By Danielle Anthony-Goodwin
This Saturday St. Alphonsus Parish School will take part in celebrating Seattle’s 19th Annual Neighbor Appreciation Day. Prepare to see students dressed in their uniforms on their day off delivering cookies to many local businesses!
St. Al’s want to recognize the support that the school receives through donations from the community. Families volunteer to bake cookies which will be brought to the school tomorrow, ready to be boxed up and delivered on Saturday with a thank you card printed with student artwork.
“It is a fun and rewarding day for the students and just another way that the school encourages its school-wide learning expectations of demonstrating compassion through service and participating as an active and involved citizen in his/her community” said interim Principal Joe Budde.
Neighbor Appreciation Day was suggested in 1995 by Phinney Ridge activist Judith Wood who said that “a special day should be appointed to celebrate the goodness in those around us and to reach out and strengthen our bonds to each other.” Mayor Norm Rice decided that the Saturday before Valentine’s Day would be the date of the celebration and it has been observed every year since.
Check out the list below of other local events taking place this Saturday to celebrate the special day:
- Work party and restoration event at Golden Gardens (8498 Seaview Pl NW) from 9 a.m.
- Mystery Book Exchange at Phinney Center (6532 Phinney Ave N) at 10 a.m.
- Guided Stairway Walk at Golden Gardens (8498 Seaview Pl NW) from 10 a.m. – 12 p.m.
- Ballard Fire Station Open House (1521 NW Market Street) from 11 a.m. – 1 p.m.
- Ballard Pool Neighbor Appreciation Day at Ballard Pool (1471 NW 67th St) from 12:30 p.m. to 1:30 p.m.
- Concert to benefit Ballard Food Bank held at Ballard Odd Fellows Hall (1706 NW Market St) at 7 p.m.
Click here for more details and for a list of other events that are happening across the city this Saturday.
If your organization or business is planning something email us at firstname.lastname@example.org and we will add the event to the list!
Have fun out in our wonderful neighborhood appreciating all that we have!
Photo courtesy of St. Alphonsus Parish School.