Are we stuck with Comcast?

Home Forums Open forum Are we stuck with Comcast?

This topic contains 6 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Tandm 4 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Joe & AE
    Participant

Hello. We are moving into a condo near 17th and Market next week. We’ve been with Comcast for a long time (of course), and we are hoping there might be a different Internet provider out there for us. Comcast just hasn’t met our expectations for customer service, and their Internet (and cable) service can sometimes be shoddy. Unfortunately, our building is not one of the CondoInternet buildings :(

We don’t need cable — just the Internet. Are we stuck with Comcast? Thanks.

SmartsyArtsy
    Participant

I would try Centurylink. My internet is CL and, although I did not choose to purchase a super fast speed, I am happy. Besides, we have a resident MB and Ballard CL supervisor who, with his team has resolved problems for several of us.

Mondoman
    Participant

See if you can get Condo Internet — talk with them if you haven’t already. I think they’re now within a few blocks of you at most and would probably love to get into one of the big newer buildings there — maybe they can do a deal with your owners’ association.

Joe & AE
    Participant

Great. Thank you both!

Tandm
    Participant

Hi,

CenturyLink Internet in Ballard is hit or miss speed wise, depending on where you live. Some of the new condo units being built are getting incredible speeds (Up to 1 GB) and some of the areas around Sunset Hill are still stuck at 1.5. Fortunately, it looks like the city is going to relax the directors rule and make it easier for us to roll out fiber to more areas.

If you would like me to get you specific speeds available to you just shoot me an email at tstille@centurylink.com I can check speeds and then have a local person here in Seattle get you prices if you’re interested.

As always, if anyone is having issues, please email me as well and let me try and get them fixed for you.

Mondoman
    Participant

Tandm: Is there a general rule-of-thumb to predict rough speeds in advance? For example, distance from the switching center on 14th Ave NW, or is it now really just dependent on the closest streetside box?

Tandm
    Participant

@mondoman I’m sorry, i thought I had responded to this. Distance from the C.O. is usually a really good predictor, but as you said we have so many DSLAMS scattered through the neighborhood it’s usually just best to have someone check. Also, a lot of areas along Market St and 15th Ave have Fiber runs. Every new development that has any significant number of units is also getting Fiber with speeds up to a Gig.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.