Ballard feels the usual buzz of live music this weekend, but may feel sleepy due to on-and-off drizzle the whole weekend.
We see a high of 71 degrees today, with a chance of returning rain. Tomorrow, an almost sure chance of rain accompanies mid-temperatures; a similar pattern for Sunday sees a 60 percent chance of rain.
Weather-allowing, a couple outdoor movies play in Ballard this Friday night (August 28). Meanwhile, Populuxe Brewing hosts their last summer family fun day this Sunday, and a paint nite event takes place at Ballard Annex.
Watch out for downtown traffic due to PAX Seattle, which runs Friday through Monday, August 31. Also, a free Seattle Center Concert at the Mural plays this Friday with a ‘Swingin’ Roadhouse Night’ theme to end the 2015 series.
FRIDAY, August 28
- Movie night: The Lego Movie– Sweet Mickey’s candy shop hosts “The Lego Movie” at Ballard Commons park beginning at dusk (about 8 p.m.). The event is free and open to the public.
- Movie night: Finding Nemo– Shilshole Bay Marina (7001 Seaview Ave NW) rescheduled a showing of “Finding Nemo” beginning around 8:30 p.m.
- Live Music
- Blues/Country/Folk at Conor Byrne Pub (5140 Ballard Ave NW) at 9 p.m. Featuring Julia Massey & The Five Finger Discount, Crying Shame, and Joy Mills. Tickets $8.
- Blues/Country/Folk at Tractor Tavern (5213 Ballard Ave NW) at 9 p.m. Featuring The Blackberry Bushes and Guests. Tickets $10.
- Blues/Country/Folk at Sunset Tavern (5433 Ballard Ave NW) at 9 p.m. Featuring The Lonesome Billies, Norman Baker and the Backroads, and Mts. & Tunnels. Tickets $8.
- Blues/Country/Folk at Ballard Homestay (6541 Jones Ave NW) at 7:30 p.m. Featuring Byrne & Kelly. Tickets $35/$40.
- Jazz at Egan’s Ballard Jam House (1707 NW Market St). Featuring Chip Parker with Darin Clendenin, Geoff Cooke and Brad Boal at 7 p.m. Shalane Miller, with Jesse Sullivan, Eric Hullander and Paul Miranda at 9 p.m. Tickets $10/$7.
SATURDAY, August 29
- Free yoga in the park: Every Saturday starting July 25th a free yoga class will be held in Ballard Commons Park with instructors from the Ballard Health Club. 10:30 a.m.-11:30 a.m. Saturdays through September. Bring a yoga mat! All levels of experience welcome.
- Work party at Shilshole gateway– Sunset Hill pulls weeds to help keep the sightlines open at the 36th Ave NW median, starting at the north end. Some gloves, tools, and safety vests will be provided as well as and light refreshments. Contact: Dave Boyd, 498-6636
- Live Music
- Summer Concerts at the Ballard Locks Botanical Gardens: 2 p.m. Featuring Altaeus Woodwind Quintet- music performance of all periods of classic music.
- Indie Rock at Conor Byrne Pub (5140 Ballard Ave NW) at 9 p.m. Featuring Cathedral Pearls, The Echolarks, and TBD. Tickets $8.
- Jazz/Cabaret, Rock/Pop at Tractor Tavern (5213 Ballard Ave NW) at 9 p.m. Featuring TubaLuba and The Fabulous Party Boys. Tickets $10.
- Rock/Pop at Sunset Tavern (5433 Ballard Ave NW) at 9 p.m. Featuring Wesafari and Hand of the Hills. Tickets $8.
- Jazz at Egan’s Ballard Jam House (1707 NW Market St). Featuring University Prep Jazz Combos and the Jason Parker Quartet at 7 p.m. Chris McCarthy Trio at 9 p.m. Tickets $10.
SUNDAY, August 30
- Ballard Farmer’s Market along Ballard Ave from 10 a.m.-3 p.m. Click here to see this week’s specials.
- Family Fun Day at Populuxe–Populuxe Brewing (826 NW 49th St.) hosts their monthly Family Fun Day from 3- 6:30 p.m., the last one of the summer. A bubble bar will be available for the kiddos, along with facepainting, Dizzy’s Tumblebus and more (all complimentary). Food and ice cream available for purchase from No Bones About It and Balleywood Creamery. For more information view facebook event page.
- Paint Nite at Ballard Annex Oyster– paint with a master artist from 2- 4 p.m., eat and drink, and take home your creation.
- Live Music
- Summer Concerts at the Ballard Locks Botanical Gardens: 2 p.m. Featuring Big band music by Lynnwood Community Band.
- Open mic at Conor Byrne Pub (5140 Ballard Ave NW) sign-up at 7:30 p.m.
- Rock/Pop at Sunset Tavern (5433 Ballard Ave NW) at 8 p.m. Featuring The Cannanes, The World Record, and Blooper. Tickets $8.