Ballard wins the lottery!

Home Forums Open forum Ballard wins the lottery!

This topic contains 130 replies, has 25 voices, and was last updated by  MidWest 3 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 76 through 100 (of 131 total)
  • Author

JM98107
    Participant

Looks like the retail weed sales aren’t happening in Ballard today.

Shelley

but … a Ballardite grandmother was first in line at the only Seattle store to open today. Does that count as winning? http://kplu.org/post/snapshots-who-waited-line-buy-marijuana-and-why

Buffalo Hawk, there are so many WA plates on the road in Oregon, Idaho, it’s not even funny how many more state troopers they would need to make profiling productive. Bottom line, they’re not gonna stop you unless you’re doing something else of interest. Been listening to NPR interviews with ID and OR law enforcement peeps all day.

Peace out everyone.

hippiefreak
    Participant

More edible news: Colorado has/had a problem with people overeating edibles, not anticipating the delayed reaction, but then getting a huge (and apparently unwanted) accumulated delayed reaction.

The above is not my opinion, folks. This is just the news. I was anticipating a discussion, not the self-inflating personal attacks from overly sensitive people.

(Cate, if you don’t want me to post, don’t engage me with negative. Simply as that. Why can’t you think that up on your own? Neither could Pennygirl, who asks me a question and gets mad when I answer. Lame!)

phoo
    Participant

HippieFreak,

I noticed you made no mention of my reply. Granted my points weren’t couched in a bunch of prose (and I didn’t hit every point of yours as I did before my long post was eaten), but I still refuted some of your points. Thus far you’ve largely only mentioned those who did not make a cogent argument to your points.

I was hoping to have an honest debate. Unfortunately, I’m not completely sure I would have gotten that and my time is suddenly sucked up again, so I won’t have an hour to craft a response. I really did wish I had that luxury.

hippiefreak
    Participant

Hi Phoo,

You’re exactly right, I’ve only answered to the wrong people, yuk. I’ve been absorbed with swatting flies here and my thoughts about your post of June 29, 2014 at 12:09 pm just faded away, to my regret. I was just about to vacate the premises when I saw you post above. Like you, my original post was not honored and I had to truncate it, calling it Part 1. Never got to writing Part 2 before the distractions occurred.

Ok, let me try to address your points, but I worry this website may truncate again.

You: People who are for marijuana legalization are not the same as those who consume marijuana.

Me: I am concerned about the marketing of edibles, to the extent it brings the drug to children (I wrote “minors”). I would hope any group of people would want to get behind that.

Say, let me just post this much before the website acts up, and I’ll look for your next post in a day or three?

Thank you.

pennygirl
    Participant

Definite troll. Phoo, don’t waste your time.

great idea
    Participant

how is that trolling, penny?

as I first mentioned on June 19, 2014 at 3:40 pm (Reply #68872)

“I think it is a legitimate concern.”

I agree with hippiefreak that the marketing of medibles is often geared toward youth. is this the same as tobacco companies looking to hook people on their product? perhaps.

regardless, it’s not an immediate concern as these are not yet legal, but the dude knows what he’s talking about.

pennygirl
    Participant

great idea – if you had teenagers how would you address this? Differently to how you address alcohol? Tobacco? How about illegal drugs?

Anyway, the ID thing applies, so it isn’t like they can pick the stuff up at 7-11 along with a pop.

I think that he is either on a mission from Mars Hill, or is just playing with us.

Richy
    Participant

hippiefreak, as most know I am pretty much anti drug usage by youth, but I am more against sensational reporting.

There were in fact (reported to the Colorado DPH) 8 cases of children receiving medical help in 2013 and there is an increase to 9 so far this year (out of 118,000 children receiving/needing medical help) of these 9, most were under 3yrs old – this is POOR parenting and not a marketing to children problem.

Yes , there are many reports about children dying from edibles, but they were purchased on the street by 16- 18+ yr olds looking for party drugs, don’t ask how many children have died from “party drugs”

The NIH states

Alcohol is the drug of choice among America’s adolescents, used by more young people than tobacco or illicit drugs… [T]here are 10.1 million underage drinkers in the United States… 39% of current 8th graders, 58% of 10th graders, 72% of 12th graders, and 85% of college students have tried alcohol.

BTW: Crime in the greater Denver area, as reported by DPD (most of the pot is sold in this area) is :
    down 14 % for property crime v/ 2013
    Down 16% for violent crime v/ 2013

Retail sales in CO are of $45,000,000 for Jan – March 2014

Your ideas are just – but history shows that crying about the sky falling has the same effect as the movie “reefer madness” which was basically none

BuffaloHawk
    Participant

Honestly my little one went from shaking a set of keys to being attracted to scissors. They have always been accessible but minus her germs. She knows to stay away minus time outs and spankings. It is what it is.This one falls directly on unlicensed parents and not the state.Should we ban beers in a camouflage can because it is right next to the soda can. They have the same dimensions and at 7 she knows what not and what to open. Why should we all be lumped into an uneducated parenting plan.

teigyr
    Participant

BH, I think part of the alcohol and minors thing is it doesn’t taste good to a lot of kids. i remember mixing scotch (eeeeuuuwww, have nightmares about that) with apple juice just to choke it down later on in H.S. but I knew what it was. Even if it wasn’t marked, I would know what it was. The fact it was in a liquor cabinet and all just enforced that I knew what it was.

So I guess I wonder how are edibles labeled. Is it in words? I remember stealing cookies and getting into stuff when I was not reading all that well yet. Will it taste good? Will it be an attraction? I’m not talking about what’s in it, I’m talking about the taste. I could fully see a kid trying to get into it for that alone, not because of what it was.

So parenting does come into play, of course, but how much on a lockdown will this stuff be? Better than guns? I was a totally piggy child who grew into a totally piggy adult. Even knowing better, if there was something delicious here it would be a struggle NOT to eat it and I know I will lose my job if I do. That is my concern, not kids trying to get into it like they do with the scotch & apple juice.

Ernie
    Participant

+1 pennygirl, RichY, & BH!

It’s like we’re getting the old forum back together.

FWIW, I smoked pot as a teenager before I had my first beer, and I turned out awesome!

YMMV

BuffaloHawk
    Participant

I will admit my kid is a gymnast when it come to Italian Ice and the freezer. That is a different kind of free pass. I honestly don’t smoke but don’t alienate her from reality.If you treat kids mentally like a pet they will rebel.. Complete sentences and show respect and don’t talk down and they listen. There is a lot to feed (no pun intended) in a development if you find mutual ground. She isn’t getting earrings until she is 18.

phoo
    Participant

HF: That was one of my points, but I also refuted a couple of your points. Something I think that didn’t make it into my repost was that I think marijuana advertising just as they do for alcohol and tobacco. Also, teenagers go after these things BECAUSE they know what they are and they are bound and determined to get access. They’ve got connections and they are sophisticated, as opposed to those who are younger. Those who are younger need adults to do their duty both in education and control. Don’t leave your pot brownie in the kitchen – not even hidden. Government has some obligation for regulation, but after that the burden is on adults to educate and be adults and make good decisions so that those who can’t aren’t hurt by it.

Oh, about teenagers and edibles… I think it is highly likely that when they first get ahold of one they will eat too much and have a bad time. It takes like an hour for an edible to kick in from what I’ve heard. This is actually a good thing because it won’t kill them like too much alcohol and it means they will probably wait a good long while before trying to repeat the experience.

My time to reply will also be extremely limited as I am taking 15 credits within 7-8 weeks.

Jimmy Rustler
    Participant

Any parent that does not keep their drugs in a place that is inaccessible to their children is just bad at the whole parenting thing. I mean, do responsible gun owners just put their pistols on a high shelf and hope for the best? Nope. They get a safe or lock box.

@teigyr: Why should it matter how the edibles are labeled? They shouldn’t be in the fridge next to the other food.

teigyr
    Participant

Jimmy Rustler, responsible is the key word. Just from what I see probably the majority of parents here are responsible. I don’t have the same opinion for the majority of parents in general. Responsible gun owners absolutely do not have their guns where a curious child can get to them either on purpose or accidentally. How many people here feel comfortable having their child in a friends house with a gun? I’m not equating edibles to firearms, am just saying there’s probably a higher probability that a child can get into drugs/alcohol than firearms and if that drug is in an attractive form, that makes it all the more probable. And depending on the age of the child, the harm done might be substantial. A 3 or 4 yr old (probably, I’d think?) isn’t going to go try to smoke something. Would they eat something sugary? I’m saying yes.

(I didn’t know you kept them in the fridge. Do you? This is how clueless I am!!!)

Jimmy Rustler
    Participant

What i’m saying is, there are already endless ways for children of bad parents to be hurt and unless there is a spike in bad parenting, there is not going to be a spike in kids being the victims of bad parenting.

phoo
    Participant

I don’t remember who posted it, but there was a link saying that Washington will require childproof packaging for edibles. That should help a lot, though I’m not quite sure how you do that. More concerning was that the edibles “shouldn’t appeal to children,” which is incredibly vague language. Pretty much anything with sugar in it will appeal to children. What will you do, make edibles out of spinach and steak?

Teigyr: I don’t think most edibles really need to be kept refrigerated, though it will shorten their shelf life and in hot weather they probably should be. THC is usually extracted in fat (oil, butter, etc), and that can go rancid. However, people can and do leave butter out without harmful effects. It would however be pushing it in 90F weather, but how often do we get that in a year?

BuffaloHawk
    Participant

What else could be better than a good ole chocolate brownie after a stressful day at school;) j/k

Salmon Bay
    Participant

Washington State will require its approval of all packaging for edible marijuana products, Gov. Jay Inslee said Tuesday, a pre-emptory move to ban cartoons, toy images and any other labels that might appeal to children.

BuffaloHawk
    Participant

What is the difference between buying edibles or going home and making your own edibles? It isn’t that difficult to make your own… fwiw

Edog
    Participant

Mark my words, as the pot business becomes more corporate, it will become illegal to make your own edibles.

BuffaloHawk
    Participant

I would have loved to see the global reaction if he accepted..

http://www.usatoday.com/story/theoval/2014/07/09/obama-denver-colorado-marijuana-bar/12407539/

hippiefreak
    Participant

Hi Phoo,

Responding to your post July 9, 2014 at 7:41 am.

I actually hope they package pot in a very bland way, and let the product sell itself. I caught glimpse of the packaging on the TV news on the first day the pot shops were first open and I think the packaging was bland enough for me. I think, as I didn’t get a long look.

I kinda think the illegal pot market will still exist to sell to minors. I mean, I don’t really know, of course. I’m just talkin’. Because, unless the people 21 and older procure pot for the minors, the minors still have to get their pot from SOMEWHERE. I heard on local TV that the police aren’t that interested in seeking out the established illegal drug dealers.

Going back to edibles, and just thinking logically, each minor who eats too much of it and gets sick or too high likely will try again in the future, like you say, so once they get past that initiation, this makes getting sick on edibles a temporary discussion point.

I think minors who want to get high will continue in their desire to get high, but I want us adults to not resign ourselves to some imagined vision of the inevitable and then give up on responsibility (whatever forms the responsibility takes), thus hastening that vision of inevitability. And I’m not saying responsible preventive measures are not happening. I saw on TV that pot candy will need to have the THC evenly distributed through the “candy bar” and the candy will need to be able to break apart in “doses” the way a Kit-Kat bar breaks apart. But then, the TV announcer replied, “Yeah, but who DOESN’T eat the entire Kit-Kat bar anyway?” LOL

BuffaloHawk
    Participant

Mr Yuk sticker FTW … Classic for throwback Thursday

http://www.kirotv.com/news/news/pot-edibles-hit-store-shelves/ngxHC/

Why is John’s 502 retailer the first to offer edibles? John says the state put an emergency stop on the sale of pot edibles in July–so the liquor control board could approve packaging so as to not appeal to kids–and clear labeling, to explain how much pot is in what you’re eating.

Despite the late start, Evich is anticipating a complete edible sellout in hours.

Viewing 25 posts - 76 through 100 (of 131 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.