Swedish Hospital seeking participants for tremor treatment trial

Posted by Meghan Walker on September 30th, 2013

The Swedish Neuroscience Institute (SNI) is looking for patients willing to participate in a trial that will use a new technology to treat tremors with sound rather than surgery. According to Swedish Hospital, the new technology is a promising alternative to surgery for the common neurological disorder known as essential tremor (ET), which causes a rhythmic shaking of trembling of hands and arms, affecting one out of every 25 adults over 40. The disorder is often confused with Parkinson’s disease, but ET causes disabilities that disrupt basic daily activities and worsens over time, sometimes causing patients to lose the ability to feed or care for themselves.

The new technology to treat patients uses focused ultrasound treatment, and will be headed up by Dr. Stephen Monteith, who has been recruited to work at the SNI. “It’s all about quality of life and things that actually matter to people – eating, dressing, going to the bathroom,” Dr. Monteith said in a release. “Tremor can make it impossible to drink a glass of water or cup of coffee, write a letter and do many other things most of us take for granted. But we’ve seen all that come back with this treatment. People are gaining their independence again.”

Dr. Monteith is seeking 10 patients to take part in the study. Adults who have been diagnosed with ET and want to participate should contact the research department at 206-320-3070.

• 1 Judy Roberts // Mar 1, 2014 at 11:07 am

I am very interested in this and looking forward to hearing back from you.
    Thanks.
    Judy

• 2 claude adkins // Apr 6, 2014 at 2:54 pm

interested in trial treatment for tremors

• 3 Harry Hill // May 22, 2014 at 9:32 am

I have essential tremors and am very interested in a treatment for my problem.

• 4 Angela Yeo // Jun 15, 2014 at 4:32 am

I have ET and very interested in trial treatment.

• 5 ilene lizotte // Jul 3, 2014 at 8:20 am

i am from canada and very interested in this trx i have had essential tremor for many years but is worsening tremor of head and right hand would be excited about doing the trial

• 6 Carol Patterson // Jul 7, 2014 at 8:38 am

I have had ET for many years, as have many family members. I am interested in this trial.

• 7 Shirley Juliff // Jul 8, 2014 at 9:22 pm

I have been diagnosed with Ataxia, Dystonia, and am having head and body tremor. I believe my father had Ataxia. I am interested in focused ultra sound and would be very interested in your research and trial.

• 8 Martha crist // Jul 22, 2014 at 6:58 am

I have essential tremors was diagnosed at 25 I am now 64 and can not take medication for this ET. So I live with it. I am very interested in the your study.

• 9 Luz Galeano // Jul 27, 2014 at 1:42 pm

Soy Colombiana Profesora Universitaria en receso por ET hereditario. Me interesa mucho participar en estaa investigación que me servirá a mi y a otras muchas personas.
    Gracias

• 10 Luz Galeano // Jul 27, 2014 at 1:45 pm

Soy Colombiana. Profesora Universitaria en receso. Me interesa mucho participar en esta investigación me servirá a mi y a otras muchas personas.
    Gracias

• 11 Barbara Thorpe // Aug 19, 2014 at 9:02 pm

I’ve had essential tremors most of my life and it’s started to affect my voice (vocal fold tremors). My handwriting is terrible! If the study is still going, I’d be interested in participating.