Ballard is getting Gig Service!!

Home Forums Open forum Ballard is getting Gig Service!!

This topic contains 15 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  phoo 4 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author

Tandm
    Participant

I’ll get you more information as get it.

Tandm
    Participant

Tandm
    Participant

The new gigabit service will be available soon to single family homes in “the neighborhoods of Ballard, West Seattle, the Central District and Beacon Hill,”

great idea
    Participant

According to Meg Andrews of Century Link, the gigabit service will be priced at $79.99 a month with a 12-month commitment and a “bundle”, which Andrews says would include home phone and long-distance service.

doesn’t it seem antiquated to bundle this service with a landline?

donarb
    Participant

If you order before the end of August, they’ll throw in a free dot-matrix printer and a year of AOL.

Richy
    Participant

If it is like the Clink 40MBs service (for $19 – $49) @ 1.5Mbs reality, then the 1Gb = 40Mbs with expensive phone service.

Shelley

Here’s hizzoner Uncle “Ed’s” take on it. http://murray.seattle.gov/mayor-murrays-broadband-plan-already-yielding-results/

It’s already yielding results, but the legislation hasn’t been written, much less voted on yet?

Richy, they have to bundle the expensive phone service, so they don’t get Ooma-ed out of their main line of business I guess. I unloaded Clink in March. There’s too much bundling of crap in the industry. Not sure who invented ‘bundling’ but there’s sure a lot of competition for crap bundles in the cable/phone/tv/communications/internet industries.

Lou98107
    Participant

“…with a 12-month commitment and a “bundle”, which Andrews says would include home phone and long-distance service.”

doesn’t it seem antiquated to bundle this service with a landline?

In all fairness, the call quality from a phone plugged into an old-fashioned wall phone jack can be much better and more reliable than what you get on a cell phone.

Richy
    Participant

Shelley, for some bundles can save the companies and the consumer money, for example:
    Insurance (most have many types of insurance) – it is less expensive to service multi-policies to one address/person/family then to do one-offs, you get a discount – company gets more money.

Phone – may be the counter-example get a product that is good, over charge then discount ( deep ) if the consumer takes a poor product also

Lou98107, I ported my home # to a cell, hooked up to my house so all the old extensions work, can call anywhere in the US and most places in the world for $10.00 / month. Side advantage, I can take my home # when I travel to anywhere in the world and most areas the charge for outgoing is low.

compare to $49/m + long distance + sometimes better quality over mobility + convenience and $10.00 / m I will take cell any day (also data is included for the $10/m most places in the world – no charge)

donarb
    Participant

CenturyLink giving parts of Seattle ultrafast broadband, finally

The Times article clarifies things a bit. CenturyLink will offer unbundled service for $110/month, but only for the first year, then it jumps to $152/month. Also requires a $60 installation fee, $20 processing fee and $7/month modem rental. They’ll also offer 40 Mb service for low-income residents for $10/mo, rising to $15 after the first year.

As for bundling, CL offers DirectTV and Verizon wireless, so those would qualify you for the lower rate.

I like how the Times’ headline says that CenturyLink is “giving” residents fast Internet.

Tandm
    Participant

These prices are for a Gig. Very few people will want that speed. The sweet spots will be 40 Mbps and 100 Mbps. There is some pricing posted here:

https://www.centurylink.com/fiber/plans-and-pricing/seattle-washington/

Mondoman
    Participant

Sadly, the CenturyLink website reports no gig, nor 40meg, available for my large multi-unit building in central ballard. I would have thought that fancy new wiring would be easier to run to a modern multi-family building, but maybe the “single-family” part of the announcement is true.

Shelley

Oh wow! I’m now eligible for 3 Mbps via Clink at my house in Crown Hill. Overjoyed.

Tandm
    Participant

@Shelley, the fiber hasn’t rolled out yet. We should start seeing movement on that very quickly. I’ll keep you all posted.

Oly
    Participant

One of Mayor McMurray’s big campaign donors was…. C Link. Another political pay back.

phoo
    Participant

For folks looking to join CL for the new speeds, I’ve got some words of caution. First, I find their tech support superior to that of Qwest. They know what they are talking about and even better, can assess your tech skill and not talk down to you if you know what you’re talking about.

However, be very careful when a rep promises you something. I was lied to by 3-4 different reps (and one onsite tech) before I got a supervisor to finally straighten service out. That was a solid month of being lied to about the prices of things and having my service changed in a way I did not ask for (that was may have been incompetence however). After the first time, I think I may have had “SUCKER” on my account, because each rep that lied to me tried to hard sell me on an additional service. Another point of incompetence is a modem that was sent out to me when the rep knew I did not need it, I told them I did not want it and I was instructed to refuse from UPS. I did, but I was billed anyway. Everything got straightened out in the end and I got a loyalty credit to offset the 6-8 weeks of pain I went through dealing with them. Was it worth it for the temporary reduction? Not really, though I definitely appreciate the credit. A concrete “sorry” goes so much further than empty words. Don’t be like me – if a deal doesn’t exist in print, understand the real risk you are taking. I had to call CL every few days to a week during that first month to find out if the previous rep had done what they said and then explain the story all over again to the new rep. Their reps obviously get incentives for getting people to upgrade and those incentives don’t get taken away when you tell another rep you were lied to.

I am however happy with my speed and uptime otherwise. There have been a couple periods of time where my service would go down when there was a long period of inactivity – I had to reset the modem twice a day. However, I always just waited it out and they’d get it fixed without my having to call. It’s a good service as long as you don’t have to speak with the regular reps.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.