Package thieves return to the neighborhood

Posted by Danielle Anthony-Goodwin on December 28th, 2016

Package theives are back in the neighborhood, according to a report from a My Ballard reader.

Jed had multiple packages stolen from his home at 17th and 65th. “Multiple packages were supposedly delivered but we never got them. Thinking they were likely stolen,” writes Jed.

Keeping this report of package theft in mind, remember when ordering online attempt to send the packages to your work location or to somewhere where people will be present to receive the package.

Alternatively, if you are ordering from Amazon they offer a secure Amazon Locker service where packages can be picked up from lockers at various locations around Seattle including at the Ballard 7 Eleven (1550 NW Market St). The service has no extra charge and provides additional security for your packages.

If you have experienced package theft recently email tips@myballard.com with information and your location.

• 1 Norse // Dec 29, 2016 at 8:33 am

Last night I had two packages ripped open, the contents stolen, and the packaging left on the front steps. I too live on 65th between 17th and 18th. UPS has been told to leave packages at the back door but during the holiday season the temporary drivers don’t seem to follow these instructions. This has only happened to me 2x in the last 31 years – must be another squatter house in the neighborhood.

• 2 Scrambled Egg // Dec 29, 2016 at 8:54 am

I put another box out with packing peanuts, three cocked rat traps and a fake Apple shipping packing slip with fake address. Taken while I was away last week on vacation.

Somewhere one of these a$$holes is spending Christmas with his/her hands in a splint. Santa is smiling.

• 3 Jabroni // Dec 29, 2016 at 10:05 am

@Scrambled Egg,

I would say slim at best. You’d have to go through quite some effort to ensure otherwise, and if you spend your time this way I feel sorry for you

• 4 Profile photo of JM98107 JM98107 // Dec 29, 2016 at 11:30 am

I assume the package thieves are active all year long and not just the holiday season.

• 5 Anthony Scott // Dec 29, 2016 at 12:37 pm

The city council, mayor, and social justice warriors have left Seattle a disgusting cesspool.

• 6 Josh // Dec 29, 2016 at 2:10 pm

I think Seattle has fallen below disgusting cesspool to primordial soup.

PS – Be careful trying to injure someone. You can be held liable for that whether they are a criminal or not. Stink bombs and non-toxic dye are OK.

• 7 Scrambled Egg // Dec 29, 2016 at 4:32 pm

“What do you think the chances are that a “cocked rat trap” would stay this way once the package is jostled?”

You don’t think I tested this? Did multiple tests including dropping the box. Only thing that set off the traps was when I put a chop stick in there and it got snapped in half.

That’s what you use rat traps, they’re hard to set off. Only things that will release them are rats and tweakers.

• 8 Profile photo of JM98107 JM98107 // Dec 29, 2016 at 5:22 pm

Have you driven on Dearborn St. lately? It looks like a garbage dump. I thought the city was cleaning up after the tweeker-winos?

• 9 Ms. McCormick // Dec 29, 2016 at 6:53 pm

Dear Readers,
    How about a lock box, camera and picking up your packages at the post office.
    Personally, I like the dye idea.

• 10 Bryce // Dec 29, 2016 at 8:52 pm

@8 I thought the city was cleaning up after the tweeker-winos?

Why would they do that? If the city cleaned up after them you might never know they are there. Aside from the package theft and assaults.

• 11 Scrambled Egg // Dec 29, 2016 at 9:24 pm

@9

Dear Ms. McCormick,

I think shooting a couple might be a better deterrent and not require victims blaming.

• 12 Rainbow Bridge to Pyongyang // Dec 29, 2016 at 11:54 pm

Lovin’ the new neighbors. Just watched a grimacing junkie walk a pimped out vintage steel bike over to the library. I’m sure she “found it” somewhere.

Nice neighborhood, Murraytards.

• 13 Barney Google // Dec 30, 2016 at 6:47 am

Seriously, why aren’t you people getting hip and making changes? Or, are you all still practicing hope and change for things? Perhaps going onto socialized media and bitching is more fun than actual change to your drab routines? Don’t worry though, things will get worse, as the same people get selected year after stinking year. Hello insanity……………………

• 14 Rainbow Bridge to Pyongyang // Dec 30, 2016 at 11:51 am

@13
    Seattle was already hard blue/regressive Left decades ago, now with the bulk replacement of workers with coastal techies the future will be even more social justice idiocy, probably forever.

The place is now a mecca for snowflakes and doggie parents who get triggered by loud voices.

It’s a joke.

• 15 Barney Google // Dec 31, 2016 at 6:51 am

@ 14; spoken quite well there. And they all feel government still has all of their solutions to their issues, when it’s government creating them. Trump 2017

• 16 Profile photo of JM98107 JM98107 // Dec 31, 2016 at 4:42 pm

The people that voted for Trump are fools. Anyone that praises Pootie Putin is a traitor.

• 17 Rainbow Bridge to Pyongyang // Jan 2, 2017 at 8:11 am

@16
    Oh look it’s some snark from the a local Progressive. Wait, I’ll finish that thought for you. Let me know what I missed:

-Borders bad, gated communities/condos good
    -Trump bad, Castro good
    -Racism bad, “white people should die off”
    -Guns bad, Arming Islamist rebels good
    -2011 “America is evil, 2016 “America was already great!”
    -Walmart bad, Amazon good
    – trucks driven in rural areas to worksites bad, hybrid cars + sweatshop tech economy good
    -“Nationalism is Fascism”, “Being friendly to Russia is treason!”
    -Russia bad, China good (say hi to your new landlords, West Coast!)

• 18 Truth // Jan 2, 2017 at 9:14 am

I see the hand-wringers have been pulling double-shifts over the New Years weekend, blaming Murray, O’Brien and (this is a new one, thanks Anthony!) even “Social Justice Warriors” for package thieves on My Ballard. Keep up the good work fellas, we’ve got a crazy year ahead of us!

• 19 Profile photo of JM98107 JM98107 // Jan 2, 2017 at 2:01 pm

Ho Ho Ho

Fake news good, Defund NPR

My elderly family members expect to see Paul Ryan, Mitch McConnell and Donny Trump on their porch taking away the Social Security checks.

• 20 Rainbow Bridge to Pyongyang // Jan 2, 2017 at 5:12 pm

Hey Truthy, was starting to miss you.

Be honest for once: the social justice tards pushed to turn Seattle into Bumtown. You guys own it.

• 21 Profile photo of JM98107 JM98107 // Jan 2, 2017 at 6:27 pm

Ho Ho Ho!

Corporate tax breaks, defund public education

The bums have always been there, what’s missing are all the old flophouses that used to absorb a few bodies.

• 22 Profile photo of JM98107 JM98107 // Jan 2, 2017 at 6:30 pm

Tweet tweetie tweet

Trump video in 1998, In it, Trump sneers, ‘If I were to run, I’d run as a Republican. They’re the dumbest group of voters in the country. They believe anything on Fox News. I could lie and they’d still eat it up. I bet my numbers would be terrific.’

• 23 Profile photo of JM98107 JM98107 // Jan 3, 2017 at 9:08 am

@20 You have to admit, some folks never recovered from the Bush / Cheney recession and wage stagnation.

Make Ballard great again.

• 24 Reptar // Jan 5, 2017 at 6:25 am

Reading all this dribble, I don’t know what’s worse: Ballardites or the package thieves that steal from them. I know Jed – a real good guy, and I hope his graduate work in the fields of 3D processing is opening some doors for him. Now the poor guy’s got murder being suggested amongst a sea of vitriol in a thread started by his grievance, ultimately destroyed by neighbors. Nothing but contempt for you people.

• 25 Rainbow Bridge to Pyongyang // Jan 18, 2017 at 12:21 pm

@24
    Hey Reptar, I think you read too much James Fenimore Cooper. The junkie thieves aren’t noble savages, and your neighbors pay taxes and contribute to the *actual* community.

If you want to keep raising taxes for services (and overt graft), expect push back from people who are feeling their quality of life declining.