site near Swedish Hospital triggered the evacuation of two buildings late this morning, including the building under construction. The hospital was not evacuated.
Seattle Fire says they discovered a gas leak near Tallman Ave. and Market St., and Puget Sound Energy is working on fixing it. We spoke with Terry White, the worker who was working on a the equipment that cut the pipe, and Eric Kelly who was helping on the ground. White tells us they were cutting concrete and there were supposed to be markings on the ground to indicate where not to dig. There were no markings on this spot as they cut the curb. When the two realized the line had been cut, Kelly says he ran inside where firefighters happened to be touring the facility for an inspection.
The leak was discovered at 11:30 a.m., and construction workers evacuated to the sidewalk while firefighters tested the air. Fire engines briefly blocked one lane of Market St. There are no injuries.