Are any of you eligible for Centurylink Fiber ?

Home Forums Open forum Are any of you eligible for Centurylink Fiber ?

This topic contains 13 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  Tandm 3 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author

Jimmy Rustler
    Participant

I’ve been checking the centurylink site regularly since hearing about the fiber internet in Ballard. I enter my address and it doesn’t show me as eligible for it. I’m just wondering if any of you have tried and succeeded? If not, go here- – ->https://www.centurylink.com/fiber/

LY
    Participant

Not here. 17th and 70th. Only qualify for 12mbps download. I get 20 now with Comcast. Can’t wait for some competition, though. I am out of contract with Comcast and would be happy to switch.

SunsetHillGuy
    Participant

nope, they say I can only get 20mbps with them and according to SpeedTest I’m getting 49.98 right now from Comcast

Jimmy Rustler
    Participant

That’s weird. I’ve spoken to other people who live in Ballard and they say they are not eligible either. I called Centurylink and the person helping me had no idea what I was talking about. I’m near 8th and NW Market St.

SunsetHillGuy
    Participant

ha!! I checked my old address down by the Locks and saw best it could get was 3!

and CenturyLink wanted the same amount as what they said they would give me here at 85th & 32nd at 20!

My parents’ house a block away says it can get up to 7, seriously?

ah this might help shed some light on things:

http://crosscut.com/2014/08/05/technology/121337/centurylink-fiber-internet-gigabit-seattle/

CenturyLink does, indeed, plan to introduce a fiber-to-the-home network in Seattle. Meg Andrews of CenturyLink says “this product will be true fiber-to-the-premise/home, not fiber to a box in a neighborhood, then connecting to existing copper wires.”

But it doesn’t exist, yet.

Sue Anderson, Vice-President and General Manager for CenturyLink’s Greater Puget Sound Region says the fiber network will build upon CenturyLink’s existing fiber, and will connect “tens of thousands” of homes in Seattle over the next year or so. Indeed, she says a number of apartment buildings and condo buildings in Seattle are already connected, with gigabit speeds available.

The new gigabit service will be available soon to single family homes in “the neighborhoods of Ballard, West Seattle, the Central District and Beacon Hill,” according to Anderson, although she won’t give a specific map or timeframe for the rollout, other than “now into 2015”.

Shelley

TandM posted here a few days ago. He works for CLink. http://www.myballard.com/forums/topic/ballard-is-getting-gig-service/

I’m not holding my breath out here in Hillbilly land. The best available at my address is “3 Mbps”, and I had it for a while — the max seen was 1.3 Mbps when testing on Speed Test despite several go-rounds with their tech support.

As Sunset Hill Guy posted, it’s all smoke at present. CLink is asking the city for significant relief from DPD/DOT regs I believe and hizzoner uncle Ed has yet to draft the measure to go before council, so it’ll be a while yet. I’ll wager the rollout date for Crown Hill is 2018 if ever.

phoo
    Participant

Interesting. I thought I might be eligible because I’m already on VDSL. VDSL is a hybrid… it runs over fiber until a certain point, then runs over copper. It says I can get up to 40Mbps, which is not a change. Frankly, I’m not running services and I don’t play online games, so 5 up 7 down is just fine for me. For a short period I had more, and didn’t notice any difference. I only pay for 5 up because that’s the minimum for VDSL. When I was downgraded against my will and tried to RDP into my house, 896K up was brutally painful, though I never noticed a difference with the 5Mbps down vs the 7 I have now. I’m happy with what I’ve got.

Honestly, I don’t think people need 1Gb unless they are doing something really serious.

Hah, I just noticed that there “this speed is perfect for” lists “streaming movies” under 20Mbps. What a crock! I stream from both Hulu and Netflix and it’s just fine, even from my wii which still uses I think 802.11B! oldoldold. I also notice that don’t mention the up speed, only the down. If I were looking for more speed it would probably be because I was running services and I’d definitely want to know my up speed. You could say most people wouldn’t care, but… this is Seattle. You can’t throw a rock without hitting a dozen geeks.

BuffaloHawk
    Participant

I can get up to 12 Mbps near 65th & 6th

Jimmy Rustler
    Participant

I play online games all the time and everything I watch is streamed (I don’t have cable). I also found this but it you have to live in certain buildings to get it: http://www.condointernet.net/

phoo
    Participant

That makes sense. They want to continue to lure the well-heeled and developers to Ballard.

Although TandM did say that it would first be available to single resident homes.

Tandm
    Participant

Hello All, The system wont show you as eligible for fiber yet because the plant is not built into the system yet. I will tell you, a good portion of Ballard/Crown Hill will be covered by the new Fiber footprint.

The fiber is being run right now if you want to see it, although there isn’t much to look at. It is being run down 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th, and 8th and is down to approx NW 95th and NW 97th st. Those people withing reach of there should hopefully be able to order service by the end of the month.

When you go to the website there is a click to be informed box where you can enter your email. Alternatively, you can just email me at tstille@centurylink.com and I will keep you informed, I’ll also be updating here.

For those that don’t know who I am, I am a field supervisor for CenturyLink. I live in Ballard and can assist with any issues you may have. Cheers.

Jimmy Rustler
    Participant

@tandm: This is excellent news, mate. Thanks for the reply. I can’t wait to switch providers.

gnoman
    Participant

Tandm, when this rolls out, will POTS be delivered over the fiber as well? According to the article in Crosscut cited above, it sounds like fiber will be coming into residences. Really looking forward to it showing up on 14th, north of 100th in Crown Hill.

Also, maybe you can clear up a bit of a mystery for me. At 8th and 97th, on the east side of the street lies a piece of Century Link equipment. When they were putting it in several years ago, I could have sworn I spied fiber being piped there. That equipment is not what the fiber rollout will look like? Is that the “old” hybrid VDSL fiber to copper system that Phoo mentions above?

Tandm
    Participant

@gnoman Yes, POTS will come over the fiber as well if you order fiber. At this point, copper lines will still exist for those people that don’t order a fiber based service. When you order a fiber speed, we will come to your house and remove all of our copper “drops” to your house and replace it with a brand spanking new fiber drop. All your services will be delivered over that.

The equipment you are talking about is probably a DSLAM. That has fiber in, copper out. The new fiber roll out looks nothing like that, it is mostly aerial so far.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.