Ballardite creates map to promote community safety

Posted by Danielle Anthony-Goodwin on January 29th, 2016

Ballard resident Todd has created the below map to spread the word about reported vacant homes, illegal camps and planned construction in the neighborhood.

The map was originally published on the Next Door Ballard North website in an effort to increase awareness of local illegal activity and to promote public safety.

“I want to make sure that people understand this is for awareness and community safety. I love Ballard and all the people who live here,” says Todd.

Todd has created an email address (ballardmaptips@gmail.com) for people to report in stories and tips on vacant homes, squatters and illegal camps.

Todd will also be hosting a safety walk tomorrow morning to check in on the locations already listed on the map and to add any new information. If you would like to take part, meet at 8 a.m. at the bus stop at the intersection of NW 60th St and 15th Ave NW.

• 1 Silver // Jan 29, 2016 at 7:06 pm

My goodness you get up early, Todd! ;-)

• 2 First they came for the shopping carts and I said nothing... // Jan 29, 2016 at 8:23 pm

It’s like “Map to the Stars” for skinheads looking for a little fun.

• 3 Angus // Jan 30, 2016 at 8:14 am

What does new development have to do with public safety?

Should I be afraid that I will walk by one of these construction sites and some steel beams will fall on me?

I also don’t understand why the author used dollar signs to represent this. How about a little icon of a family that would be moving in?

The second poster is probably correct with the intent of this map

• 4 Todd // Jan 30, 2016 at 9:52 am

My intent was to help the community and not provide a map for skinheads if that’s the case I will take it down for sure. Why the construction sites? From my conversation with the Seattle PD, a new type of criminal arrives during construction, the ones that steal copper, tools, and more. Thank you both for the comments, it’s good to be thinking around your points. I will think about changing the $, it was meant as a symbol of a construction deal. I think my email is displayed here, feel free to contact me directly.

• 5 The View From Fremont // Jan 30, 2016 at 9:53 am

Why include vacant homes? You’re creating a roadmap for squatters.

• 6 Todd // Jan 30, 2016 at 10:24 am

The big white signs out front are the roadmaps but good point, it has been a concern of mine but making people being aware has received good feedback.

• 7 Paul // Jan 31, 2016 at 1:44 am

Thank you, Todd!

• 8 Bakırköy Resim Kursu // Jan 31, 2016 at 4:57 am

Ubeyt Çağatay Rüya Avcısı Sanat Eğitim Merkezi Avcılar, Bahçeşehir, Bakırköy, Beylidüzü, Küçükçekmece, Büyükçekmece, Esenyurt, Güzel Sanatlara Hazırlık Bakırköy Resim Kursu haftanın yedi günü sizlere en kaliteli hizmeti sunmak adına 2 şubesi ile eğitimlerine devam etmektedir.Atöltelerimizi inceleyerek kalitemizi sizde değerlendirebilirsiniz.

• 9 Taksim Tercüme // Jan 31, 2016 at 5:57 am

Globalleşen dünyamızda teknolojinin ve internetin getirdiği yenilikler sonucunda, tercüme önemli bir hizmet sektörü haline gelmiştir. Tercüme hizmeti, artık insanların kolayca ulaşabileceği bir hizmet olmanın yanısıra, günümüzde hayatın her alanında ihtiyaç duyulan bir hizmettir. Taksim Tercüme , vita tercüme adı altında tüm dillere çevirileri gerçekleştirmektedir.

• 10 MJ98107 // Jan 31, 2016 at 9:58 am

The only thing we have to fear is: construction, vacant homes and encampments itself!

• 11 Profile photo of JM98107 JM98107 // Feb 2, 2016 at 9:42 am

I like the SPD’s neighborhood map showing actual events.

• 12 KS // Feb 2, 2016 at 11:26 am

The Ballard Public flats and lofts at 24th and 65th is complete and occupancy has begun. The retail spaces are being built out but they seem secured … Not sure why it is listed (in fact it seems to have two listings)

• 13 KS // Feb 2, 2016 at 11:27 am

Also seems markedly short on illegal encampments.