$1,000 for 190 sq ft Micro Apartment in Ballard

Home Forums Open forum $1,000 for 190 sq ft Micro Apartment in Ballard

This topic contains 26 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by  Anonymous 2 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 27 total)
  • Author

BuffaloHawk
    Participant

This is getting flippin insane and it even comes with street parking

https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/apa/5083245628.html

Chris
    Participant

That’s insane. For comparison, I found a 2014 article on estimated rent/sq ft here: http://www.apartmentguide.com/blog/rental-price-per-square-foot/

The Bay Area was the most expensive, at something around $2.88/sf. If they are actually able to rent this out, the sf cost is about $5.26 per. I have no plans to sell my house, but if that square foot price holds up, the value of the place just went through the stratosphere.

Ernie
    Participant

includes street parking LOL, they’re renting out Compass Rose’s spot!

BuffaloHawk
    Participant

Point to Ernie… Well played

I was wondering if you put your cell phone on the wall in one of these units if it would be considered a big screen TV.

BuffaloHawk
    Participant

I just saw this and found it interesting

http://www.djc.com/news/re/12070095.html?action=get&id=12070095

Despite the boom in high-wage tech jobs, Cain said the greatest demand is for lower-rent units. SeaTac and Burien are two of only three submarkets with vacancy rates below 3 percent and are also two of the cheapest areas.

Cain said the only area with a vacancy rate above 6 percent is Ballard. “There are just too many units there with more to come,” he said in his report.

Anonymous

Look, ma – I have my very own Internet troll!

So. Predictable.

So much for the lie about apodments providing affordable housing. I wonder who’s really going to want to pay that much to live in a rabbit warren. Even my apartment in New York wasn’t that tiny.

Crownhiller
    Participant

Well, for about twice what that enterprise is asking you can get a whopping 810 sq feet, with a view – according to this place
    https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/apa/5138650595.html

Since the current median per square foot price for a single family house in Greater Ballard is currently at about $433 -that might be a bargain for some.

Mondoman
    Participant

I notice that the listing says that the micro apartment is both in Ballard and on Capitol Hill. Guess they don’t pay much for their office staff.

pennygirl
    Participant

You all have somewhere to live. How about feeling a bit sorry for everyone who is being priced out. Even better, those who we born here and can’t afford to live here. Nice to see that MyBallard is rolling along as normal. Hello!

pennygirl
    Participant

we = were (just before CR gets all CR in my face)

great idea
    Participant

right on pg! (and good to see you back albeit so sparingly).

maybe apodments are affordable for some CR. after all, they are furnished so you would not need to buy certain items you would otherwise.

also, the view is likely better than any of your single-family homes– probably all the townhomes to the West as well.

Ernie
    Participant

Ha! CR, don’t flatter yourself. There was once a time when one could joke around on this forum, sometimes I forget…

Mondo, those are tags at the bottom of the ad, they just want to get more eyeballs when it shows up in a search for “Capitol Hill”, hoping that someone might decide to switch neighborhoods. So actually the office folks are earning their pay.

MidWest
    Participant

But.. But.. But.. Pokerguy said all the property values in Ballard were going to plummet, and good riddance to Ballard..!

<snark>

Karma Residential..?

<snicker>

Hope that name comes true for them. That price is ridiculous. One could just rent a single room for 1k, then. Jeez.

pennygirl
    Participant

Hello gi! I thought I’d pop in to see if this thing is still up and running!

Anonymous

The comments above don’t suggest a lack of sympathy for people being priced out of Ballad, Penny. I don’t know how you’d take them as that.

I feel very badly for people who are being priced out. The rents are out of control. I’d hate to be looking for a place in Ballard and be faced with $1,000 rabbit warrens as the most affordable option. Rents here are horrible. I don’t know what the answer is, but I’m very grateful we’re not renting.

Seattle seems to be going the way of SF and NYC, sadly.

pennygirl
    Participant

It was more of an observation. We are all very lucky to have somewhere to live. A member of this forum (lifelong resident) was recently priced out of Ballard due to the soaring rents.

Anonymous

It seemed a little accusatory, but OK.

Yes, we are all very lucky to have somewhere to live. I’m grateful every day for what I have.

Where did that person move to, Penny? It’s particularly awful for long-term residents to be priced out. I’ve long thought that it was suprising that Seattle remained affordable for as long as it did. It seemed inevitable that what’s happening now would eventually happen, unfortunately.

I love Seattle, but the way the city is heading makes me wonder if we’ll stay here long-term.

BuffaloHawk
    Participant

Lets all hug

I started this because the price is insane. I got my 8 year old kid a labtop for Christmas to stay ahead of the curve. It is getting scary here and honestly with prices like this explains the homeless population. One missed calculation is a life changer.

pennygirl
    Participant

CR – Everett, or maybe a little further north.

BuffaloHawk
    Participant

Ballard is not longer a place for elitist to throw “Red Purses” run away and ignore the problem.

Anonymous

Who you calling an elitist, BH?

Kate
    Participant

It seems that some people find it worthwhile to have a small, modern place without a lease, that includes utilities, is close to good transit options, close to the city core, has nightlife, and includes landscaping and cleaning service. It sounds expensive to me; a good example of behavioral economics.

I read somewhere that Seattle, along with many other cities, created laws to discourage rooming houses and boarding houses in the late 1800s because they had bad reputations and people wanted to keep them out of their neighborhoods.

I wonder how much Airbnb is driving up rents as people who might have rented a room out to a local can make more sharing their place with strangers.

Anonymous

Interesting comment about Airbnb, Kate. It’s certainly more lucrative to rent out a room (or your entire place) by the night than it is in a regular rental situation. We’re renting our place out for five weeks this summer at a little below what comparable places are going for on Airbnb, and it’s still a whole lot of money.

I can see apodments possibly being appealing as a short-term option for young tech workers new to the city or other youngsters, but the market for them seems like it might be limited. The sign that was on the one mentioned in this thread, while it was being built, featured a young couple and a couple with a kid, which is a joke. I can’t imagine a couple living in one of those units, let alone a family.

pennygirl
    Participant

Welcome to new Ballard, CR. Young couples or a couple with a kid don’t really have a choice.

Maybe you should talk to my son (Ballard born) and his girlfriend (Ballard born) and see what they are looking at right now. Those apodments are the best bet, and that is why they still both live at home.

Anonymous

I don’t need to talk to them to know what it’s like, Penny. I totally get it. It’s awful. I grew up in Vancouver and could never afford to live there now. I get being priced out of the place you grew up in. It really sucks.

I’ve only been in Seattle 13 years and can’t believe how much it’s changed since then. My first apartment here, in 2002, was on Capitol Hill, a one-bedroom on the top floor of a charming old brick building. It wasn’t big, or in the greatest shape, but it was only $750 a month. I saw a listing there a couple of years ago and the same sized apartment was $1400. It’s probably at least $1600 now.

Awful.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 27 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.