big fire at 39th near Leary

Home Forums Open forum big fire at 39th near Leary

This topic contains 7 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Cate 3 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Angeline
    Participant

Looks like it is an apartment building about a block uphill from Leary on 39th. Many, many units responding including several medics, 16 engines, ladder trucks. Heavy smoke. Hoping all inside got out OK…

SunsetHillGuy
    Participant

gracie
    Participant

What a horrific way to die. So sad.

phoo
    Participant

Horrible.

The first thing I wonder is were the smoke alarms working? The great outcome we had in this building was because the other residents heard the smoke alarm. Also, no one was home which helped the situation in regards to injuries, but perhaps the fire could have been caught sooner if someone was home. OTOH, if something explodes into flames (a heat source near an oxygen bottle maybe?), that greatly accelerates the process.

Angeline
    Participant

From what the outside of that building looks like, I’d be a little surprised if there were any working smoke detectors. It’s a wreck; so dilapidated you wonder that it is allowed to be rented out. Maybe it is a little nicer on the inside? Someone tries every year to turn the weeds and gravel of the parking strip into a flower garden. :(

Cate
    Participant

You live where you can afford; I wonder where the (surviving) residents will go? It makes me sad that someone tried to make a garden every year.

Angeline
    Participant

It’s a remnant of the old Fremont, for sure. 20ish years ago there were lots of these shabby apartments. Where Quazis is now was a cluster of very raggedy motel-like apartments. One year a bunch of Mexican guys living there grew a garden with amazing corn, and the tallest sunflowers I’ve ever seen in my life.

Not too many places left around that don’t cost the moon to live in, and are home to people who can’t afford more. OTOH, if you look at the SPD incident response map, there is alot of crime clustered around that building

Cate
    Participant

One of the stories described the building as containing sleeping rooms with shared common areas. Similar, it sounds like, to what apodmenys will be like twenty years after the initial construction. So sad that an eighty year old man was living there and unable to get out. I worry this might be the straw that forces the residents into homelessness.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.