All I want for Christmas is life support.

Home Forums Open forum All I want for Christmas is life support.

This topic contains 10 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  JM98107 2 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

SunsetHillMarauder
    Participant

Frankly folks, I’m not even entirely sure if this place even qualifies for life support anymore. It seems we have pulled the plug at this point from the looks of things does it not?

Happy holidays to you and yours, and to all a good forum.

GAM
    Participant

Happy Holidays to you, too, SHM, and to all the lurkers (um, both of you? Hey, is this thing on?)

Pixl Pete
    Participant

Once it boiled down to cranky old ladies talking nonsense, pointless squabbles, and people bitching about the homeless, everyone left. imho. I miss sparing with 1derfull1, even some of the trolls where more entertaining than this. I can’t even get off a Ted Nugent joke anymore, maybe when The Donald swears in things will pick up.

JM98107
    Participant

Yeah, the forum got schlonged. What ever happened to Oly or Chopper74?

JM98107
    Participant

Where are the hobo advocates? The bums are trashing Ballard, but you probably don’t notice it unless you get out of your car and walk. Thank goodness for the rain!

PlantLover
    Participant

I look in a couple of times a month, but there is rarely anything to comment on. When it was down for so long and then people had trouble reregistering for the new format, people just dropped out.

You can still comment on homeless people on Next Door. But back in the day, this group was way more entertaining.

VeganBiker
    Participant

I still check the posts here, if there are any! but the truth is that Nextdoor is a much better conduit for sharing information about the neighborhood. You can’t be anonymous, the people that run it are on accessible and respond to complaints and suggestions, (sorry Geeky Swedes) and people are willing to share information, make comments and not be afraid that some idiot is going to attack them/ As far as I am concerned Nextdoor is a wonderful asset to the local communities.
    FWIW the posts and interactions that have been going on on Nextdoor Ballard and Magnolia have resulted in SPD, SPU and the Mayors office actually doing something about the problems.

VeganBiker
    Participant

I will add that a few years ago, maybe 3 or 4, MayBallard was a fun forum to be a part of. People had a sense of humor and interacted in a fun way. I made quite a few friends from being active here, but then the trolls started dropping by and I think people got fed up with the lack of response from the web support team and also the software upgrade that they did which resulted in people being unable to log in or post and all kinds of problems contributed to the demise of the forum.
    I do miss the quirky posts and the odd characters that posted here and the helpful, knowledgeable folks that would post great info. But I really do not miss all the nasty comments and attacks the went on over the years.
    Anyway, Nextdoor is where it is at for now. Things are getting done there, people are organising and positive change is being made in our communities because of the ability to communicate with others in a safe online environment.

GAM
    Participant

I’ve heard people speak well of NextDoor, but when I read that Ballard was segmented into multiple sub-neighborhoods, I didn’t want to contend with all those different forums.

Plus I don’t like having to fork over personal information to see what the content even looks like.

VeganBiker
    Participant

GAM- it is actually not that bad, you can select the neighborhoods that yo participate in and block others and you only have to make your name and your street visible to others. You can limit the amount of info other people can see but you do need to use your “real” name and give the manages your real email and other info to be able to participate. I really like it and it is working, people are connecting with each other in a positive way and getting things done. Like the guy who works at Windermere office on Market that has been using his own truck to collect the abandoned shopping carts along the Burke Gilman trail and returning them to the stores or the people that have organised meeting to talk about the homeless situation in Ballard etc. Great community activism that all came about from people sharing info and comments on the Nextdoor forums.
    Something like that did happen here a few years ago but not any more.

JM98107
    Participant

Veggie, thanks for the info, but I don’t see anything getting done except more creeps migrating into the hobo utopia.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.