Ballard wins the lottery!

Home Forums Open forum Ballard wins the lottery!

This topic contains 130 replies, has 25 voices, and was last updated by  MidWest 4 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 131 total)
  • Author

pennygirl
    Participant

For the record, the last time I ate a pot brownie was at a Mornington Crescent flat, London NW1 in 1989. No children involved. The last time I smoked pot was in 2002. No children involved.

teigyr
    Participant

I think the difference between alcohol and tasty treats though is someone could not realize what it is. I can totally see that happen either with kids or with unsuspecting adults. Now that it’s legal, it is far more in the open so at a potluck (not work related, granted) or party, I can see brownies or cupcakes being akin to jello shots. There’s a lot of responsibility and thought required and, unfortunately, I think many people weren’t blessed with common sense. Colorado has had more instances of emergency room vet visits, I guess it doesn’t react so well for dogs. The point is, if it’s legal it will be more out in the open. That is fine but people need to be intelligent about it.

I do know some people who probably would make super special deserts for parties. Again I only hope that they think that not everyone can or should have it and will label it or warn people somehow.

great idea
    Participant

when are these stores going to open already?

I need statistics to prove my (and teiygr’s I think) point.

the modern day ‘pot brownies’ are really strong, and as marijuana becomes more assimilated in our culture, people will let their guard down, and it will be an available (and tasty from a juvenile’s perspective) dessert.

pennygirl
    Participant

I am sure that if anyone makes pot brownies for a party, they will let people know that they are pot brownies.

pennygirl
    Participant

GI..before getting your knickers in a twist over this, you should worry about booze. Probably what you were doing as a teen.

great idea
    Participant

I thought it was easier for kids to get pot than booze.

isn’t it? I think your kid(s) are older than mine.

I’m not getting my knickers in a twist (the way I did with Rooney’s goal :), but I agree booze will present the greater evil when my kids drive. as much as I drank as a teen, I rarely drove and can only hope they do better than the old man.

Cate
    Participant

Just this week a man and his minor daughter were arrested over pot brownies Seems the father gave his daughter Hash oil. She bakes a batch of “special” brownies, takes them to school and passes them out without mentioning the extra ingredient. So yeah, minors (and majors) are going to get into trouble over edibles. http://www.kirotv.com/news/news/dad-charged-after-giving-thc-oil-daughter/ngNhw/

phoo
    Participant

When I was a teenager, it was easier for me to get pot than booze. Ironically because pot was illegal. There weren’t any drug dealers selling booze to minors so we had to opt for “shoulder taps” outside a convenience store and hope we got a sympathetic person. For the illegal stuff, drug dealers don’t exactly card a person.

The father giving his kid hash oil (which is high octane stuff!) bothers the heck out of me and is independent of whether pot is legal or not. It’s like giving his daughter a fifth of Everclear and her sharing it with classmates. Wrong on both parts, but precipitated by someone who ostensibly should have known better because he’s a fully formed adult. Irresponsible adults always bother me. And don’t procreate if you can’t be responsible!

Ernie
    Participant

And don’t procreate if you can’t be responsible!

Ha! Unfortunately many people procreate because they can’t be responsible.

BuffaloHawk
    Participant

Point to Ernie haHa

phoo
    Participant

Ernie: You have an excellent point! This could certainly explain some of the dumbing down of society. ;) You win a doughnut.

BuffaloHawk
    Participant

Phoo … Stay on topic

He wins a brownie ;)

phoo
    Participant

Ok, so who wants to play “safe or unsafe?” with a plate of brownies? The bummer to this game is you have to wait an hour to be able to tell!

Many moons ago, pot was effectively legal in Seattle. It was officially “decriminalized,” but there was at least one store (probably a lot more than that, but this is the only one I *know* of) where you could buy ALL your greens. In that same area (Queen Anne) there was a cafe that had a free “all you can smoke” policy, but the food was more expensive. :) During this time, it’s no surprise that people made pot brownies. It was the custom at the time to have one plate labeled “safe” and another labeled “unsafe.” I imagine there were social penalties for anyone not labeling unsafe brownies properly. Yes, there are always jerks, nefarious creeps and complete idiots, but generally most people abide by the custom at the time. Because this particular custom is rooted in common sense, I’m going to predict most people will do this again even if the terms are different. (As a side note this also explains why so damn many drivers do not follow the law to signal X feet in advance, because it has become the Seattle custom to signal only when you are performing the action if you bother signaling at all).

pennygirl
    Participant

I agree with Phoo. I really don’t think that any of you are going to attend a party and inadvertently feed yourself/your child a pot brownie.

Cate
    Participant

pg and phoo – I think you are underestimating the utter cluelessness of some high schoolers.

pennygirl
    Participant

I was talking about parents/pot brownies and four year olds.

oldguybc
    Participant

Just sayin’ this & that is all for this topic… the wonderful State of Washington already had a working model of booze control that rivaled none in the country, unfortunately… so just why they didn’t apply that same model to the control of cannabis and rake in the money? Would that be too easy or what? The one thing the wonderful State of Washington was real good at way back in the day was wasting money and I see that has not changed one iota! Oh, the humanity!!!

Jimmy Rustler
    Participant

Anyone leaving their edibles around for their kids to eat are just bad parents. Also, anyone leaving their gun around for their kids to shoot themselves are bad parents.

I’ve always wondered why people need a license to drive a car but they don’t need one to raise a child.

phoo
    Participant

Jimmy: I wondered that for awhile, but parenting is highly subjective and being dictated by the state is a Bad Thing. There are in fact a few things we can agree as a society that are Bad and we should not do to children like have sex with them, beat them, starve them, etc. The rest gets really nebulous and subjective. Driving a car should have standards. If someone breaks those standards, the entire system can break down because driving is a public human networked system, and it’s not *nearly* as complicated as human development.

Jimmy Rustler
    Participant

@phoo: I understand where you’re coming from, mate. I just think there should be some kind of standardized testing (IQ test maybe?) we could do before people were allowed to have children. I’m not saying that driving a car is exactly like raising a kid but they are situations where you are responsible for the life of someone else.

I know that passing a driving test doesn’t prove a person is a good driver but it does prove that the person cares enough to pass themselves off as a competent driver. At least during the test anyway.

phoo
    Participant

Jimmy: I really get where you’re coming from. The problem is, power corrupts.. Being in charge of the standards for procreation is something that every major group out there would have an interest in. And how do we know the answers are honest? How do we know what they believe and what they do are the same thing? Lots of parents believe that physically abusing your child is wrong, and some of those parents DO physically abuse their child. You could maybe say “well, let’s make everyone attend a parenting class,” but again you have the same issue with “what content goes in?” and specialty groups having a vested interested in content. I’d be more in favor of a mandatory parenting class for someone who is pregnant, but… how do you enforce that? You can’t make them unpregnant (not without raising a WHOLE barrel of fun issues and dangers!) and it leaves men right out of the loop. Are we going to send women to jail cause the baby came early before they could schedule the parenting class?

Anyways, if you want to discuss this further (and it’s an interesting topic!), we should probably take it to its own thread.

On topic content: When are pot shops scheduled to open? I want to go and then not buy anything because a) it’s all too expensive and b) there’s nothing weak enough for the sub-sub-sub lightweight category.

phoo
    Participant

Ok, I didn’t find a good answer to my question. It seems like this process is set up awkwardly on so it goes slow on purpose. But I did find this article:
    http://www.downtownseattle.com/blog/2014/05/07/first-marijuana-stores-downtown-likely-to-open-in-sodo/
    They mention July for when they get a *license* not when they open up shop. However, it’s worth noting that another article says the first will be in west seattle, so it seems there’s some guessing going on.

Food truck selling edibles: (If you’re a horrible parent or child molester, take your kid here!)
    http://www.hemp.org/news/content/washington-food-truck-now-sells-marijuana-infused-treats

Here’s an old article about a marijuana shop moving into the old liquor store space on 15th. but how do they know if the process is so damn slow, like the first article indicates? http://mynorthwest.com/646/2207464/The-Walmart-of-weed-opens-in-Seattle-retail-sales-coming-next

Jimmy Rustler
    Participant

Here is a fairly recent article http://blog.seattlepi.com/marijuana/2014/06/12/legal-marijuana-will-be-available-early-july-prices-quantity-may-vary/#14194101=0&19405105=0&21503103=0

Early July sounds about right but i could not find an exact date. I don’t smoke weed myself but I think decriminalizing it is a smart move. It feels like progress. They should legalize prostitution and gambling next.

phoo
    Participant

I’m really not a pot smoker either. It just doesn’t agree with me, though I’ve tried it. A couple years back I was pretty sick and considered a medical marijuana license to see if I could find a low-THC strain and whether it could help me, but it was too many IFs for getting on a federal list.

BuffaloHawk
    Participant

It looks like we should have our first shop on 7-8-14 if all goes ok.

First group of retail marijuana stores expected to open on July 8 in Washington

Now there’s a date: The first group of “20-ish” retail marijuana stores will open on July 8 … if it all goes according to the latest plans.

The Liquor Control Board is planning to issue the first licenses Monday, July 7, and those new licensees will have to use the first 24 hours getting the marijuana into their store tracing program. Then they can open on the 8th, said Brian Smith, the LCB’s communication director.

One retailer who expects to open a store in Seattle on July 8 is Michael Perkins. He’s planning to open in a former state-run liquor store location at 14343 15th Ave. NE. And then by the end of July, he hopes to have a second store open on Aurora Avenue.

Perkins, who has extensive experience in the medical cannabis market and still runs several medical dispensaries, says he will have I-502 product to sell in his retail shop, though he isn’t exactly sure what they’ll charge per gram or how long it will last.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 131 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.