One of the oldest and most recognizable buildings in Ballard is up for nomination to be designated a city landmark. The Carnegie Free Public Library, which now houses the popular Kangaroo and Kiwi pub, is being nominated before the Seattle Landmarks Preservation Board today at 3:30 p.m. in the Seattle Municipal Tower (700 5th Avenue, 40th floor, Room 4060). The public is invited to the meeting and make comments.
The library was built in 1904, before Ballard was annexed into the city of Seattle. According to Historic Seattle’s Preservation Blog, when Ballard officially became part of Seattle in 1907, the library became a branch of the Seattle Public Library system. It operated as a functional library until 1963, when a new library was built at 5711 24th Ave. NW the current Ballard library was built. The Carnegie Library was then sold to a private owner, according to Historic Seattle. The current owner, Karoline Morrison, acquired the building in 1977. Morrison does not support the nomination.
Click here to read Historic Seattle’s article about the nomination.