Ants: Cry "Uncle"?

Home Forums Open forum Ants: Cry "Uncle"?

This topic contains 6 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Shelley 3 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

GAM
    Participant

Anyone have any advice about ants?

The tiny ones have been finding their way into my house, no doubt via the crawlspace below. I’ve heard a lot of conflicting information about what’s effective. I’ve also hear I’m not the only one with the problem right now. Have we got ourselves an epidemic?

lakreitz
    Participant

Those guys invade every spring. Still winter according to the calendar, but if the ants are here, then it’s officially spring.

I’ve had great luck with Terro and I’ve always been able to find it at Stoneway Hardware. The active ingredient is borax which has low toxicity for people and pets. It takes awhile for it to work as the workers need to find it, take it back to the nest and then poison the queen. I clean away any food debris they might be interested in and this includes sap dropped by some house plants. I scrub floors down with vinegar and water to remove any trail they are leaving for fellow workers and then put the bait next to their entry location.

GAM
    Participant

Terro seems to be doing the trick! It took them until the evening to take to it, but then they gorged and for the past couple days I’ve just had a couple strays. I’m leaving the bait out a bit longer, to be safe.

I read that ants hate vinegar, so cleaning with that is a great way to repel them.

Whew!

lakreitz
    Participant

Yay! Good to hear. I don’t mind them in the yard, but I draw the line at home invasion.

gracie
    Participant

I have them under front sidewalk and all over front yard. Is this Terro really safe to put in yard? I wouldn’t want my cat to get sick chewing on grass and come May I am getting a puppy.

GAM
    Participant

They recommend not putting it where critters and kids could nibble on it. I doubt it would kill them: something mild enough to let an ant live long enough to get back to the nest and infect others is not very strong. But it wouldn’t do larger critters any favors, and I don’t want to hear about Pickles feeling bad.

I’m thinking of putting some of the excess in my crawl space – out of reach of outside critters, but likely in a place where it can have an impact on the ants.

Shelley

A humorous photo sideways to the topic:

We only had one year here with an ant issue in the house. We bought these metal Ant Stakes at Lowes I think and put a few of them around where we saw the line of ants marching up the foundation. Every couple of weeks we dribbled a little hot water on the stake. The ants completely disappeared from the house in a few days with a few stragglers showing up a few weeks later, though there is still a fairly big nest of them by our butternut tree in the back yard. Our cats paid the stakes no mind, and I don’t think much of the borax got out of the stakes. The instructions said to keep away from pets and children. If the cats had taken interest in them, we probably would have put some wood blocks in front of them.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.