Daily news for Seattle's Ballard neighborhood

Register or log in to post

My Ballard Forum » Open Forum

A Public Boat Harbor at Pioneer Square?

(10 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by Captain Dave
  • Latest reply from Captain Dave
  1. I would like to see what people in Ballard think of a new concept for a public boat landing at the old historic Washington Street Landing along the Pioneer Square waterfront. The concept suggests recycling two sections of the old 520 floating bridge to make an expansive floating promenade and breakwater for a Mediterranean style small boat harbor.

You can see the concept sketches here at: http://www.RecycleTheBridge.com

This is a grass roots project that attempts to help re-connect people with the Puget Sound by providing public access to maritime activities. I am involved with FarmBoat.org--an organization that plans to connect farms and consumers around Puget Sound via water. We hope to eventually have a floating farmers market near Pioneer Square with fresh farm goods coming in from across the sound. Our floating market program is part of a bigger vision to create an alternative food distribution network for the Puget Sound region in the event of earthquakes or other disasters. Most of the old municipal docks around Puget Sound are long gone. We hope to inspire a resurgence of this vital public resource.

(If you know anyone who might like to get involved, please let them know about us. )

What does this have to do with Ballard? Well, FarmBoat is in the process of restoring the one of the oldest surviving fishing boats from Ballard that was built at the foot of 28th st. around 1911. This vessel will be used next year for our floating market operation and hopefully will inspire interest in Ballard's maritime past.

Posted 1 year ago #