Grades hacked at Ballard High School

Posted by Geeky Swedes on April 28th, 2011

Ballard High School is one of three schools affected by stolen teacher passwords. According to KIRO 7, the school district is aware of someone stealing the passwords and changing grades at Ballard, Ingraham and Sealth, “however, all the schools and teachers are at risk,” according to an email written by the district IT staff that was sent to KIRO. According to the email, “the hackers plugged key logger devices into computer USB ports that capture everything entered by the keyboard.”

KIRO has more here.

• 1 Guest // Apr 29, 2011 at 1:43 am

haha yeah right, nobody hacked any teachers. teachers have a habit of getting up and leaving the class room for 10 minutes to make copies. I’ve seen countless kids run up to the teachers computer as they leave for the bathroom, it takes them 2 seconds to change a single test grade on a spread sheet to pass the class. with each teacher dealing with 200+ kids they cant remember individual scores.
    of course the adult world assumes everything is HAX, but the Seattle school system should instead be investigating incompetent teachers that aren’t securing their workstations.

• 2 Guest // Apr 29, 2011 at 2:05 am

in the video interview, one of the interviewed teacher states that “The breach was limited to something called the Easy Grade Pro system, my understanding it that does not give them access to the entire computer system, it just gives them access to the teachers individual grade system”
    She is correct, the easy grade pro system is the equivalent to the teacher’s grading clip board, its the screen they most often have open on their computers. It is a localized database that could not be accessed by an outside log in, or “hacker”. And most students would not go through the process of stealing a password when many teachers are willing to leave it open.

“Now so far the school have no evidence that grades were actually changed”
    because the students were likley changing an individual grade, and there are no recorded logs of changes to the spreadsheet.

my advice- have change logs. thats all you need. students ARE changing grades, all you need is a new program that records every change to the spreadsheet. it would be easy to have alerts for every grade that is changed after its initial entry.

• 3 Guest // Apr 29, 2011 at 4:33 am

Have you been in high school recently? Or had a kid in high school in the past 5 years? Grades are constantly being changed on Easy Grade Pro. Turn in an assignment late, teachers change the grade. Make corrections on a test, the grade gets changed. The teacher puts a grade in incorrectly, student shows assignment and the grade gets changed.

On average, teachers have 160 students, that’s a lot of change logs to go through to find a couple bad seeds.

TL;DR This idea isn’t a good solution. A better solution is for teachers to be more responsible and log out of their accounts more regularly.

• 4 Guest // Apr 29, 2011 at 6:05 am

i am currently in one of the schools in question- so yes, i am seeing this exact problem in motion. teachers are already advised to keep their workstation safe, but not all of these teachers are tech savvy. an older teacher at my school decided to use the password “mathisfun” and once a student randomly guessed it, it was passed along to everyone.
    most grades are not changed constantly by teachers, this is a SEATTLE PUBLIC SCHOOLS, nearly everything is pass/fail. teachers treat easy grade pro as their red pen and grading tables.

i am bewildered that such a large data system has no tracking of changes. currently a teacher cant tell if, when, and who changed the grade.asking them to look for changed grades is asking them to recall from memory whether or not the students current grade is the one they assigned. If easy grade pro already had change logs, they could easily confirm suspicions. but currently they don’t have any actual evidence that any grades were changed, they assume, but cant prove.
    but a simple data change log would report every change in the tables with a date and time, so if the teacher was ever suspicious of a certain grade they could look at the history, and if they know they were not entering grades in first period (most teachers enter grades during their prep period or after school) they can prove the grade was changed.
    most teachers also grade in bursts, they take a stack of papers and enter all 30 grades within an hour. this makes a consistent log of 30 consecutive assignments with the exact title. if all grades are entered by the 30s, every day, and suddenly there is one change to a 100 point test- it would stand out like a sore thumb.

and the logs could be analyzed simply by a newer program, imagine if each teacher was presented daily, on login, with an overview of grade changes sorted by assignment for the previous day
    New grades for assignment A:30
    Changed grades for assignment B:7
    Changed grades for Final Exam:1

Also keep in mind that teenagers are opportunists.if they bombed a giant test and have their overall grade drop to an E, they can either accept the failure and retake the class, or simply change the grade. to a student a single test can mean the difference to getting into the UW or not, so they will camp out the teachers computer and wait until the perfect moment. a watchful teenager can notice patterns throughout the year, and all it takes is the teacher forgetting to log out a single time. The opportunistic teenager could wait for weeks for the perfect moment to change a test grade if their entire future is weighed on it.
    teachers have been told to keep their work stations secure since they first signed their terms of use agreement – its just obviously not working.

• 5 Guest // Apr 29, 2011 at 6:06 am

I am a Junior at Ballard. Something nobody expects is teachers giving students their passwords. LA Teacher (if you want to call her a teacher) Jeanne Reader just lets kids use her personal computer with easy grade pro open, while she is in the classroom. A guy smoked a joint INSIDE her classroom last year but that is a separate matter. Marketing teacher, Jill Zawatski also has been known to give students her password. This password allows students to access Easy Grade Pro from any computer in the school. It also allows students to access the Source (online grade database) from any computer with internet. A teacher’s source account can find the grades for any student in the school, allowing the student with the password to invade the privacy of any student in the school.

• 6 Guest // Apr 29, 2011 at 6:45 am

theres some confusion here.
    a teachers computer password can let students access their computer account, but easy grade pro can NOT be accessed from any other computer.
    it is NOT possible to log into a regular computer in a library, log into a teachers account, and open easy grade pro. easy grade pro is located ONLY on the teachers primary computer(s) which contain the program’s files. Easy grade pro also has a separate password from the computer accounts, so even if a teacher’s computer is on, you cant access easy grade pro unless they LEFT IT OPEN.

teachers have different reasonings to giving out their passwords. most teachers of computer classes share their password to select trusted students so they can bypass the schools filter (the filter that filters the same pages for grades K-12). Bypassing the school’s filter is required to get anything helpful accomplished on the internet, as the district blocks every page that might offend a 5 year old.
    but their password still does not aid in grade changing, that can still only be accomplished through their main workstation(s). the only instance of grade changing is through that computer when the teacher isn’t paying attention.
    and yes- this means that even if students DID hack the teachers password, they would still have to wait for them to leave the room to change their grades.

• 7 Camron // Apr 29, 2011 at 5:30 pm

Straight out of Ferris Bueler’s Day Off

• 8 Anonymous // Apr 29, 2011 at 8:57 pm

Hey Guest

Since you’re a stellar example of what Ballard High School turns out did you miss the day that they taught proper sentence structure and capitalization?

• 9 TB // Apr 29, 2011 at 10:42 pm

Well, he hacked his attendance. I think the Matthew Broderick comparison is really with “WarGames”.

• 10 Guest // Apr 30, 2011 at 10:47 am

AP student, what what?
    I’m not wasting my time on proper sentence structure and capitalization, its the internet. Don’t be pissed that I can think of more then one sentence to say. Silly adults thinking you understand the internet…

• 11 Guest // Apr 30, 2011 at 7:22 pm

Something you apparently haven’t learned is the difference between posting on a community forum and something like /b/.

• 12 Guest // May 4, 2011 at 4:30 am

usually people don’t pick apart comments on community sites, some of them actually enjoy knowing the truth instead of what the Media’s coverage of it is.
    I guess some of you just get little hard-ons from correcting people on the internet.

• 13 ghost hacc // Jan 30, 2015 at 8:51 am

World Best Hackers: Our Set of proffessionals provide Quality Hacking Services. We have series of testimonies from our clients Worldwide.
    We are based in the usa and We are Proficient in Hacking every areas of ICT which include:

* Hack and access DATA FROM ANY COMPANY WEBSITEs
    * FUND TRANSFER FROM ANY BANK WEBSITE
    * HACK AND UPGRADE UNIVERSITY GRADES
    * SALES OF HACKING SOFTWARES & ONLINE TUTORIALs
    * HACK INTO YOUR PARTNER’s FACEBOOK ACCOUNT without their knowledge/Notification
    * Hack into any GOVERNMENT AGENCY WEBSITE
    * HIJACK A USERNAME & PASSWORD TO ACCESS ANY SITE
    * Hack into SECURITY AGENCY WEBSITE and ERASE CRIMINAL RECORDS
    * HACK AND OBTAIN CASH ADVANCES
    * HACK AND OBTAIN SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBER
    * Hack into any DATA BASE
    * Hack PAYPAL ACCOUNT, MASTERCARD, AMERICAN EXPRESS etc.
    * SERVER CRASHED hack
    * WE ARE EXPERTS IN DATA AND FILES RECOVERY…
    * HACK BANK ATM CARD, PIN and PASSWORD DEVELOPMENT

NOTE

We Offer Expert trainings on hacking and Pin Generation with our e-Book and online tutorials
    * Is your partner cheating on you, we can teach you how to Hack into their phone, monitor their text and conversation.
    * Hack and use Credit Card to shop online
    * Monitor any phone and email address

reach us on here : haccc@cyberservices.com

• 14 ghost hacc // Jan 30, 2015 at 8:52 am

helo there do you need help? a hacking problem? troubled times? cheating spouse bad coworker?trouble at school?bully? DID A BUSSINESS PARTNER CHEAT YOU? WANT HIM TRACKED ? GET AT US need a certified GREY or BLACK HAT hacker?
    my team and i offer services that can help you solve your corporate issues and make your private life better ,we hack into WEBSITE hack,YAHOO,GMAIL,HOTMAIL,AOL,GMX,FACEBOOK,TWITTER,WORDPRESS,VARIOUS ACCOUNT IDS email accounts to PENETRATION TESTING,SECURITY AUDITS,SERVER HACK,UPGRADE OF RESULTS,GENERAL CONSULTATION help get answers about online activities,ALSO PREPARE CUSTOMIZED KEYLOGGERS FOR SALE ,, gaining acces via servers i can hack an account in a period of 1 to 3 days depending on the terms of our deal.i dont chat or im ,i just recieve and reply email .accept payment via bitcoin and hardly via western union CREDIT CARDS FOR SALE ,LOGINS FOR SALE
    .contact us on our EMAIL at =============== > HACCC@CYBERSERVICES.COM we are here to help you anytime.

• 15 ghost hacc // Jan 30, 2015 at 8:53 am

* Computer hacking
    * web hacking
    * Email hacking {gmail, yahoo, hotmail, aol, facebook etc.}
    * mobile hacking
    * network hacking
    * score upgrade
    * remover of name from driving record.
    * online banking hacking
    * password hacking
    * online bank hacking
    * sale credit card
    * sales of bank login
    * sales and hacking of PayPal
    contact him on this email.
    reach us on here : haccc@cyberservices.com

• 16 sucess // Feb 15, 2015 at 8:59 am

do you need a hack to upgrade your scores, break into a website, hack into a Facebook account, into phones etc do get back at us success.hacker909@mail.com.

• 17 louis // Feb 28, 2015 at 6:45 am

contact this dude if you have got any real problems contact this due , he just saved my life , time conscious and real . adam_loudon@outlook.com (570) 290-8280

• 18 marlene // Apr 9, 2015 at 4:43 pm

If you do not wanna get ripped off, Contact the real hackers at prohacx0@gmail.com.

Fast and do not give excuses . I was trying to save my marriage , My husband was cheating serially and It hurt both me and my kids. This guy gave me proof and I had to leave him even though he was my first love for 15 years.

If you decide to hire him, tell him Maria referred you because he’s quite selective .

• 19 GENIOUS HELPED // Apr 17, 2015 at 12:17 pm

In the midst of many fake and incompetent hacker. I there is one you can trust to deliver. I was not paid to do this for him. But I did promise him to give him a testimony, if he can take me out of the of probation mess and he did, so I am here to give to tell about him. I only asked for a grade change which he did, so will not say he is perfect in others, because I have tried him with other stuffs, I will come back here to testify if i try him with other hacking deal in the future. You too can try for yourself. I assure you he is reliable and he is a genius with school grade change
    you can contact him using his email: besthacklords@gmail.com

• 20 Anonymous // Apr 19, 2015 at 3:32 pm

HOW I GOT A BLANK ATM CARD WITH THE HELP OF AN INDIAN BASED HACKERS(atmindiahacker@gmail.com).
    Hello every one out there, i wanna share this good news to the world on how i got a blank ATM card that enriched me lately. Be smart and become rich in less than 3 days it all depends on how fast you can be to get the trending new Programmed Blank ATM Card that is capable of hacking into any ATM machine anywhere in the world except India where the cards are made and some Africa countries. I got to know about this Blank ATM Card when I was searching for job online about a month ago. At first i was skeptical and i thought it was a fraud but i took a bold step and gave it a trial and today it has really changed my life for good and now I can say I’m rich and I can never be poor again. In a day i was able to withdraw $5000 USD with this card it was unbelievable. Every now and then I keeping pumping money into my account. Though is illegal but there is no risk of being caught because it has been programmed in such a way that it is untraceable and it also has a technique that makes it impossible for the CCTVs camera to detect the user. For details on how to get yours today email the Indian hackers at: (atmindiahacker@gmail.com) Only serious individuals should contact them because they are very straight forward and if they ask you who sent you just simply say “Lin” they will respond to you.
    They also told me they do all kinds of hacking jobs and bank transfer.
    Good luck!!

• 21 Testimony // Apr 26, 2015 at 1:19 am

I will not mention my name and country in this testimony, for security reasons.
    I am a good person and carelessly got myself involved in a crime that has affected me so much and has almost ruin my entire future. Next year I will be graduating from college and that is going to do a great damage to my backgroung if checked and will make it difficult for me to get a job. I got worried and contacted this guy that has helped me remove my charge from all online profile check. I did a background check on myself too and the charge is no longer there and have as well asked someone to help me check and the charge is no longer there. Thanks Hack Lords I can have a bright future now. I am going to place this testimony anywhere possible, because you have actually done what you promised and have prove yourself competent.
    You can contact him with his email: besthacklords@gmail.com

• 22 Ray // May 2, 2015 at 11:18 am

Thanks Hack Lords for putting smile on my face again, after I have been scammed by some so called hackers here. Thanks for helping me change my school grades successfully, I can now walk with head up and can now face my family; before you start judging me here, it is not that I like to cheat, but I found myself in this helpless situation and am sure there are some of you out there who found yourselves in this kind of situation too, based on past mistake. @ Hack Lords, I have recommended two people to you already and they said you have started their job. I do wish to tell more about your competence, like I did promised you. I can boldly recommend this guy to any of you here. He is a genius.

This is his email: besthacklords@cyberservices.com

• 23 Magic Hacker // May 8, 2015 at 4:49 am

Do you need a hacker to help hack any web site, Contact @
    magicdatabasehacker@gmail.com

Our services include the following:
    University grades hack
    IPhone Hacking Tricks
    YouTube Hacking Tricks
    Email Hack
    Paypal, MasterCard hack
    Google Hacks
    Facebook Hacking Tricks
    Hacking Software
    Hacking Tricks
    IP Address
    Software Hacking
    Hack Facebook Password Online
    Already hacked online shopping pins for sale at give away price
    Windows Hacking Tricks
    SERVER CRASHED hack
    Game account hacking
    Tagged account
    Untraceable IP etc…..
    Contact with us at

• 24 Christie // May 11, 2015 at 1:30 am

It’s taken over 6 months to find a genuine hacker after having lost thousands of dollars to these fake hackers, every last one posing to be a hacker is a fraud, no hacker has to advertise his services, their work should speak for them, anyway I will drop my contact, get in touch with me so I can link you up with him, he’s quite skeptical about who he works for so you’ll have to go through me, here’s my contact, hartwichchristie@gmail.com

• 25 WHITE // May 15, 2015 at 4:52 am

DON’T BE SCAMMED
    for credit hack, up of your credit score, change of grades, card hacks, internet security against hackers, blank credit card, listen to voice conversation and text message hack, mail hack, social network hacks and any other hackings, contact frank_zues@outlook.com

• 26 Magic Hacker // May 15, 2015 at 8:33 am

Magice Hacker here on your door step:
    Do you want a QUICK and the most INTELLIGENT hack service?
    Have you been failing your courses in school and want to UPGRADE YOUR
    SCHOOL SCORES AND GRADES?
    Then it is your luck day to met the most EFFICIENT, RELIABLE, SWIFT and

KNOW IF HE IS CHEATING
    x UNTRACEABLE INTERNET PROTOCOL etc
    x HAVE YOU OR YOUR CHILD BEEN BULLIED ONLINE BEFORE AND WANT TO GET BACK AT
    THE PERSON, WE CAN HELP YOU TRACE THE ACTUAL LOCATION OF THE PERSON AND
    DO WHATEVER YOU REQUEST TO THE PERSONS COMPUTER
    x IS ANYONE BLACKMAILING YOU ONLINE AND YOU WANT US TO GET INTO THEIR
    COMPUTER AND DESTROY DATA AND EVIDENCES AGAINST YOU?

contact us at: magicdatabasehacker@gmail.com

• 27 GURUSHACKERS // May 15, 2015 at 10:02 pm

WE ARE NOT JUST HACKERS WE ARE GURUS. GOOD HACKERS SHOW PROOF OF WORK AND THIS IS EVIDENT FROM THE TESTIMONIES OF OUR NUMEROUS CLIENTS FROM ALL OVER THE WORLD THAT WE HAVE HELPED PUT SMILE TO THEIR FACES.
    CONTACT US FOR YOUR:
    -University grades changing
    -Facebook hack
    -email interception hack
    -email accounts hack
    -Grade Changes hack
    -Website crashed hack
    -Word Press Blogs hack
    -Retrieval of lost file/documents
    -Erase criminal records hack
    -Databases hack
    -Sales of Dumps cards of all kinds
    -Untraceable Ip
    -Bank accounts hack
    -Individual computers hack
    -Websites hack
    -Control devices remotely hack
    -Burner Numbers hack
    -Verified Paypal Accounts hack
    -Any social media account hack
    -Android & iPhone Hack
    -server crashed hack
    -Text message interception hack
    -Twitters hack
    -Skype hack
    -Credit cards hacker
    -We can drop money into bank accounts.
    – credit score hack
    -blank credit card sale
    We can also teach you how to do the following
    with our e-book and online tutorials
    * Hack and use Credit Card to shop online
    * Monitor any phone and email address
    * Tap into anybody’s call and monitor their
    conversation
    CONTACT: gurushackers@yahoo.com

• 28 F H // May 19, 2015 at 1:11 pm

Need to hack email, website, social media account (facebook, IG, twitter), change your college grades, check if your partner is cheating on you? Contact: fasthacker234@gmail.com

• 29 Hackers Hoods // May 21, 2015 at 10:28 pm

We are Hackershoods, an Indian based hacking team, with excellent records in our field. We render the following services at affordable price.
    *University grades changing
    *Any social media account hack
    *Android & iPhone Hack
    *Word Press Blogs hack
    *Text message interception hack
    *email interception hack
    *Skype hack *Credit cards hacker
    *We can drop money into bank accounts (All Bank,American,Chartered Bank,Banco Popular,Bank of Albuquerque, Bank of Arizona,Bank of Arkansas,Bank of Oklahoma,Univest Bank and Trust Co.,USAA Federal Savings Bank,Fifth Third Bank,UniBank,Old Second National Bank,Fidelity Investment bank,Centennial Bank,Zions Bank,Bell State Bank & Trust,arvest bank,American Trust Bank of East Tennessee,Academy Bank,Armed Forces Bank,Simmons First Bank,Cole Taylor Bank etc.)

Contact us at hackershoods@gmail.com

• 30 Smart // May 22, 2015 at 12:29 pm

Do you need help changing your grades? Do you want to check what your partner is up to when you are not with them? Do you want to hack facebook, whatsapp or any other social media? Do you wan to erase any criminal records or spy on your employees? CONTACT smarthacker@inbox.com
    We also see and install surveillance cameras

• 31 Basic Hacker // Jun 2, 2015 at 8:04 am

Do you need a hacker to help you hack any web site,
    are you ever want a QUICK and the most INTELLIGENT hack service?
    Then it is your luck day to met the most EFFICIENT, RELIABLE, SWIFT and
    INTELLIGENT hack team alive…Basic Hacker.
    Our services include the following service:

-University grades hack
    -IPhone Hacking Tricks
    -YouTube Hacking Tricks
    -Email Hack
    -Paypal, MasterCard hack
    -Google Hacks
    -Facebook Hacking Tricks
    -Hacking Software
    -Hacking Tricks
    -IP Address
    -Software Hacking
    -Hack Facebook Password Online
    -Already hacked online shopping pins for sale at give away price
    -Windows Hacking Tricks
    -Control devices remotely hack
    -Android Hacking Tricks
    -KEYLOGGER
    -constantly get Free TalkTime from your network provider
    -Gmail Hacking Tricks
    -Twitter Hacking
    -Hack SECURITY AGENCY WEBSITE and ERASE CRIMINAL RECORDS
    -Hack any BANK WEBSITE
    -Hack any Company Website
    -Hack any government agency websit
    -Hack into any DATA BASE
    -Hack Work-Press Blogs
    -Server Crashed hack
    -Game account hacking
    -Tagged account
    -Untraceable IP etc…..

Contact us at: basichacker@hotmail.com

• 32 Dynamite // Jun 3, 2015 at 5:00 am

Dynamic cracker is a proven hack team with clinical accuracy and numerous proofs. We
    render these services:
    ~Hacking of all company website
    ~Hacking of university website and Grades upgrade
    ~ Hacking of all social media
    ~Hacking of all Banks website
    ~Hacking of WordPress Blogs
    ~Hacking of Security Institution and get Criminal Records wiped out
    ~Hacking of Government agency
    ~Hacking of Database
    ~Hacking of Email and Text message
    ~Hacking of Paypal Account
    ~Hacking Server crashed
    ~Hacking of all phones and untraceable Ip and other hackings.
    For further enquiry, contact us at dynamiccracker55@gmail.com

• 33 Mark // Jun 7, 2015 at 10:26 am

Do You Need a Hacker? To Change Your Grades; Correct Your Transcript; Gain Access To Facebook, Twitter, Instagram or Other Social Media; Spy On Your Employees etc…Contact: smarthacker@inbox.com to get the job done for you!

• 34 Ccddaacca // Jun 10, 2015 at 8:16 am

Need hacker? 7632808650

Serious inquiries only .

• 35 debbiie // Jun 13, 2015 at 11:29 am

hi there my name is deb, if you are stuck or in need of a brilliant mind to help hack your cheating spouse phone,text ,email or account contact blackhatcreator@gmail.com he is simply genius

• 36 Roger // Jun 14, 2015 at 2:15 pm

Be warned, most of these so called hackers are imposters, I’ve been ripped off 4 times already, thankfully my friend gave me a reliable contact, he works with discretion and delivers, he does all sorts of hacks, I would prefer to let his services speak for itself, his contact is yugenroschovic@gmail.com, you can also text him on +19123872604 if he asks where you got his contact you can say from Roger, he’s quite picky.

• 37 lolly // Jun 14, 2015 at 6:25 pm

Need Professional Hacker? +1 7632808650

• 38 jennifer rollins // Jun 19, 2015 at 8:48 am

my name is jennifer rollins,if you need hacking into a cheating spouse phone,email,Facebook,bank statements etc,you really need the blackhatcreator@gmail.com.i read a post by Debbie milller,she connected me with him he is a masterclass at this hacking stuff,it’s so discrete and interesting,tell him i refereed you pleaseee……i promised i would help in any way since he did the same for me.

• 39 malcom // Jun 19, 2015 at 8:48 am

Be warned, most of these so called hackers are imposters, I’ve been ripped off 4 times already, thankfully my friend gave me a reliable contact, he works with discretion and delivers, he does all sorts of hacks, I would prefer to let his services speak for itself, you can contact him at greyhatshadowhacker2002@gmail.com, you can also text him on +13128343470 if he asks where you got his contact you can say from Roger, he’s quite picky.

• 40 Philipp // Jun 21, 2015 at 4:18 pm

I know how real hackers work, they never advertise in such a gullible manner they are always discrete, this guy Mr Baelish is the real deal and I’m a living proof, here’s his contact though just in case, hackbaelish69@gmail.com, if at all he acts reluctant you tell him Philipp referred you cos he’s very sensitive,plus the feds are always watching!

• 41 hackers hoods // Jul 1, 2015 at 11:03 pm