Residents escaped a house fire in the 2800 block of NW 75th St. yesterday, which was determined to be caused by overheated electrical wiring in a second-floor crawl space.
Video courtesy Jason Hall
The Seattle Fire Department responded to the 911 call at about 3 p.m. on Sunday. Kyle Moore from the Seattle Fire says firefighters arrived to find all occupants evacuated and smoke coming from a second floor bedroom. “Firefighters raced hose line into the house while a Ladder Company cut holes in the roof to provide ventilation and release of the built up smoke and gases in the house,” according to Moore. “The flames extended into the walls, crawl spaces, attic and roof of the house.” In less than 20 minutes, firefighters were able to extinguish the blaze.
Moore says one occupant was evaluated for minor smoke inhalation, but did not need to be transported for more medical attention. Total damage to the home was estimated at $50,000 to the contents and $100,000 to the structure.