…as if the world was ending

Home Forums Open forum …as if the world was ending

This topic contains 43 replies, has 14 voices, and was last updated by  Life is amazing 3 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 44 total)
  • Author

great idea
    Participant

I am sure many of you have been following the recent property crime issues in Seattle.

perhaps some of you also know that some of our neighbors have banded together to establish private patrols to make sure their cars are safe.

have any of you bought into this nonsense, and if so, why?

do you know that our area is relatively low crime, even property crime, relative to other parts of the city?
    http://www.seattle.gov/police/seastat/Meetings/SeaStat_ppt_20141217.pdf

will you really lose 250 dollars of stuff in a year to join?

if you’re paying for only one four hour patrol with that 250, will that really do any good?

I am more curious than anything. This just does not seem like money well spent.

GAM
    Participant

Just because other areas have worse problems is no reason to not address problems in our own neighborhood.

Now, do these private patrols work? I have no idea. I’m not aware of any near me. Anyone have information to share?

Having no information, I can suppose that a four hour patrol during the time when SPD is most overwhelmed would allow SPD to focus on more urgent calls. During the quieter times, SPD could respond to minor crimes themselves and the private patrols wouldn’t be as worthwhile to fund. At least, I hope it’s not a case of just making the car prowlers wait until the private patrols have ended to start jacking cars.

JM98107
    Participant

The population keeps going up and it brings the bums and crooks too. We have some friends in the Madrona area and they’ve had private security for some time. Having extra eyes on the block seems to work for them, being closer to the central area, which has always had a lot more crime. They patrol day and night and can alert the police to suspects prowling. Security can call or email, from the car to the neighborhood, when something is happening.

Crownhiller
    Participant

Well, first – I think it’s more than just cars they are concerned about. Isn’t car prowling considered something of a “indicator” crime? Starts small with cars, moves on to houses? Maybe not. I wouldn’t pay such a fee but I think people have the right to be concerned about their neighborhoods.

That being said, I do wonder if just having more neighbors be out and about at various times of day/night, thereby increasing visibility is a similar deterrent? Have no idea but, having read about the Laurelhurst version of this that involves off-duty police in uniform, I can’t help thinking there must be a better answer….

Shelley

Great idea, spot on. Property crime is way higher in the U-District, Lake City, West Seattle, I-District, etc.

I think this one also has off duty SPD in uniform with their service guns too.

If it is effective, it will only push the tweakers to the adjoining neighborhoods. The outrage seems to be a bit overplayed to me. Yeah it’s terrible these guys are stealing packages off of porches too (probably different folk, but lets lump the ne’er do wells all in the same category). Car prowls and theft. Another example of property crimes. Yet these folk in WHIN say its mostly about safety. And throw up the example of the Ballard High kids who were terrorizing folk around Safeway. I sincerely doubt the patrols will actually go by there unless to pick up donuts. The car prowls are happening at night, the packages go missing during the day.

Crownhiller, yes getting people out walking in the neighborhood and observing is probably at least as good as paying an SPD officer to put in 4 more hours after his/her 8 on the public dime. I wonder about stretching the officers might make them less effective on their standard 8. I’m out walking at 5:30 every morning.

Yes, I’ve had a package stolen from my porch. It was ordered from a company that replaced the shipment for me. No big deal, a bit of a hassle because I didn’t realize it was missing until I checked to see if it was shipped. Oh well, life in the city. Right?

Let’s give the new Police Chief a chance to clean house, restaff the North Precinct.

Richy
    Participant

Here is a link to the news story for Whittier Heights neighborhood.

http://www.king5.com/story/news/local/seattle/2014/12/19/whittier-heights-seattle-police/20628207/

I think they are over reacting and expect the city to take care of them on a personal one on one level.

great idea
    Participant

“If it is effective, it will only push the tweakers to the adjoining neighborhoods.”

that is what I worry about. I live south of 65th, so I don’t believe I’m even eligible to be part of this group (and patrols). we have enough car prowls down here without the whittier bandits coming onto the scene!

it seems to me that this will further divide the rich and poor. if you do live in the area, but can’t afford to pay the fee, will you not be given the special phone number to call the off-duty spd patrol when you’re in trouble?

I think the same group had private citizens going on patrols as well. that also seems odd.
    I can’t imagine tucking in my kids at night, and telling them how I will be going out later on with a small posse to look for petty criminals in the neighborhood.

thanks for posting that link, RY.

phoo
    Participant

It doesn’t matter whether it’s effective or other neighborhoods have higher crime rates. It’s a vote of no confidence in the police.

Also, $250/yr breaks out to be $20/month.

JM98107
    Participant

Forming a block watch group costs less and gives you an excuse for a summer “Night Out” potluck party.

MRK
    Participant

Crownhiller, yes getting people out walking in the neighborhood and observing is probably at least as good as paying an SPD officer to put in 4 more hours after his/her 8 on the public dime.

Citizen patrols are better than nothing, but let’s face it – some, probably quite a bit of the crime like car prowls and package theft is originating within the neighborhood and some of the “neighbors” are tolerating it for one reason or another. The longer it goes on, the more likely it is to get worse. Theft is often a symptom of active drug use. Once people get to the point where they are using so much they can’t hold a job, stealing is a top alternative.

I had a situation where drug activity picked up on my block, and much to my surprise one of the other neighbors wasn’t just tolerating it, but actually helping the junkies/tweakers buy drugs and avoid getting caught by police!

Cate
    Participant

When fire departments first started they were subscription based, the early form of insurance in the U.S. You paid your dues and they would give you a plaque to hang on the house. If there was a fire, the trucks would look to see if you had their plaque before saving your house. Times changed, we evolved, and we ended up with public fire departments that assisted anyone whose home was on fire. Just saying.

Life is amazing
    Participant

Yes it freaks me out. I put up flood lights, cameras, put locks on my gates, and signs up “your on camera” after my neighbors house was ransacked and I don’t have a damn thing anyone would want. It’s the breakins that scare me.
    Besides making your house unattractive to them, I think it’s being observant. I have no problem asking someone that I’ve never seen before who is sitting in front of my neighbors house “Can I help you?” and I’ve never once had the person or the neighbors complain.

Salmon Bay
    Participant

LIA, you might want to consider changing your signs to read “you’re on camera.”

Chris
    Participant

Salmon Bay, while I appreciate the sentiment, two thoughts: a) unlikely that that the bad guys are grading houses based on the use of homophones, and b) I’ve pretty much given up the battle on the subject of your / you’re. Those of us who prefer precision in written language have somehow lost that particular war.

Salmon Bay
    Participant

Yore rite. They’re is no point letting there punctuation and grammar win the battle is their?

phoo
    Participant

I have an inner grammar and spelling nazi. Sometimes it does come out. But when it comes to the most commonly committed mistakes (of particular aggravation is loose/lose and “freemont”), I forgive. Spelling and grammar is just not everybody’s thing. I’ll let my freak flag fly if someone is trying to be a writer or they ask for input on a professional or school paper, but just as I am terrible with math, some people are not so good with getting language perfect. Hell, I’m positive I’ve gotten grammar and spelling incorrect on this forum.

There’s also a couple things we don’t know about the people who commit these “obvious” errors. Maybe it’s a huge struggle for them to just get most things right and we don’t see the labor they went to just to get their post readable. Or maybe they are dyslexic and it’s just not their fault and they are in fact trying and improving over the years.

Face it, we live in a digital and increasingly text-based world and it’s just not an option to tell folks not to communicate with their fingers if those fingers are terrible spellers. I know no one suggested that, but for folks like the above, that’s really the only other option. No one wants to be ridiculed, so if they could change it, they probably would have.

phoo
    Participant

On a lighter note, when I explained to my English professor that I missed a particular misspelling of a word because my eyes sort of self-correct some spelling errors (for example, I had to read “Yore” 3 times before I saw the actual spelling), he said it was the most original excuse he had heard for committing an error!

Chris
    Participant

I know. I get it. Not every typo is of near-apocalyptic importance, much though I would like it to be. I try to relax about some fat-fingering and rationalize that the poster meant well, but just mistyped. Then I see something like this and it makes my head hurt.

http://screengrabber.deadspin.com/we-are-all-unided-1676832916

BuffaloHawk
    Participant

Grammar Police

No need to ring in a New year being a douche bag. This place is dead enough already

phoo
    Participant

I feel your pain, Chris. I want to hit my head every time I see someone go on about their “tounge.” It’s not even a homophone to “tongue!”

What particularly bothers me is when I see something representing a business that is misspelled. It looks very unprofessional and do I really want to work for a business who can’t perform basic grammar or run a spell check?

These things bother me too, but I have to remember that I have probably hurt an equal number of heads with my math “skills.” Even I stop and say “WTF??” sometimes.

great idea
    Participant

what businesses have you seen misspelled phoo?

there might be a reason behind what you perceive as bad grammar.

for instance, Tim Hortons Donut Shop does not have an apostrophe so that it would be an allowable name in the French speaking province of Quebec.

phoo
    Participant

I honestly can’t recall an example. It’s not the name of a business, but rather a Craigslist posting or occasionally a sign on the street. Sure, you could say “Well, Craigslist, there’s your problem right there,” but it’s still a good source for housing and job searches. I’ve gotten every apartment I’ve had since sometime in the 90s.

Usually these issues are misspellings and not a pun or otherwise intentional.

Shelley

Here’s one courtesy of a friend who is a bit of a word authoritarian:

Capital Mall in Olympia: http://shoppingcapitalmall.com/

It’s the name of the mall. “Hey, I’m gonna build this nice mall with tons of stores in it, and it’s gonna be in the Capital (sic) of Washington State.”

great idea
    Participant

help me out here Shelley.

that appears correct to me.
    are you suggesting it should be capitol? doesn’t that refer to the building that is occupied by the state legistlature?

GAM
    Participant

Capital = money
    Capitol = political headquarters

While “they’re/there/their” type mixups are very distracting to me as a reader, I try avoid public mockery over them. I will privately inform folks if I think they truly don’t know the difference. It’s more about education than demonstrating my credentials as grammar police.

An argument could be made that the mall is named correctly, since they deal in capital. I would not buy that argument, however.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 44 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.