Ballard is pretty close to defending our title in the city’s Walk Bike Ride Challenge. Earlier this summer, we told you about the challenge, in which the city is encouraging people to walk, bike or ride the bus more often. The Seattle Department of Transportation (SDOT) asks participants to switch at least two car trips to more environmentally friendly modes of transit, and the contest last through July and August. And, so far, Ballard is in third place in the challenge.
Here are some stats on Ballard so far in the competition (from SDOT):
- #3 in trips switched to walking, biking, or riding
- #1 in number of participants signed up
- #1 in miles of driving saved so far
- 2,285 total miles saved so far
There’s also an individual competition in which the winner takes home the following loot:
- An electric bike from Electric Bikes Northwest
- An overnight stay at Pan Pacific Hotel in South Lake Union
- A Zipcar 1-year membership & 5+ hours of driving credit
- $100 Nordstrom gift card (courtesy of Commute Seattle)
- $100 REI gift card
- $100 farmers’ market gift card (accepted at seven farmers’ markets)
There are still five weeks left in the competition. To learn more, click here.