By Bucky Beaver
Ballard High School opens up their 2013 football season this Friday night in a cross-neighborhood matchup with Blanchet High School. The Beavers, coming off a 2-8 record in 2012, play at 5:00 pm at Blanchet High School (6-4 in 2012). This is the second year in a row these two schools have played—hopefully continuing to build on last year’s exciting game. In last year’s matchup Blanchet stopped a last minute Ballard drive to secure a 7-6 victory in front of a packed crowd.
Photo by Ed Tanaka
Once again Ballard will have a tough schedule playing three teams ranked in the top 10 in the state:
- O’Dea (number 2 in State) September 13th at Memorial Stadium
- Kennedy High School (number 8 in State) September 21st at Highline Stadium
- Garfield September 27th at Memorial Stadium
- Newport High School October 4th at Newport
- Defending state champion Skyline (number 3 in State) October 11th at Memorial Stadium
- Issaquah October 18th at Memorial Stadium for Homecoming
- Roosevelt October 25th at Memorial Stadium for the Anchor Bowl trophy.
Although Ballard lost a number of starters from last year’s team, the Beavers have one of their largest senior classes they have had in years. Specifically, the Beavers return a number of starters from last year’s offensive and defensive lines which hope to provide a strong foundation on both sides of the ball.
The latest information on Beaver football, including schedule, can be found at their web site: www.football.ballardathletics.org
If you cannot make the game follow the action on Twitter: http://twitter.com/BallardHSSports