Beating a dead horse (Property Crime, North Precinct)

Home Forums Open forum Beating a dead horse (Property Crime, North Precinct)

Tagged: ,

This topic contains 45 replies, has 17 voices, and was last updated by  Cate 3 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 21 posts - 26 through 46 (of 46 total)
  • Author

Salmon Bay
    Participant

“Want more resources? Pay more taxes.”
    I want more resources to be paid for by those that consume those resources, those that break the law. I would love to see a system set up where 100% of the revenue collected from traffic tickets paid for more policemen. And I would love to see those fines heavily increased. Break the law, pay for its enforcement.

phoo
    Participant

Ya know, I just picked up on something. “Always call 911, even for minor things.” This may be a bit of what is broken about the system. I was always taught that 911 was for EMERGENCIES ONLY, but here we have the police telling folks to call for non-emergencies (aka minor things). That puts the operators not just under a heavier workload, but having to make decisions on which to pass on and which to brush off. Perhaps this is why they sound so burnt out.

collingswood
    Participant

Chris, As I pointed out, the quote is inane and stupid. It would be so no matter who said it, be it you or Ronald Reagan.

Further, as I also pointed out, you raised the question of the source of the quote as being unacceptable, not me. If you are worried that people might not approve of your comments, why make them?

You should absolutely pay closer attention to what is said in meetings and to what is written. Perhaps then you and I can have a meaningful exchange.

great idea
    Participant

I think ‘getting a dog’ is a good idea.

phoo, I think those that would go through the trouble of finding/ obtaining a dog would figure out how to take care of it.

this is much better than feeling insecure after a few well-publicized media reports and purchasing a firearm to protect yourself.

There was a time when part of the price of constructing new buildings was to also pay for the infrastructure the increase in population required, such as providing a certain number of parking spaces in the neighborhood, increased fire and police personnel and buildings if necessary. This was required by the city and permits were not issued unless and until the builders had those things in place. I know this was in place back in Ohio where I was marginally involved in this process. I have no idea if it is a requirement here. If it’s not, why not? How can there be this huge population increase without paying for an increase in the infrastructure? Where I came from, it was the city council who implemented and oversaw these type of things. There was a way around it by granting variances, but that was pretty rare. Anyone know about the procedures here? All this new Ballard construction and no additional resources are added? Amazon and Microsoft expansions into Seattle proper and no additional resources? Does Seattle only operate on gas and property tax hikes and voter approved levies?

Angeline
    Participant

I have to agree that crime prevention is NOT a good reason to get a dog. It’s a nice side benefit, so if you were thinking of getting a dog anyhow, good to know the police feel it is helpful. But really, you should only have a dog if you want one as a pet. The cost of owning a dog is not insignificant in either money or time. I love dogs, but really they are a pain in the ass and I wouldn’t put up with the shedding and the muddy paws, much less other doggie issues, if I thought of my dog as mostly an alarm system. Only love is gonna keep a roof over that mutt’s head.

Also, while a barking dog discourages petty crime, in the unlikely event you are targeted by a more serious criminal a normal household dog is easily dealt with and unlikely to be much help.

phoo
    Participant

Seattle Animal Shelter is full of animals who are there because they weren’t properly taken care of, the responsibility overshadowed the reason they got the dog, or the family just moved on to a different interest (sometimes a new child or they adopted a younger dog).

LO2FNR: That’s an interesting point and one that would make some sense. I have no idea, but it does make sense to build at least some of these costs into infrastructure. I’d love to know if it worked this way once, but stopped happening due to tax breaks.

Crownhiller
    Participant

Landson2 – I’m assuming you are referring to what’s commonly known as “impact fees” – something that Seattle in it’s questionable wisdom does not assess on developers. I personally think that is the ultimate answer to many of the issues plaguing this city (adequate levels of police, schools, decent roads, adequate mass transit). Most major cities use this to avoid exactly the kind of blowback Seattle is suffering from – massive development without the accompanying FUNDED services is a recipe for disaster.

In the meantime, having read several of the pieces covering the meeting both here and elsewhere, what I came away with was the need for all of us to become more involved in our immediate areas – be visible, pay attention, don’t do stupid things like leave valuables in plain sight, or doors unlocked, or ladders easily accessible. Those seem doable to me. Whether they are ultimately as effective as fully funded police is another story, but in the meantime, I’m willing to do my tiny part.

Richy
    Participant

SPD, is now saying that request for public access documents are overwhelming them and might cut into the ability to respond to call or patrols.

Maybe it is time to have King county sheriff take over Seattle law enforcement and get rid of SPD then we would have a sheriff that is responsible to the citizens rather then to a mayor and city councils. Cities in other states that have done that say crime dropped significantly and costs went down.

Life is amazing
    Participant

I hate that dead horse saying

VeganBiker
    Participant

LIA – I am following you around the forum! I hate that saying too. Made me think about a time I was driving in the Yucatan and passed a dead horse off the side of the road that had swelled up because of the heat to a balloon and I remember thinking “why was it there? why did “they” not remove it” Different country and different times..

great idea
    Participant

did you stop and beat it, VeganBiker?

talk about an exercise it futility…

VeganBiker
    Participant

gi – no! we were actually a little freaked out by it, it is not everyday one sees a dead horse along side the road and it was a bit surreal, I didn’t even stop to take a photo!
    Yep I believe that is what it means, totally futile. I love this: “a waste of time as the outcome is already decided”.

Angeline
    Participant

If the dead horse is in the bloated stage, beating it is not only futile but likely to result in an explosion. Hope it is a long stick.

I always thought the saying implied that beating is what did the horse in, in the first place. So yeah, it’s pretty unpleasant all around. I guess the olden days were unpleasant. I was with some rough-and-tumble middle school aged boys the other day in a caroling group. Most of the boys had either never heard or never paid attention to the lyrics of Up on the Housetop. They were aghast. It goes: Next comes the stocking of little Will,/ Oh just see what a glorious fill / Here is a hammer and lots of tacks, / Also a ball / and a whip that cracks. And they said “a whip!?? That’s terrible”

Chris
    Participant

The point here was not really to discuss horrible things you can do to genus Equus after they have expired. All I was trying to do was express my frustration with the entire property crime issue and the difficulty I perceive in getting elected representatives to pay attention to it, as well as how SPD resources have been deployed elsewhere when there is a documented problem in the North precinct.

Angeline
    Participant

Well, our little side conversation has kept your main point near the top of the discussion board. That’s something. I actually think property crime doesn’t count as a dead horse at all. You have to keep beating that drum or people just get complacent and say “well, that’s the way it has always been.”

JM98107
    Participant

Property crime hurts every community. Did you see the story about package thefts in the Mill Creek suburb? A homeowner put out a decoy box and then captured the thief in the act.

Not so fast: Neighborhood baits package thief, snaps pictures of crook

JM98107
    Participant

The police are busy. A couple days ago, I found full wallet in the middle of the street and called the SPD non-emergency number. It took more than 45 minutes to get through. Later, a patrol car came by our house and picked it up. Those protesters are using up too much of our resources.

Shelley

Amazing how the SPD has resources to address property crime in other areas of the city. I note that a call was made to 911 and an officer dispatched for a property crime in time to bust the little creeps.

Cops Chase Down Package-Stealing Teens In Mt. Baker

The homeowner told police one of the teens knocked on the door of his home, located in the 2800 block of 32nd Avenue South. The homeowner called 911 after he peeked out his windows to see one boy at the door, while the other nervously paced the sidewalk.

Arriving officers saw two boys, ages 15 and 16, running down a nearby street and detained them. One of the boys confessed he took a package from the front step, opened it in the back yard and stole a charger inside. Officers found the charger, still in its packaging, in his jacket pocket.

In August, one of my neighbors reported a live car prowl, and the dispatcher told her there were no officers to dispatch. She later talked to someone at the North Precinct and pretty much got a brush off for the non-response, and kind of a glib “that’s what insurance is for”

phoo
    Participant

“2800 block of 32nd Avenue SOUTH” (emphasis mine) There’s your answer. It’s not only a different precinct, but one that likely has more police. Historically, it’s the very rich and very poor areas that gets the most police attention, though the attention the poor gets is often not a good thing. I also note that these are two up and coming on foot thieves rather than the pros that has one driving and the other picking.

I definitely like the idea of a bait box. Imagine if you had one or two of those per block, then all the other neighbors on that block were able to point security cameras towards the bait box location. Of course, this assumes the police will act on the information.

Cate
    Participant

Back to the tangent. I have always hated the phrase about beating dead horses because it seems to imply that beating a live horse is okay. And we return to property crimes.

Viewing 21 posts - 26 through 46 (of 46 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.