SPD restores order after fight at 54th and 32nd

Posted by Danielle Anthony-Goodwin on October 31st, 2016

As the My Ballard team reported over the weekend, SPD officers responded to a large disturbance at about 7 p.m. on Saturday night at 54th and 32nd.

Check out the details from the SPD Blotter Post below:

Officers were busy trying to restore order Saturday night in Ballard following a large disturbance and physical fight. Fortunately, cooler heads prevailed and only two individuals received injuries, both of which were self-inflicted.

The incident began around 7:10 p.m. Saturday evening near NW 54th St and 32nd Ave NW.

The initial report was a fight disturbance on the street. One man punched an apartment building window, cutting his arm in the process. Another man then reportedly broke a bottle over his own head.

Despite their injuries, the two men decided to physically fight one another on the street. Friends and family members attending a nearby get-together, reportedly a baby shower, gathered to watch the fight.

A large disturbance erupted between the gathered friends and family members over an unknown issue as the two men continued to fight. Multiple officers had to respond to control the scene.

After the initial chaos, order was restored and the two injured men were transported to the hospital for treatment of their injuries.

There were no other reported injuries, and the crowd eventually broke up and everyone went home.

• 1 guesty // Oct 31, 2016 at 5:57 pm

broke a bottle on his own head huh?

lol – best kid of fight. the two idiots at the center of it all are the only ones injured and they did it to themselves.

• 2 Steve treadway // Oct 31, 2016 at 6:17 pm

Homeless riffraff roam all over this area, and I would bet it was just one of numerous altercations that take place daily!

• 3 Benny // Oct 31, 2016 at 9:37 pm

Was the tough guy from Nextdoor there with his baseball bats looking to crack some heads?

Because that’s what tough guys do in Ballard. They protect petty property as if their life depended on it

• 4 Truth // Nov 1, 2016 at 8:05 am

I had a hunch that it was JM98107 vs TheOne, but now I wonder if Steve “Lyin’ O’Brien” Treadway had a hand in it. They must’ve been fighting over spots in the bushes to
    creepily stalk keep an eye on homeless people.

• 5 Profile photo of JM98107 JM98107 // Nov 1, 2016 at 11:09 am

There is a problem with homeless bums trespassing and camping at the Locks just down the street from the Senior Center. They seem to be collecting bicycles and dumping their garbage in the surrounding area. Other news blogs are covering this story –even the Ballard News Tribune.

• 6 Rainbow Bridge to Pyongyang // Nov 1, 2016 at 6:08 pm

My Ballard steadfastly refuses to cover the frequent armed robberies, both business and individual in the neighborhood.

Curtis Steiner got hit about a week ago overnight, and of course, the Stranger pretty much just victim blamed them, much in the way the SPD blames car prowl victims.

Hey Truthy, you been keeping an eye on that new tweaker lunatic who walks around on top of the tock triangle at Bergen Place. Real classy around here lately.

• 7 Truth // Nov 2, 2016 at 8:22 am

@LocalBoy?: Went by there the other day. Didn’t see him. Maybe he’s a figment of your imagination, just like the needles and garbage Ballard is allegedly buried in?

Can you provide links to any articles or SPD blotters showing all these armed robberies?

• 8 Profile photo of JM98107 JM98107 // Nov 2, 2016 at 10:22 am

A quick look at the SPD crime dashboard, for Ballard, reveals an increase in business/bank robbery from 7 crimes in 2010 to 31 so far this year. An increase of 342%. Business robbery increased every year in last 5 years. This doesn’t include street robbery or shoplifting.

• 9 Rainbow Bridge to Pyongyang // Nov 2, 2016 at 10:33 am

@Truthy

You can check the “crime” section on My Ballard for the tweets, and the SPD crime map, but of course it’s easier to cast me as some kind of hysterical nimby.

They don’t keep data on the map for longer than a week or so, which fits nicely with the prog agenda of hiding the crime.

• 10 TheOne // Nov 2, 2016 at 12:10 pm

Neoliberal enablers like half truth are part of the problem. You might change your mind when your home is burglarized or your car is broken into. Yes, crimes in ballard are changing from just burglaries to home invasion robberies. And yes, people are getting robbed at gun point on the street. And this isn’t just a ballard problem, it’s happening all over the city.

You need to open your eyes Truthy, and stop hiding in your 300 sf apodment with zero parking. There is so much to see in Ballard these days. Clearly, your spandex is cutting off your circulation so you aren’t thinking straight.

How is the Bernie Sanders campaign going for you?

• 11 Scott // Nov 3, 2016 at 9:09 am

I live right around the corner, and it was the biggest fight/disturbance I’ve seen in my 15 years in Ballard. Thanks a million to City Council and Mike O’Brien for making Ballard so attractive to so many people who have no investment in the community, shipping them in from across the city and beyond, so they can turn our neighborhood into a dump.

• 12 Truth // Nov 3, 2016 at 9:57 am

@Rainbow/TheOne/LocalBoy: How many names are you gonna use there Ace?

My car has been broken into. Haven’t been robbed yet.

The answer is pretty clear, our police force is understaffed. I ran the numbers once on police per capita and we are somewhere between 60 to 70% compared to what NYC has. Maybe instead of building a $150 million monolith, they can build a $50 million station and use the rest to hire more officers?

But believe me, it’s not the homeless that commit business/bank robbery. And screaming about the fact that you saw a homeless the other day just distracts from trying to actually fight crime.

And I don’t cast you as a “hysterical nimby”, you do that yourself.

Just remember: If you are not part of the solution, you are part of the precipitate.

@Scott: Yup, I saw O’Brien himself driving the Homeless-Ballard Express full of homeless while flipping off us people who paid good money to live here! What a jerk!

The fight was probably just JM98107 and TheOne/LocalBoy/Rainbow vying for spots in the bushes so they could creepily spy on a homeless guy, just waiting for him to do something so they could come on here and clutch their pearls.

• 13 Scott // Nov 3, 2016 at 1:18 pm

@Truth, now I see why people on these boards criticize you personally. Because you attack others personally. People who you don’t know and who have relevant, fact-based, on topic points that you don’t agree with. I hope you get to experience some of the incessant garbage in your yard, drunks screaming violence and obscenities from your front porch steps, strange people walking up and down your street casing your and your neighbors’ homes, and uninvited people sleeping, urinating, and defecating in your yard and behind and under your bushes that some of us have had to learn to deal with during the last year.

• 14 Rainbow Bridge to Pyongyang // Nov 3, 2016 at 1:45 pm

@Truthy
    This is my one handle. Believe it or not, there are more than a few people who disapprove of their neighborhood being trashed by the policies of misguided activists desperately trying to preserve their altruistic narratives in the face of facts.

• 15 örümcek stand // Nov 4, 2016 at 5:01 am

• 16 moto kurye // Nov 4, 2016 at 5:02 am

• 17 Truth // Nov 4, 2016 at 8:58 am

@Scott: You must be knew here if you think I’m the only one who criticizes people personally. I’m usually returning the favor.

However, there is one exception. In regards to your quote “have relevant, fact-based, on topic points that you don’t agree with.”: point out any of the slack-jawed pearl-clutchers that I make fun of that have stated “relevant, fact-based, on topic points”. I do come with facts, but hand-wringers don’t like facts, because they tend to contradict their ignorant view points.

Most articles, have NOTHING to do with homeless. Yet it quickly devolves into a homeless shit fest, that stinks more than an encampment. I still have heard nothing about whether the homeless were involved in this.

I don’t deny that there is a homeless crisis, I don’t think anyone does. What I do disagree with is the narrow-minded, moronic shit that people on this blog spew that they think is going to somehow solve the problem.

I got news for you hon, complaining about the homeless on this blog and Nextdoor isn’t going to do anything to solve the crisis, but it will get you made fun of. If you want to help solve the homeless crisis, have constructive talks with your councilmember, instead of rabble rousing at meetings they hold. Like O’Brien or not, he got voted in with a landslide, so people have faith that he’s going to do his job.

I love my neighborhood and think it’s the best neighborhood in the City. I’m not willing to let some homeless hysteria devolve our neighborhood into Trumpland.

How’s that for an attack post?

• 18 Rainbow Bridge to Pyongyang // Nov 4, 2016 at 9:37 am

Here we go with Truthy’s “all of your are Trumpers!” nonsense.

The fact is yes, Truthy, we do have far few cops. You are quite right about that, which is why it is sheer lunacy to all ad hoc settlements all over our neighborhoods.

Who will police them? You can’t trust “functioning members” of society to police themselves, yet we’re trusting people with substance abuse and/or mental illness to be good tent citizens? Ok. Sure. Let me know how that works.

Hell, even when the cops can get to a scene to do their jobs, they are still hamstrung by the mayor and D.A. who do not care to prosecute and just turn the offenders right back on the street.

You tell everyone here to move out of Ballard because they don’t like the decline, but I’m wondering why you haven’t been living in White Center or the U District all these years.

Well, I guess now we can enjoy the swarm of dysfunctional adult children and their criminal hijinks. Thanks a ton! You and your kind have done wonders!

• 19 Profile photo of JM98107 JM98107 // Nov 4, 2016 at 2:16 pm

Bums are a bummer.

• 20 Truth // Nov 6, 2016 at 12:56 am

@Rainbow\LocalBoy: I’m not going to leave because I love my neighborhood. What’s your excuse?

• 21 Rainbow Bridge to Pyongyang // Nov 6, 2016 at 8:27 am

People respect and protect what they love. You seem to love some failed agenda more than the safety and well being of you neighbors.

• 22 Profile photo of JM98107 JM98107 // Nov 6, 2016 at 5:35 pm

There was another incident on this street. Check the Welcome to Murraysville web site.

• 23 Profile photo of JM98107 JM98107 // Nov 9, 2016 at 6:52 pm

SPD has arrested some bums at the Ballard jungle.