Ballard wins the lottery!

Home Forums Open forum Ballard wins the lottery!

This topic contains 130 replies, has 25 voices, and was last updated by  MidWest 3 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 101 through 125 (of 131 total)
  • Author

Salmon Bay
    Participant

Have any of the stores opened in Ballard? Does anyone know where they are going to be located?

phoo
    Participant

I had heard there was going to be one where the old liquor store was up on 15th. I don’t know the status of it however.

Life is amazing
    Participant

I know this is a serious subject but between Cate and Phoo for me it was mostly about laughing. Sorry. I’m ashamed. Probably the lame amount of grey cells I’ve got left from my days of…..uh….um…..helping the government with their cannabis testing, yeah, that’s it. Alllll those tests for my country.

Shelley

Phoo, I heard there might be one at 15th and 80th in the old antique store, hadn’t heard about the one in the old liquor store, smack dab between the plasma center and the love zone. Nothing like cleaning up that stretch of 15th, I say. But it really doesn’t matter, there’s no product from official channels, so the stores would be empty anyway.

LIA, that’s gotta look good on the old resume. ;)

Shelley

From the business perspective, the entrepreneurs here have to rent stores, then they don’t get enough product to keep them open even for a day. Hire employees for a day only, because you won’t be able to pay unless more product arrives. WSLC fail.

Soon I expect to see Costco sponsoring an initiative to ….

The equivalent of BevMo? KushMo? GanjaMo, MoWeed?

SunsetHillGuy
    Participant

“MoWeed” +1 Shelly

Salmon Bay
    Participant

MariMo
    MJMo
    HighMo
    CaniMo
    ReeferMo
    StoneMo

Edog
    Participant

I went to that place at South Lake Union and was p*ssed when I learned you can’t buy weed at Mohai!

phoo
    Participant

Hahaha, MoWeed! They can stock with both the mass produced weed and the high end weed and charge even more than the surrounding stores! But hey, it’ll be a weed superstore so we’ll all feel privileged to have it in the neighborhood.

BTW, it looks like hippiefreak replied again when I first went down with bronchitis (just got antibiotics, should be better soon!). I can’t remember what he said, cause it’s not on the page. Something about teenagers trying it again. Aside from the obvious that they won’t all try it again, I’ll just say I overdid booze once when I was 10 and it was SEVEN years before I got anywhere near the stuff again. And did I succumb to peer pressure? Was I just hellbent on getting drunk again? No, my parents offered me about a shot’s worth of pear brandy. I kid you not, I spent at LEAST an hour nursing that drink. I guess they forgot about the seriousness of the previous incident before I did. Getting kids terrifyingly high while still a Bad Person thing to do, might be the best way to ensure they won’t get near the shit again, at least until their brains can process what they did wrong and come up with a valid reason they may want to try again which is likely to be after it is legal for them to.

LIA: If we want to make sure not to appeal to kids, let’s market them as “mother’s best” and “just what grandma needs!”

BuffaloHawk
    Participant

Damn… Drunk at 10

Is that Drew Barrymore behind that scree name?

Edog
    Participant

I don’t think its Drew, Hawk. She is sober these days, and judging by her most recent post, Phoo is not.

BuffaloHawk
    Participant

Ronald Reagan would be so proud of Drew

phoo
    Participant

Haha, Edog. Due to the bronchitis I’m stone sober, but once my immune system has a little to spare (and the school term is done), perhaps we should all go have a drink. ;)

BH: Yah, I found a bottle in the kitchen and it seemed like a thing to do. Like most amateur drinkers, I hadn’t half a clue of the power of the stuff. I was luckily really that the worst thing that happened is I got good and sick and confessed what I’d done to my parents. In a way I suppose it was good that it happened at such a young (and isolated) age so that when I was exposed to that stuff as a teenager, I knew better than to do more than sip slowly.

BuffaloHawk
    Participant

I still stay away from wine because it gives no fair warning.

VeganBiker
    Participant

Phoo – in regard to teenage drinking, I grew up in the UK, mid-Wales, and was able to legally go into a pub and drink at the age of 18, needless to say we experimented long before that. I don’t see that it made that much difference, except that at 18 we could go to a place where we could drink with our friends at a slow pace and be safe. Kids here start drinking at about the same age, 16-18, without parental consent and do it on the sly, drink a lot to get smashed and end up in trouble. So what is the answer? Whatever we do they will still drink.

VeganBiker
    Participant

BH – regarding wine, this is interesting reading:
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/quora/so-thats-why-trader-joes_b_5648730.html

Try not to puke if you are drinking a glass of Charles Shaw cab right now….. :)

phoo
    Participant

VB: It got pulled.
    “Editor’s Note
    This blog post contained un-sourced claims about Two Buck Chuck and its proprietor, Bronco Wines. It has been removed from the site in accordance with our blogger terms.”

Actually, there was a bar that wouldn’t card me when I was 18. I thought I was dressing “grown up,” but I can’t kid myself – I look younger than my age, never older.

BTW, I realized that the age may have been a little off… I think I may have been a late 16 when I got the pear brandy. Several months after being 17, I moved out on my own and had no trouble buying beer with a check at the grocery store I frequented. Course, it was quite awhile before I could afford that beer, so that may have been closer to 18. Still well below 21.

I think the biggest tool is education by the parents. “Don’t do it” isn’t sufficient. In fact, I think I got one of the better drug talks from my parents. I got a detailed account of which drugs were ok to a point, what their pitfalls were to watch out for and which drugs to stay the hell away from. Crack and crank weren’t listed, but I was able to extrapolate. I don’t think my brother got this talk. It’s hard to say whether he’d done things differently if he had.

Because let’s be honest, if you tell kids that pot is going to send them straight to hell and shooting heroin in 3 months, they’re going to figure all your advice is full of shit when they smoke pot and the world doesn’t break. And the world won’t break… until you get addicted to something. Driving a car is potentially deadly but most of us do it because we understand a) there’s a risk and b) you can minimize the risk if you know what to watch for and do it with appropriate caution. The most dangerous driver is the one who drives with no education first.

Edog
    Participant

I thought the guy’s claims about about rodents was sort of overblown. I mean, most processed food has a tolerance for that, and I doubt 2 buck chucks is worse than what is permitted. The article was clearly hit piece, maybe the guy is not wrong, but if you’ve ever smelled the rich organic splendor of a field that’s just been naturally fertilized, it would be pretty easy to write a blog post that would put the greenest vegan off vegetables for life! So I read it with a grain of salt.

phoo
    Participant

Edog, you brought back memories of the Honeybucket aka “stink machine.” When that thing cruised through the fields, my brother and I would run into the house and slam all the windows shut so fast, we were probably just a blur. I could hardly breathe with the aroma that thing put out.

I’m not sure why the article didn’t work for me, but chuck isn’t exactly a tender cut. After exposing it to the length of time it needs to be tender in a crockpot, most everything is gonna be dead. And crockpots really aren’t that low of heat these days. One of the two that I have hits 212 on low and is 140 on warm. It made a delicious Tom Kha pulled pork the other day though!

Shelley

Giving away thc laced chocolate at a county fair. Happened in Denver.

http://www.seattlepi.com/news/medical/article/County-Fair-goers-We-were-fed-pot-laced-chocolate-5674780.php

In the lawsuit filed Thursday in state court, Jordan Coombs says he ate a free sample of chocolate after a LivWell employee told him it did not contain THC. But soon after eating the candy, Coombs said he felt strange and started vomiting uncontrollably in his car. Doctors at a hospital emergency room told him he had overdosed on the drug, according to the suit, which says the candy bar should have been properly labeled as a marijuana-infused product.

It just seems so lame to mix pot into something else.

phoo
    Participant

Um, there may have been something in the candy indeed. But you really can’t OD on pot and it doesn’t make your throw up.

However, it’s never cool to give anybody mystery ingredients. It doesn’t even matter whether it’s a drug – if someone asks if there is an ingredient and is told no, that is incredibly wrong.

MidWest
    Participant

Those candies were poisoned. Cannabis, pot, as noted, you cannot overdose on. No such thing as toxicity to cannabis. Aspirin is WAY more toxic, for example.

Also, marijuana is one of the most powerful anti-emetic drugs out there (anti-nausea); this is why they give it to puking cancer patients going through chemo. Seems strange the guy started puking uncontrollably-has anyone ever heard of that before with pot brownies or the equivalent? Were that the case, we’d be hearing a LOT about it by now in WA and CO, let alone the whole medical field. Usually people just sleep it off and feel fuzzy afterwards.

Here’s what the DEA published a while back, but not widely circulated. The entire 69 page report is full of medical data going back a few years, with some startling conclusions by the administrative law judge reviewing the evidence.

http://www.druglibrary.org/olsen/medical/young/young.html

(one has to click on the links on the left to read the report)

Richy
    Participant

from the NIH
    http://drugfactsweek.drugabuse.gov/chat/chatfaqs_topics/marijuana.php

Marijuana
    Can someone overdose on marijuana?
    If you mean can they overdose and die from marijuana–the answer is no, its not very likely. But they can experience extreme anxiety (panic attacks) or psychotic reactions (where they lose touch with reality and may become paranoid). And people can and do injure themselves because of marijuana’s effects on judgment, perception, and coordination. For example, marijuana affect the skills you need to drive (e.g., concentration, reaction time) so people can injure themselves and others if they drive while under the influence.

Here is a report from the NIH

http://www.drugabuse.gov/sites/default/files/mjrrs_2.pdf

phoo
    Participant

MidWest: Very correct. I do know someone who made really powerful THC candies and gave one to a knowing person, but the candy was so strong the person thought there was a powerful hallucinogen in it. People forget that marijuana is a hallucinogen. Yeah, the person probably had a rather bad trip, but no puking, etc.

But wouldn’t it be cool (er, sort of) if I poisoned real or claimed pot edibles so that everyone could freak about the HORRIBLE DANGERS OF EDIBLES? (That is not a poke at anyone here btw, just the population at large that scare easily, but not over what they should be scared of). Seriously, if done right it could be a nice piece of social engineering. Also a very nasty sociopathic person to execute it.

I’ve also gotta question if the doc really said that and WTF school he came from cause that is just ignorant. People I can see not knowing, but if ER docs don’t know their drugs, they either need to be fired or given a real education in marijuana.

Shelley

MyBallard scooped by the Ballard News Tribune.

http://www.ballardnewstribune.com/2014/08/14/features/cost-cannabis-where-are-ballardites-buying-th

An investigative piece by their reporter:

The Ballard News-Tribune talked to tokers on Ballard Avenue during the evening hours over the weekend. Six users were found smoking a cannabis product. Most parties surveyed were under forty and said they buy from the same person they have always: their “guy.” Indeed, more times than not, surveyed smokers bought street weed. Surprisingly, the most popular method to get high was not with cannabis at all, but rather, oil or wax: a concentrate of cannabis made with a solvent. State stores cannot offer concentrates, so many of the users of the oil were medical patients or acquired their concentrate from the “black market.” Not a single person out of the six surveyed admitted to buying from the State store. The cost was a major factor.

Viewing 25 posts - 101 through 125 (of 131 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.