Daily news for Seattle's Ballard neighborhood

Register or log in to post

My Ballard Forum » Open Forum

Hikers! Clean out your used equipment for a great cause!

(19 posts)
  1. Jules

Jules

Hikers! Climbers! Outdoor affecionadios of all descriptions, please read below. You know you have old raincoats, hiking boots,fleece tops wool/fleece hats, etc, that you are not using and are just taking up space.

When I climbed Kilimanjaro, it was apparent that the porters were shockingly poorly equiped to climb a mountain one mile higher than Mt. Rainier. Typically, only the head guides have proper footwear and clothing. I saw men carrying 50lb loads wearing street shoes and old suit jackets. The porters ususally eat only one meal a day, and sleep on the ground in the mess tent, wrapped in a blanket. The Kilimanjaro Porters Aid organization was formed to help these people, and Rainier Mountaineering is collecting clothing. Usually, people who climb Kili try to leave as much of their equipment behind as they can for the porters . Even if the porters could afford to buy proper gear (which they can't) it is hard to come by.

Rainier Mountaineering Inc. (RMI) has teamed up with KPAP to collect 10,000 pieces of mountain gear and will be shipping a 40 foot container to Tanzania in October 2010. Clothing donations that are well suited for the outdoor environment, such as wind and rain shell pants and jackets, rain ponchos, fleece pants and jackets, synthetic base layers or long underwear, gloves, warm hats (no baseball caps please), wool socks and hiking boots are being gathered by RMI Expeditions on behalf of KPAP.

RMI will be hosting all clothing donations at their base camp below Mt. Rainier in Ashford, WA until October 1 2010. At this time the cargo container will be shipped to Tanzania, Africa and received by KPAP. All donations are tax deductible in accordance with IMEC’s 501c3 status.

Donations can either be dropped off at RMI's basecamp or shipped to:
    10,000 for 2010
    c/o RMI Expeditions
    30027 SR 706 East
    Ashford, WA 98304

For more information please visit http://www.rmiguides.com/press/kili-clothing-drive.php

Posted 3 years ago #