…as if the world was ending

Home Forums Open forum …as if the world was ending

This topic contains 43 replies, has 14 voices, and was last updated by  Life is amazing 3 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 19 posts - 26 through 44 (of 44 total)
  • Author

great idea
    Participant

I think you are oversimplifying it GAM.

this is from Merriam-Webster:
    1 of a letter : of or conforming to the series A, B, C, etc. rather than a, b, c, etc.

2a: punishable by death
    b: involving execution ;capital punishment>
    c: most serious

3a: chief in importance or influence ;capital ships; ;the capital importance of criticism in the work of creation itself — T. S. Eliott;
    b: being the seat of government

4: of or relating to capital (see 3capital); especially : relating to or being assets that add to the long-term net worth of a corporation;capital improvement;

I contend the mall-namers could refer to 3b to validate their choice of spelling.
    you usually see ‘state capitals’ which corroborates this.

GAM
    Participant

I was going from memory, which is a dangerous game for me (and getting more so each day). I trust your research.

great idea
    Participant

I honestly wasn’t sure myself until I looked it up.

I consider myself happy that I remember how to spell our ‘Capitol Hill’ correctly (which was supposedly named after a neighborhood in Denver which held the Colorado State Capitol building).

Salmon Bay
    Participant

Life is amazing
    Participant

Good god people!I was on a rant and didn’t proofread.Now I’m worried I’ll spell something wrong on this post.
    I can’t believe the accidental dropping of a punctuation mark is a more interesting topic than poop ;)
    What’s funny is I am the world’s worst speller but your and you’re are not a point of confusion for me.
    I did enjoy all the funny remarks that it caused tough

Life is amazing
    Participant

Good god people!I was on a rant and didn’t proofread.Now I’m worried I’ll spell something wrong on this post.
    I can’t believe the accidental dropping of a punctuation mark is a more interesting topic than poop ;)
    What’s funny is I am the world’s worst speller but your and you’re are not a point of confusion for me.
    I did enjoy all the funny remarks that it caused tough t thood god people!I was on a rant and didn’t proofread.Now I’m worried I’ll spell something wrong on this post.
    I did enjoy all the funny remarks that it caused thow thought thou through through though

phoo
    Participant

Hey, you really don’t want to get me on a roll about poop. I’ve worked in animal rescue, as a nurse’s aid, and as a janitor. You just don’t want to hear those stories. Much better to go on a tear about spelling.

Although I am naturally a great speller, I confess that our mongrel language does not make it easy. Sure, we have rules about spelling, and then we break them. “I before E, except after C, except weird cases like weird.” I recently learned caffeine is one of these words and I’m still trying to spell the damned thing right. Borrowing from everyone is often an asset to our country, but is a real liability when it comes to spelling words correctly.

Chris
    Participant

I am on record as saying that poop is the single funniest word in the English language. However, I have low standards, other than spelling.

phoo
    Participant

You’re wrong, Chris. The single funniest word is “poopy.”

Chris
    Participant

Thought experiment – put umlauts over the two o’s in poop. The funny and the symmetry far outweigh what you can do with “poopy”. I am not proud that I’ve thought about these things, but I have thought about these things.

phoo
    Participant

Visually, I think you’re right. But “poopy” is aurally hilarious. Such a wonderfully silly word.

GAM
    Participant

pööp!

oldguybc
    Participant

All my grandkids (and kids too, sometimes) call me “Poppy”, sometimes misspelled as “Poopy”, I never complain because it pretty much fits…

Life is amazing
    Participant

Hahahaha
    Well this was fun to open.
    First we have my contribution that just looks bizarre because I was doing it with my smart phone that was being particularly dumb that day (usually it’s user error but not that time) going on and off and saying it didn’t post when clearly it did so that I kept trying to finish it and post it not knowing what was going on.
    Then a debate about whether poop or poopy is the more entertaining word with Gam popping in with a happy little addition and then Oldguy cracking me up.
    Hee, thanks guys

oldguybc
    Participant

LIA, nice to hear someone laugh, life is far too short not to…
    Without the GAM definition we would not have a deck to throw the halibut on…

Chris
    Participant

Come for the ranting. Stay for the poop jokes. That’s what we are here for.

phoo
    Participant

Hahahaha, Chris! Truth.

great idea
    Participant

Truth’s Chris Stank House

Life is amazing
    Participant

Hahahaha!

Viewing 19 posts - 26 through 44 (of 44 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.