Seattle Area Independent Bookstores are coming together this Saturday, April 30, to celebrate Independent Bookstore Day.
Locals are invited to join independent bookstores around the Seattle area for parties, author readings, in-store events, and exclusive day-of merchandise.
Last year, 350 locals participated in the event in some way and 42 of those accepted the Independent Bookstore Day Challenge of visiting all 17 participating stores and were awarded 25% off at all participating bookstores for an entire year.
Courtney Balza, took part in the challenge and spent 14 hours driving 130 miles . “I had so much fun with the Bookstore Day challenge last year,” she says.
“We expect an even larger turnout this year and, with many of the same stores participating, a whole new enthusiasm for the challenge,” say the organizers.
Up for the challenge? Here’s how to become an Indie Bookstore Champion:
- Pick up a bookstore passport at any of the participating stores on April 30th.
- Visit ALL participating stores on April 30th and get their unique stamp on your passport. (Only one stamp is necessary for stores with multiple locations.)
- Turn your passport in at the last store of the day to be crowned a champion and win 25% off all year at participating bookstores.
Can’t make it to all bookstores? Visit three or more and be entered to win gift cards, first edition books, and more! Grand prize is $425 in gift certificates ($25 gift certificate to each of the 17 participating stores)!
Check out the list of bookstores closest to our neighborhood below:
- Secret Garden Books (2214 NW Market St)
- Phinney Books (7405 Greenwood Ave N)
- Magnolia’s Bookstore (3206 W McGraw St,)
Find out more on the event’s Facebook page.