Suspicious man seen going through garbage cans on 17th

Posted by Danielle Anthony-Goodwin on January 27th, 2016

My Ballard reader Michael emailed in to report a man who was seen going through garbage cans on 17th Ave NW between NW 56th and 59th streets on Monday.

Check out Michael’s full report below:

A male, about 5 ½ to 6 feet tall, black knit cap, green army jacket, light gray or khaki backpack and blue jeans, has been going thru garbage cans and recycling bins in this area looking for personal information.

He went through our garbage can at 1722 NW 58th on Monday at around 4 p.m. At the time I also noticed that other garbage cans had been gone through.

Later on Monday, around 8:30 p.m., I noticed him near the corner of NW 17th and NW 56th. He was holding a stack of mail and was going through it and separating it out. I was walking my dog so I did get close enough to see what it was but did not confront him as I was alone with no real way to defend myself had he become violent.

Again yesterday he was lurking around the townhomes right next door to us at 1724 NW 58th St around 4:30 p.m. He walked past each door and then noticed me watching him, so he then hurriedly went out to the street and headed in the other direction to the west.

I know there is only so much that can be done, but hopefully we can get this information out there so that people can keep an eye out.

Did you see this man in the neighborhood? If so email us with your report at tips@myballard.com.

Remember to call 911 if you are ever feel threatened or in case of an emergency.

• 1 Uff da // Jan 29, 2016 at 7:31 am

continuing….@49

…and the exchange on the ST website is a valid questioning why Mayor Ed wasn’t at the meeting —heck he’s never been to a citizen meeting in Magnolia/Ballard/Queen Anne/Fremont where all this is taking place. Then, Scott Lindsay approached the stage and took over the microphone, if I recall correctly. Guess we have to wait for the full video to post on neighborhoodsafetyalliance.org website when those guys get around to it.

Then there was some dude in a red t-shirt with a really loud voice [but not much to say] who really disrupted the meeting, when all this stuff was going on, again if I recall correctly.

• 2 Samantha // Jan 29, 2016 at 8:10 am

Yes, I can not wait to see the full video of the meeting.

I am guessing their was more churlish yelling from the back of the room which really epitomizes the residents of Magnolia, Queen Anne and Ballard.

Do you know what I would do if there were used needles on my lawn?
    I would carefully pick them up. It’s not brain surgery– the SPD even made a flier to show people how easy it is.

My children and pets are precious to me, but only a fool depends on city workers to take care of this stuff.

• 3 MJ98107 // Jan 29, 2016 at 8:50 am

@JM98107 I use alcohol and drugs and have a place to live, so that theory is incorrect.

• 4 Profile photo of JM98107 JM98107 // Jan 29, 2016 at 9:06 am

The vagrants should be arrested and moved to a new hobo village away from the city. The hobo advocates can move-in with them and they can be a happy hobo family.

• 5 Profile photo of JM98107 JM98107 // Jan 29, 2016 at 9:10 am

The Mayor and city council should go live a couple of run-down RV campers for a week. I don’t think they understand the problems created by the transients.

• 6 Profile photo of JM98107 JM98107 // Jan 29, 2016 at 9:11 am

The bum trolls need to get sober.

• 7 MJ98107 // Jan 29, 2016 at 9:33 am

@JM98107 Who’s going to pay to move the homeless people, who’s going to do the moving, where do you move them to and how would you keep them out?

You’re like a broken Justin Bieber record, with harebrained ideas that don’t pan out.

If people like you put even 1/10th of the time you spend ballyhooing on blogs into something productive, this world would be a much better place!

• 8 Profile photo of JM98107 JM98107 // Jan 29, 2016 at 10:10 am

We are paying, at least the tax payers are paying, so pack-up the tarps, RVs, junkies and get them out of town.

• 9 Uff da // Jan 29, 2016 at 10:21 am

Moving these deadbeats out is cheap. It is the keeping of them here that is expensive and toxic part, while it degrades public safety. What is it, something $33,000/year/homeless person? How much for trying to find the drug dealers and manufacturers serving many of them?
    And, Mayor Ed wants to spend more. He wants a $145M tax levy increase this fall for more housing and rehab services, maybe some more police.

• 10 Chicone // Jan 29, 2016 at 12:54 pm

I saw the guy. I heard a noise and looked out at my trash. The lid was off and the bag was torn open and in the street. I heard him rifling through the neighbors and went down the street to confront him but he ran off quick. My impression was he was looking for food, but I could be wrong. He had a shopping cart. He ran off too fast to get a look

• 11 SSM // Jan 29, 2016 at 1:53 pm

“Used needles lying around? pffft.”

Is this another of your jokes?

• 12 MJ98107 // Jan 29, 2016 at 6:16 pm

@59 Well, we could follow Utah’s example and build housing for the homeless, which is SAVING them millions per year, but something says the ballyhooers will object to that solution.

• 13 Scrambled Egg // Jan 29, 2016 at 6:28 pm

@62

All of Utah had 1700 homeless. We have 20 times that rate per capita in Seattle. We are a bum magnet.

• 14 Scrambled Egg // Jan 29, 2016 at 6:31 pm

Population of Utah = 3 million
    Number of homeless in Utah = 1,700

Population of Seattle = 640,000
    Number of homeless in Seattle = 4,500 (plus several thousand in shelters and temporary housing).

• 15 notconfused // Jan 29, 2016 at 9:26 pm

the count is in- unsheltered homeless up 19% from last year. Last year up 21%. So over 44% increase in the last 2 years (note Seattle growth rate is slowing but never topped 3% in the last few years).
    So these are not displaced people from are presently ‘large’ influx of techies and their baristas.
    Yes we could continue to take more money from the kids in foster care, more money from the kids in schools, more money from the senior lunch programs and not have the money to shelter all the people coming.
    Of course all the rich in Ballard have that second home, and the spare vacation home to offer but these are not in the city. FWIW Eastern WA is still available, cheap.

• 16 Orca // Jan 29, 2016 at 9:28 pm

See, that is the difference between the conservative Mormons, who tithe and think work is generally an honorable part of life, where living above one’s means is not smart. Alcohol is frowned upon, and dope is, well for dopes. And, where the believers take care of their less fortunate brothers and sisters, expecting you would do the same in return.

Liberal Seattle, well that’s another story. Libertine lifestyles are to be admired. So smoke your dope, shoot up with heroin, drink yourself into addiction with alcohol, and don’t take responsibility for your life. You deserve the lifestyle you create, then impatiently expect others to take care of you by giving you food, shelter and other freebies, with no expectation of returning the favor if tables are reversed. Take, take and take, from those who will give and give and give.

• 17 notconfused // Jan 29, 2016 at 9:34 pm

@he hate me
    unless the people with problems get help-they will die early.Housed with mortgage paid, living at the wet house at Eastlake, living in a tent,living in an RV. makes no difference. Substance abuse, mental illness shortens one life. Unless you are actively trying to get these people help, you’re helping them die early(and the younger they get help). FWIW the housing at Eastlake has been studied and alcohol consumption goes down, death from chronic dz and alcoholism remains the same-as was expected.

• 18 Profile photo of JM98107 JM98107 // Jan 30, 2016 at 1:22 pm

Garbage prowling!

• 19 Jim // Jan 30, 2016 at 11:10 pm

What the hell is wrong with looking in someone’s garbage for food?

Do you people have no sympathy at all?

• 20 MJ98107 // Jan 30, 2016 at 11:20 pm

@64 You’re right, we should give up. Your statistics are too much for me to handle!

• 21 communitymember // Feb 3, 2016 at 12:46 pm

notconfused-

it’s because we put out the welcome mat that the numbers have increased exponentially.

• 22 communitymember // Feb 3, 2016 at 12:51 pm