Ballard Post Office drive up box temporarily removed for maintenance

Posted by Danielle Anthony-Goodwin on January 3rd, 2017

img_7213

The team at My Ballard has received a number of emails about the drive up mailbox removal at Ballard Post Office.

We visited the Post Office and found a sign on the door indicating that the mailbox has been removed for maintenance purposes and that, in the interim period, customers are asked to mail their items inside.

The My Ballard team will update readers when the mailbox is reinstalled after maintenance is complete.

• 1 Alan Winston // Jan 4, 2017 at 1:39 pm

The Bitter Lake Post Office drive up box is closed with cardboard taped over the slot – I wonder if there is something going on.

• 2 Tim T. // Jan 4, 2017 at 3:30 pm

No wonder I use UPS and FedEx.

No lines, always enough staff to manage customers, self serve machines always work. Walking into USPS is like walking into a Soviet bread shop in 1985. Last time I went in the Ballard PO they didn’t even have rolls of 100 Forever stamps, suggested I order them online. It’s like they go out of their way to lose customers.

• 3 Slim Whitman // Jan 5, 2017 at 6:51 am

Welcome to yet another ancient part/form of your government. Although, I do really still enjoy Perry Como on my 8-track player! Only if Jeff Bezos would simply take over this old, tired jobs program we call the USPS. It’s much like the pennies in your pocket; worth little and nearly useless.

• 4 Truth // Jan 5, 2017 at 8:47 am

@Slim: USPS serves a function that private entities like UPS, FedEx and DHL don’t want to touch. I highly doubt Bezos would take on the USPS. He’s a businessman that wants to make money, not some hero who’s going to magically make things better.

If our country had any brains, we would have spun off USPS as a private corporation long ago, where the government owns a large chunk of its shares. Germany did that with Deutsche Post, which you might now know as DHL, the world’s largest shipping company.

• 5 Slim Whitman // Jan 6, 2017 at 6:26 am

@ Truth: There you go, making too much sense! And why not approach many things in our government like a “business”? Government picks winners and losers all the time, or tries to. Can we start with tobacco?

• 6 Carrier // Jan 6, 2017 at 11:36 am

Actually, the USPS is run as a private business. Their budget is simply from sales of their services. They use no taxpayer money. The unfortunate thing is that Congress still has oversight on them, and their useless regulations keep the USPS from modernizing in the way that FedEx or UPS could. If Amazon needed to get congressional approval each time they wanted to make any changes to their business, things would look a lot different for them, too. I’m going to go ahead and blame homeless people and crime for this. Mayor Murray and Ed O’Brien really don’t care about this town or its curbside mailing needs.

• 7 Carrier // Jan 6, 2017 at 11:39 am

Another awful thing about these curbside boxes being ‘maintained’, is that the USPS will actually pick up this mail directly from your house, 6 days a week. Why are they wasting no taxpayer money to install these curbside mailers in the first place? Must be a liberal conspiracy.

• 8 Rainbow Bridge to Pyongyang // Jan 6, 2017 at 3:37 pm

Mail service in Seattle is a joke. My carrier is cool, but the trainees wear street clothes (prole tats, long hair, etc) and oftrn our biz payments and bills vanish of come back rts despite being sent to longstanding verified addresses.

I assume it’s the same caliber of people found at the dept of licensing doing the handling, eith some feckless pc concern troll making the decisions.

• 9 Truth // Jan 7, 2017 at 10:06 am

@Rainbow: Oh no, street clothes? LONG HAIR?!?! What is this country coming to?

Or maybe it’s just that you are horribly delirious?

• 10 tooty // Jan 8, 2017 at 1:41 am

i watched a honda ridgeline take that box out about a week ago, at around 0230.

• 11 tooty // Jan 8, 2017 at 1:49 am

12/27 at 0139 to be specific. and yes i called it in, cops came out and checked it out. the ridgeline blasted it down the road about 50 feet to the speed bump. then drove around it and took off northbound up 17th.

• 12 Profile photo of JM98107 JM98107 // Jan 8, 2017 at 3:25 pm

@11 What about damage to the bumper and grill of the car? Pretty stupid.

• 13 Rainbow Bridge to Pyongyang // Jan 8, 2017 at 10:05 pm

Don’t get your man-bun in a bunch, Truthy.
    Some of these postal trainees look like they slept in a van by Fred Meyer or just got out of county jail.

I know, I know, it’s important to Lefties that civil servants look like aging rock groupie drug addicts while handling the mail. After all, any attempt at preserving a sense of public decency is “fascism” to you precious snowflake dolphins.

• 14 tooty // Jan 8, 2017 at 10:34 pm

@12 the bumper must have some visible indentations from the steel of that box, but it freed it from its moorings pretty cleanly, and there wasn’t a steam show, so I don’t think the box made contact with anything other than the bumper.

• 15 Truth // Jan 9, 2017 at 8:37 am

@Rainbow: And there is a great example of what is wrong with our country. People like you put way too much concern into how people look, rather than whether they can actually perform a job.

You seem to be able to dish out plenty of zingers (PC is so yesterday afterall!), but when somebody points out that you’re full of shit, you get all butthurt and start decrying “liberals” and “leftists” and “snowflakes” (oh my!), but can’t stand up for yourself or back up your arguments with facts. Just like our president elect as a matter of fact. Sad.

• 16 Rainbow Bridge to Pyongyang // Jan 9, 2017 at 9:21 am

@15
    Hmmmm….you must be up early reading Vox or Jezebel. I give you a big gold star for your adding “butthurt” to your tired boomer lexicon.

Oh look, more mail was just returned rts from a verified address. I must be hallucinating.

Yes, well, maybe if these hacks could get the stuff delivered on the first try we could debate appearances vs. performance, but it’s a failure on both fronts.

• 17 Truth // Jan 9, 2017 at 1:15 pm

@Rainbow: I have no idea what Vox or Jezebel are. Are they your preferred daily reads or something?

Again, if you’re having so much trouble with the Post Office, maybe it’s a user error? Nah, that would require you taking responsibility for your actions.

• 18 Rainbow Bridge to Pyongyang // Jan 9, 2017 at 3:46 pm

Truthcuck Whiteguilterson
    422 Crazy Junkie Street
    Ballard, WA (soon to be Commifornia II)
    91166

Dear Truthcuck,

As I write this the swarms of stinky hobos are advancing on our emergency hiding place in the back of the library. Afro Guy and some screaming woman with a pit bull took our groceries while yelling “black lives matter”.

Another punched my wife and stole her bicycle, and I attempted to defend her with a firearm, but Mayor Murray ordered the police the fine me for using untaxed ammunition, and nearly booked my “gross display of toxic masculinity” after confiscating my firearm. Luckily, the mayor and police left quickly for Starbucks without arresting me.

Now all I have to hold off these tweakers with face tattoos is a dogeared copy of Zinn’s “Peopls’s History of the U.S.”.

My family is so very traumatized, and so very tired. Please send help.

At Your Mercy,
    Rainbow Bridge to Pyongyang

• 19 Truth // Jan 10, 2017 at 9:31 am

@Rainbow: ★☆☆☆☆: would not read again. Best of luck!