City Council Hearing Microhousing on Monday

Home Forums Open forum City Council Hearing Microhousing on Monday

This topic contains 3 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Little Lou Lou 4 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Cate
    Participant

Know a lot of us have strong feelings about Apodments/Microhousing. Seattle City Council is having a public hearing Monday night at 5:30 in the Council Chambers. Get there early to sign up to speak. http://www.king5.com/news/cities/seattle/Seattle-City-Council-to-take-commens-on-micro-housing-259739561.html

great idea
    Participant

the second last paragraph of that article sums it up:
    “Rent can start around $600 a month, and city leaders tell me the units are filling up fast, showing the need for affordable housing.”

I honestly can’t think of a worst time for a public meeting. who has time to ‘get there early’ for a 5:30 pm Monday discussion? not so easy for working parents (let alone the working poor who actively seek out this form of housing).

Mondoman
    Participant

Here’s a link to the City Council’s PLUS Committee that’s handling the issue:
    http://www.seattle.gov/council/committees/LandUse/default.htm

Here are the members: (links on the above web page)
    Chair: Mike O’Brien
    Vice-Chair: Tim Burgess
    Member: Nick Licata
    Alternate: Sally J. Clark

Even if you can’t make it to tonight’s meeting, try to contact at least two of the committee members with your opinions. In my personal opinion, the two biggest current problems with these are that no parking is required for what’s often a 50- or 60- bedroom building, and that they skate under design review by limiting the number of kitchens (since that’s what counts for deciding if a building is “big enough” for design review).

Little Lou Lou
    Participant

Who shares a kitchen with strangers? are these really halfway homes or welfare housing units?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.