beeping/screeching sound all day & night today

Home Forums Open forum beeping/screeching sound all day & night today

This topic contains 27 replies, has 14 voices, and was last updated by  Pete 7 months ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 28 total)
  • Author

bryan
    Participant

I can hear what sounds like a large vehicle in reverse (a high-pitched beep-beep-beep) constantly, without interruption since I woke up at about 9am. I can hear it from NW 63rd & 15th NW & it’s driving me nuts. Anyone know where it’s coming from? It sounds like it’s a bit south & possibly west of here.

phoo
    Participant

I don’t think it is west, or at least, not very west of your location, though it could be south.

great idea
    Participant

see this thread:

Interesting article about the low frequency "hum"

then get yourself some earplugs.

Kate
    Participant

I have heard that sound when I driving by the new Mark24 apartments on Market between 24th and 28th. It’s not a hum. It sounds exactly like a vehicle (forklift?) backing up and I was thinking that it must drive the neighbors crazy to listen to that. I’m surprised it would carry that far, but maybe next time you hear it you should come over and see it that is the origin.

bryan
    Participant

It just stopped finally!

bryan
    Participant

Kate I will cruise by there if it happens again. Perhaps it is a construction site a little closer to me making that sound too, as it did kind of sound like two sets of beeps/screeches that were a little off from each other. So obnoxious.

great idea
    Participant

honestly bryan, what do you hope to achieve here?

there have been a few threads recently regarding ‘unseemly’ noise, but most are likely perfectly legal normal sounds for a growing city.

are you going to tell the ‘obnoxious’ forklift operator to knock if off so you can relax?

maybe he will come to your cubicle someday and tell you you’re typing too loud.

Mondoman
    Participant

gi, don’t knock it.

A few years ago when Urness house was being built, they were doing a lot of 7AM backing up of their vehicles, to the point where I called the City’s development department and talked to their noise inspector. He was nice enough to have an informal chat with the construction site foreman and they made a successful effort to reduce their backing up after that.

More recently, I’ve learned that there’s a new style of backup warning that whooshes (or something) and doesn’t carry long distances, but remains clearly audible to anyone behind the vehicle.

phoo
    Participant

Even if it’s not possible to get the noise to cease, there is value in simply knowing what it is and where it’s coming from.

bryan
    Participant

The screech only stopped temporarily last night. This morning it is still going strong. I don’t think it’s a forklift operator unless they go for 12 to 24 for hours straight, in reverse. If I can locate it, it would be nice to know where it is coming from. But I will also go and try to contact someone about it. I don’t think an around-the-clock screech is normal, and it just started yesterday. So maybe something got left on over the weekend or something. It’s not a familiar city noise like traffic or a car alarm etc. And I’m sure it’s annoying many more people than me.

phoo
    Participant

Could it be a building alarm?

Avocado Head
    Participant

Once had a neighbor’s house undergoing a massive renovation. The guys were using some kind of powered lift all day, every day and it made that “backing up beeping” noise constantly when in use. I was working from home and the 8 hours a day BEEP BEEP BEEP was maddening!

I just endured, although I had fantasies of heading over there with a hammer in the middle of the night to “adjust” the beeper.

-Avo

gnoman
    Participant

Might it be something down at the waterfront? The boat yards can operate 24 hours a day doing all kinds of grinding scraping welding and cutting. And I’ve heard there is no noise ordinance that applies to them. It’s hard to pinpoint where noise originates when walking around with sonic reflections and shadowing, but persistence usually finds it.

Hope you find it.

bryan
    Participant

It went off at about 1pm today, & is still off- woohoo! Thanks for engaging w me about it folks, i might be back if it comes back again. And I will contact the city too if it starts again, as someone mentioned earlier- thanks for the idea.

phoo
    Participant

bryan, if it comes back, post when it happens. Maybe we’ll all go outside and track it down. ;)

great idea
    Participant

if it’s going off right now, I would track down the source.

that way when you hear it at 4am, you can just call it in.

honestly I complain more about ‘city’ noise in my household than I’d care to elaborate, but I find that finding the source usually only satisfies a curiosity. do let us know;)

phoo
    Participant

Did the beeping start up again? Because this time, I hear it. It’s 8:23pm. It’s very faint sounding, but I am NW of your location. It’s a series of three longish beeps that cycles repeatedly, like a UPS alarm, but the pause is much shorter. If you can hear it with your windows shut (I only hear it with windows open and listening carefully), I can see why it might drive you daffy.

wally
    Participant

Given that this is occurring so frequently, it seems unlikely that it is a backup alarm. However, if it is a backup alarm, it may be exempt from the noise limits, but only if it does not operate continuously for more than 30 minutes.

Noise from boat yards is not exempt. They can operate 24-hours a day, but they need to meet the City’s noise limits.

And as Mondoman indicated, there is a newer kind of backup alarm available called a “broadband” alarm. It kind of sounds like a squawking bird. I’m sure you’ve heard them from one of the many construction sites in Ballard. It is still audible close up, but because it’s not emitting a pure tone, the noise is not as audible at a distance. The City is pushing these, where possible, but they are not generally required.

calliope
    Participant

i was down on market and 24th on Friday afternoon putting up a yardsale sign and the mark24’s fire alarm was going off, lights on the outside of the building were flashing, and the annoying screeching/beeping. my friend that was with me said her friend in a neighboring building says it’s been incessant…making it impossible to work from home, having to close windows just to be able to think. it drove me crazy and i only listened to it for 5 minutes.

bryan
    Participant

thanks for the continued feedback!
    yes it is still off, at least from my location. Maybe it was that Mark 24 malfunction? It also kind of reminded me of those sound signals from a crosswalk for the sight-impaired, maybe the signal malfunctioned and would not turn off for hours or days straight?
    But I am very thankful that it has stopped, will definitely keep you all posted if it comes back. Thanks again for the help and input.
    p.s. I did call the non-emergency police at one point, and they were very respectful and helpful. I got the impression I might not have been the only person that called about it, though they did not say that directly.

gracie
    Participant

How annoying. I am on vacation. Rented house at Langley and only sounds I hear are occasional birds. Hard to think. About city sounds like you’ve had to endure. Will also miss the deer and bunnies in the yard. Pickles with me and funny watching her reaction to bunnies.Such a different lifestyle. Hope that screeching &beeping stop for good.

RedPanda
    Participant

My sister lives in this neighborhood and apparently it was an alarm in somebody’s rented townhouse that went off, and tenants were not home for a few days. They and their neighbors were able to get close enough that they were fairly certain it was inside a house.

SmartsyArtsy
    Participant

eeek, now I hear it. I also realize that I heard it on Saturday morning and thought it was the trash collection vehicles very early. It just stopped.

and there it is again!

gnoman
    Participant

The pure, unadulterated joy of nuisance alarms. Boy cried wolf syndrome cheapens the goodwill of neighbors to look out. Too bad the city doesn’t have a false alarm ordinance with real teeth ($100 for first and second complaint, $1000 for third, $10,000 for fourth, and for the fifth, send the Fire Department out for burning building entry practice).

SmartsyArtsy
    Participant

gnomon: I agree.

Police just told me that they sent someone out at 12:45 and found a company “testing” a building alarm at 24 & 58 St. Testing would be completed soon.

Possibly the same malfunctioning alarm that was going off all weekend?

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 28 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.