Register or log in to post

My Ballard Forum » Open Forum

Water Rate Increases

(26 posts)
  • Started 2 years ago by gasjet2000
  • Latest reply from dsomers
  1. gasjet2000

gasjet2000

The top story on the Seattle Times website this morning details some proposals by SPU to raise the water rates in Seattle: http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2016189719_water13m.html

Apparently we have some of the highest water rates in the country, yet the supply is bountiful and we, as a collective, environmentally-friendly city, use less and less water. In fact, one of the reasons SPU is proposing a rate increase is because residents are using less water (as we have been told to do) and revenue is falling. This, in effect, makes SPU a for-profit business instead of a publicly owned utility. The proposals go to the City Council for approval. How much is enough? Just wondering what some people's thoughts are on this and maybe what percentage of income residents pay for utilities? I read some responses to the article and there is one from a person who lives in the desert in California who pays less for water even though it has to be delivered to them. For those interested in where this money is going I would suggest looking at your water bill and estimating how much is actually going to maintenance and delivery and how much is going to bureaucratic utility nonsense (taxes, administration, "billing," etc.)

Posted 2 years ago #