CenturyLink Gig Service in Ballard

Home Forums Open forum CenturyLink Gig Service in Ballard

Tagged: 

This topic contains 53 replies, has 20 voices, and was last updated by  Angeline 3 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 54 total)
  • Author

Tandm
    Participant

Thought I would post an update. Have You Seen These Guys on your street:

Ballard FTTP

If so, you’ll be able to Get a Gig very soon. Right now fiber is being strung all over Ballard. I counted at least 6 crews this past weekend stringing the fiber. These pictures were at 15th and 73rd.

If you live between NW 90th-NW 97th, and 3rd-7th there is a good chance you can get it now. New addresses will be turning up everyday.

As always, email me if you have any questions at tstille@centurylink.com

Thanks.

Curtis
    Participant

I’m at 65th and 8th and they’re working their way west on 65th right now!

Tandm
    Participant

Awesome!! We should have a great footprint of fast internet over Ballard by the end of the month.

Chris
    Participant

I’m at 58th and 9th. Given your progress report, it sounds like the main thrust is east of 8th. Do you know the projected schedule for the west side of 8th NW?

Tandm
    Participant

@Chris I don’t know the solid schedule, but I’d guess you would see something in that area this month.

VeganBiker
    Participant

Interestingly since there has been all this action with Centurylink in Ballard my Comcast connection has been rock solid and the speed has jumped from just under 50 Mbps to just under 60 Mbps D/L. Very interesting.

MayorOfBallard
    Participant

Tandm – Think we will be in their “path of speed” on 73rd and Earl?

Ironically we have been experiencing really slow speeds in the first time in years with Qwest now CenturyLink. Our DSL has been fine for our needs over the years but recently we can’t even stream a low quality video with major buffering and pause breaks. Very frustrating…so I decided over the weekend to check our speeds out via Speedtest.net and to my surprise our speeds were .42mb download and .54mb upload with a 210ms ping. I also just checked again now as I type this and get almost identical results. Anyway so disappointing…not sure if a bunch of people on my block all got the service recently or what but it doesn’t seem to be my equipment. Anyone else experiencing a major slow down?

I almost spit out my drink when I hear 60mbps…let alone 1 gig.

Tandm
    Participant

@Mayor. It sounds like there is a issue there. Let’s get that fixed. Shoot me an email and give me your info. The new fiber should in no way impact any existing service.

And yes, 73rd and Earl should get it.

tstille@centurylink.com

Richy
    Participant

VB, mine also increased :

When I worked at Comcast, the goal was to always be the fastest in the area

Paul Forgey
    Participant

Looking forward to being able to have 1G near NW 80 + 22 NW!

@mayorofballard: from what I know, we’re on the high end of the loop distance our in this area. When my CenturyLink DSL was installed a few years ago, the tech recommended 4M service even though we qualified for 6M, as it would be highly unlikely we’d actually see much above 4. I’m barely able to sustain 4.

Oly
    Participant

Hey Tandm. what does it cost? what is the monthly cost after the teaser rates?

Chris
    Participant

@tandm – It has been about a month since the last update. Any news or updates?

Gnomie
    Participant

I had a Clink rep come to my door today to tell me they updated the network in my hood. When I asked about the updated internet service they were all about selling direct tv.
    I asked what he could do for me and it was cheaper than Comcast by $10 for the first year but to find out what the increase would be after that I needed to give them my name. That never happened and he soon became disinterested in trying to sell me whatever it was he was trying to sell. I think he was paid by how many names he was able to collect.
    No pamplets or any handouts or terms because I had already recycled those that came in the mail. He did draw a nice graphic that showed my direct connection to thier internet server (although slower).
    I work from home and need reliability, I don’t like comcast but smoke and mirrors does not constitute a necessary change. Comcast is not on my favorites list but they are at least upfront with the increase after the honeymoon.
    He also didn’t answer my question about how long I would be on hold when I had to call for tech support.
    If this guy (Denzel) was all about internet stability, lower cost, customer service and transparency then I’m on board but so far there is no love.

phoo
    Participant

Gnommie, Clink has always been upfront with me about the honeymoon – on the phone. However, I did get Clink reps that would outright lie to me. No doubt they are either paid or entered into a drawing to win something by upselling you.

VeganBiker
    Participant

Well to add to this thread I will relate an odd thing that happened for me today, we had a brief moment of internet outage in our neighborhood and our modem was in a continual re-boot mode. I called Comcast by dialing 1-800-COMCAST (1-800-266-2278) however I made a mistake and dialed 1-800-266-2277. The message that answers is a push to sell “cable customers” Direct TV! I am sure that Direct TV is a part of the Clink package.. so it is very interesting that that one digit error got me a message that sounded like Comcast but was not, it took me a second to check the number and realize that I was not dialing the right number but it appears a little bit sneaky to me.

Angeline
    Participant

Is this expansion ongoing? We’ve had some problems though a speed check right now says we’re getting 5.27 down, which is better than we are paying for. Some of the connection issues may be due to needing a new modem. Is there any point in buying one that can handle gigabit? I wish I knew if/when it is coming to Fremont/Phinney and what the cost will eventually be.

MayorOfBallard
    Participant

I noticed the new brown “gig” boxes up in several areas in Ballard…one today I noticed was right by the playfield & playground next to Whitman Middle school, so it’s nice to see the expansion ongoing.

Angeline – If you get the new gig service you will most likely want a new wireless router to handle all that speed, otherwise your paying for that speed and wouldn’t be able to use it. There are plenty of good options out there/online or you could let them rent one too you. Personally I would buy my own!

I also heard the promotion price will be $80/month or so but I’m sure it’s a “prices will vary”… either way we will see if that holds true once it’s actually live and they start sending out pricing flyers.

Angeline
    Participant

sigh. It feels like the gigabit expansion started just NW of my house and is heading north and west from there. I’m glad to hear it is ongoing, but still wish there was some way for non-Ballard neighborhoods to find out what order they will be going in, since I doubt they want to make public the whole timeline.

Jimmy Rustler
    Participant

Hey Tandm,

I live near NW Market and 7th. Any idea if this will hit my area?

Chris
    Participant

Out of curiosity, have there been further updates on progress? I haven’t seen any, I also haven’t seen any info on what this service might cost.

Shelley

I know someone who lives near the cemetery on 12th and her address comes up as eligible. Mine, however (around 100th), is eligible for 3 mbps. :(

There was lots of activity stringing fiber on the poles on 12th and 13th maybe a month or so ago. That was north of Holman.

The button to check availability is on the bottom of the page here: https://www.centurylink.com/fiber/

MayorOfBallard
    Participant

Chris- I heard intro rate of $79/month and this may be correct as I know a friend in Austin, TX that gets it from Google for $69/month.

Shelly – I see crews and these brown boxes going up all around the loyal heights area but to my untrained eyes the boxes are up and there is a bunch of coiled cable by them but they don’t seem to be active yet.

Shelley

OK, seems like several people asked what the price is.

My friend is over for dinner tonight, so we punched it in and here are the prices at the 3-yr price guarantee level.

1000 mbps 79.95 when bundled with 45.00 home phone unlimited, total $124.95
     100 mbps 49.95 when bundled with 45.00 home phone unlimited, total  $94.95
      40 mbps 29.95 when bundled with 45.00 home phone unlimited, total  $74.95
      20 mbps 24.95 when bundled with 45.00 home phone unlimited, total  $69.95
      12 mbps 19.95 when bundled with 45.00 home phone unlimited, total  $64.95

Don’t see how to do it without the expensive home phone unlimited thing. She doesn’t have a land line and sees no need to get one. These are the prices if you have the 35.00 land line. You would add $35 to these prices.

1000 mbps  $149.95
     100 mbps   $90.00
      40 mbps   $70.00
      20 mbps   $60.00
      12 mbps   $50.00

Angeline
    Participant

I’m excited! A near neighbor had some internet issues and had Clink out to check. The tech told him our Frelard area is on the schedule over the next few months. Those prices don’t look too out of line for what we are paying now for 3mbps plus home phone.

teigyr
    Participant

When we went to Centurylink (and Tandm was REALLY helpful, we have a super challenging old house with some quirks), everyone was upfront about pricing. We ended up going with locked in pricing vs. super cheap pricing initially. Our bill is surprisingly small, esp considering our Comcast one kept growing — when we left it was in upwards of $100. I don’t want to be that person always calling to threaten to leave so it’ll be lowered so I never did that.

Our modem is downstairs. I can stream TV/movies upstairs to my tablet. We can run things (ie Roku, wireless, tablet) concurrently with no problems.

Tech support on the phone is interesting so I suggest avoiding them if you can :) You will want to bang your head on the wall. Go with contacting your rep or seeing people in person, is much more pleasant.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 54 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.