By Joe Veyera
A pair of Ballard breweries are among the 18 Seattle-area restaurants participating in the fifth-annual Spoke & Food biking and dining event next Tuesday.
Each participating restaurant has agreed to donate 20 percent of all patron revenue from the evening of the event to the non-profit chosen by event organizers.
This year, the Seattle based non-profit Outdoors for All Foundation will receive the evening’s proceeds. The foundation provides year round instruction in outdoor recreation for people with physical, developmental, and sensory disabilities.
Last year, over $6,000 was raised for Bike Works, up from the approximately $4,500 raised for the FamilyWorks Resource Center & Food Bank in 2012, and the $3,200 raised for the Children’s Garden Program at Seattle Tilth in 2011.
According to their website, the top goal for organizers is to influence the culture of Seattle by prompting people to use their bicycle more in their daily life. Other event goals include:
1. To improve our community by creating an event that people can do in their local neighborhoods.
2. To promote a healthy lifestyle by creating an event that requires exercise.
3. To improve our city’s regard for the environment by exposing how easy it is to not use our cars for simple activities such as going to dinner.
4. To raise funds for well-deserving local non-profits.
5. To expose how fun biking to dinner is!
For more information on the event, click here.