The weekend is here and the sun is shining just in time for Mother’s Day! Check out the great events going on in and around our neighborhood on our weekly weekend roundup.
Friday May 10:
- Launch of new book “The Originals” by author Cat Patrick at Secret Garden Bookstore (2214 NW Market St) from 7 p.m. – 8 p.m. Attendees will be treated to clone-worthy food and beverages like DNA cupcakes and test tube punch, then a (humorous) dramatic reading featuring Cat and her You Are Next tour mates, Sean Beaudoin (The Infects), Martha Brockenbrough (Devine Intervention), and Kevin Emerson (The Lost Code), during which time it is possible that boys will read—and dress—as girls. There will be a photo-cloning station for participants and their look-alikes. Click here for more details.
Saturday May 11:
- Golden Gardens Work Party at Golden Gardens Park (8498 Seaview Pl NW) from 9 a.m. to 12 p.m. For more information click here or email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Bergen Place Work Party (5420 22nd Ave NW) from 9 a.m. – 11 a.m. All are welcome. For more details contact Victoria Sangrey Hunter at (206) 335-8391 or email email@example.com
- Carkeek Park Family Low Tide Beach Walk (950 NW Carkeek Park Rd) from 11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. Search for anemones, moon snails, and clams during a great low tide. Learn more about life in Puget Sound.All are welcome and the event is free. Click here for more details.
- Sound Cycling Series at Ballard Library (5614 22nd Ave NW) from 12 p.m. – 2 p.m. Anne and Tim King, long-time Seattle bike bloggers at carfreedays.com, will discuss how to get started biking in Seattle. Workshop is free and all are welcome.
- Free Them 5km/10km Run/Walk to Stop Human Trafficking is being held in Fremont. Click here for more details.
- VolunteerGo Kick Off Event at Ballard Odd Fellows Hall (1706 NW Market St) from 7:30 p.m. Show your support for volunteers everywhere by helping make VolunteerGo a reality. Enjoy live entertainment, a DJ and raffle with awesome prizes. Tickets are $10. Click here for more information.
Sunday May 12:
- Autumn Martin’s Mother’s Day Cooking Class at Hot Cakes Molten Cakery (5427 Ballard Ave NW) at 2 p.m. Martin is hosting a special class for moms and kids, of all ages. During the hour-long class Martin will demo a creamy dreamy shake, a brand new preserved Meyer lemon caramel sauce, and her award-winning sea salt caramel sauce. The cost for the class is $50 per person, and it includes a signed copy of her new book Malts & Milkshakes and a 7 oz. jar of Pacific Coast Sea Salt Caramel. To reserve a spot, please call 206.420.3431. Space is limited.
- Ballard Farmer’s Markets on Ballard Ave from 10 a.m. – 3 p.m. Head on down and buy something special for Mom. Click here to see what’s happening this week.
- Carkeek Park Family Low Tide Beach Walk (950 NW Carkeek Park Rd) from 12 p.m. to 1:30 p.m. Search for anemones, moon snails, and clams during a great low tide. Learn more about life in Puget Sound.All are welcome and the event is free. Click here for more details.
- Discovery Park Family Low Tide Beach Walk (3801 Discovery Park Blvd) from 11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. Explore the intertidal world of sea stars and clams. The walk is perfect for young children. All are welcome and the event is free. Click here for more details.
- Mom and Me Event at Woodland Park Zoo (601 N 59th St). Mom’s receive half price on Zoo entry all day on Mother’s Day. Click here to check out a list of the special Mother’s Day events.
- Taylor Sherman Exhibition Opening at Seattle Creative Arts Center (2601 NW Market St) from 3 p.m. – 6 p.m. The subjects range from abstract colors and shapes, to landscapes and foliage, to occasionally even people. This show focuses exclusively on photographs taken in and around Ballard in 2012 and 2013. Click here for more information.
Know of more events on this weekend? Want to include a special shoutout or photo for Mom in our special Mother’s Day post? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Photo courtesy of Woodland Park Zoo.