As many residents are aware, car prowls have been an ongoing issue in the North Precinct.
The SPD have put together the following list of tips for residents to avoid being victims of this crime:
- Remove all valuables from your vehicle every time you park, roll up windows, and lock your car.
- Do not leave cords and charging devices in plain view, a prowler may see these and take the chance that you have some kind of valuable electric and enter your car.
- If valuables must be left behind, hide them out of sight or place them in the trunk before parking at your destination.
- Disable internal trunk releases per your owner’s instruction manual. -Audible alarms or other theft deterrent devices can effective.
- Security garages are only secure if entering and exiting drivers watch the door fully close behind them every time. This is to deter someone from sneaking into the garage behind you.
- Do not leave ID, credit cards or checkbooks in the car. These can be used to commit other crimes. (Identity theft)
- Remote controls for security garages should never be left inside parked vehicles. They provide further access to returning thieves.
- Park in well-lit areas if possible.
- Call 911 if you see suspicious activity and give a good description of suspect if you are able to.
Have you been a victim of car prowls in Ballard? Email your story to firstname.lastname@example.org