The Friends of Piper’s Orchard invite the community to join them in celebrating Carkeek Park’s historic orchard on Saturday, September 24, from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
Events will include cider pressing and tasting, live music, an apple pie contest, activities for kids, guided tours of the historic orchard and more.
The event will take place at the Nancy Malmgren Environmental Center (650 NW Carkeek Park Road). Visitors are encouraged to park below the learning center; volunteers will be directing guests.
Activities will include:
- Apple pie contest: Bring a contest entry between 10:00 and 10:30 a.m. and buy a piece of contest pie after the winners are announced.
- Fresh pressed cider: Visitors are encouraged to try out making cider the old-fashioned way, with a fresh cider press.
- Apple identification: Bring apples from your home orchard for variety identification.
- Homemade pie: Visitors are invited to donate homemade pies. Fresh warm cider and slices of pie will be available at Tillie’s Café for a nominal cost, with proceeds to support ongoing maintenance of the orchard.
- Orchard tours: Expert volunteers who have painstakingly restored the orchard will lead tours, pointing out the heirloom varieties that are going strong as well as younger trees and grape vines.
- Apple tasting: Visitors will have the chance to taste heirloom apple varieties from the orchard and other sources.
- Kids’ crafts: Little ones will enjoy organized arts and crafts activities.
- Live music: Talented musicians will provide live music during the festival.
- Master Gardener Clinic: Activities for adults and children
- Carkeek Wildlife Habitat Garden tour: A tour of the gardens near the Environmental Learning Center will be offered.
The event is free and open to the public.