Costco's Kirkland brand of Spirits?

Home Forums Open forum Costco's Kirkland brand of Spirits?

This topic contains 35 replies, has 15 voices, and was last updated by  LY 4 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 36 total)
  • Author

Edog
    Participant

Has anyone here tried Costco’s Kirkland brand of spirits? I’ve had their beer and wine and enjoyed it and wondered about their booze. I’m willing to give it a try but don’t want to buy such a large bottle (1.75 liters) They have scotch in smaller bottles but I did not want to part with 75 dollars today.

Can anyone with experience speak to this?

pennygirl
    Participant

Costco brand beer and wine? You poor sorry twit. Go ahead and try the spirits.

great idea
    Participant

what she said. especially the twit part.

Edog
    Participant

But I don’t really need such a large bottle of booze. Excluding scotch, the only size I could see was 1.75 liters. Actually that’s why I don’t buy much at costco.

great idea
    Participant

I bet their booze is not bad, although I don’t drink enough to be really particular.

what I was rolling my eyes at (as was pg I think) was the beer/wine part.
    there’s so many great local selections that it’s hard to see past that.

Cate
    Participant

Never tried Costco’s spirits but from a cost perspective I think you would do just as well at Bevmo. (I needed several large bottles of vodka for a recipe and Bevmo had the best prices).

Pdaddymom
    Participant

Cate – I just have to ask, what on earth were you making that required several large bottles of vodka? Made me giggle…

Rudy
    Participant

The Bourbon is just OK. The vodka is good for mixing. I don’t think you can beat the price and the expectations shouldn’t be set very high. Give it a shot.

Also I’ve found Bevmo to be more expensive than other places like Total Wine.

Brigitte
    Participant

Costco’s spirits, like their beer and wine, are relabeled bottles of brand name alcohols. They have a kirkland signature Macallan for goodness sake. Some of them seem to be “young” alcohols, like I think the Macallan is an 8 or 10 year, and their bourbon is a 3 year version of someone’s usually-5. Their beers are brewed in California and apparently you can go to the brewpub, though I imagine not all their beers are made on that site. Their wines, well I don’t care about wine so I don’t know who makes them, but the bottles say.

Edog, I haven’t tried any of them personally but we’re planning on buying a bunch for our wedding so I’m really going to have to try them soon.

Edog
    Participant

The bourbon I saw today was a 7 year, the scotch 12 and 15. It’s not that I need booze or am concerned about price. I was simply curious. Some things costco does well, and some things not so well. We went today mainly because we were trying to justify renewing. I kind of regret we did. I don’t like buying in bulk and love walking to do most of my shopping.

Cate
    Participant

Pdaddymom – Homemade Limoncello (w/ organic Meyer lemons) and Aranocello with organic blood oranges. I am going to sit on my deck all summer and sip it ice cold. I actually ended up using Sun Liquors vodka since it was the only organic vodka I could find. This stuff had better come out good cause it’s costing a fortune. (Mostly it is for gifts)

SmartsyArtsy
    Participant

I had the same reaction to your prior post, Cate, as PDaddymom did. I’d love to see what you can weave materials chugging a bottle!!

Cate
    Participant

I can barely see straight enough to warp my loom sober, I’d never be able to do it with alcohol in me.

MidWest
    Participant

The tequila is meh. Their vodka definitely is better quality than the teh-kill-ya.

Avocado Head
    Participant

I liked the bourbon quite a bit. But I’m easy like that, and not a “connoisseur”. I remember reading a post by someone who was doing some investigating and his theory based on distiller etc is that it was it was re-labeled Knob Creek. (And the vodka is supposedly Grey Goose)

-Avocado

pennygirl
    Participant

Why do they re-label it, rather than selling it under the original name?

Shelley

The bourbon at Costco is 103 proof, and the distiller is Kentucky Springs. Not that widely known as a distiller. I’m not much of an expert, but I vastly prefer Maker’s Mark.

I suspect that distillers might reserve their best batches to go out under their own label.

calliope
    Participant

@Cate- i was at costco yesterday and they had large bags of organic meyer lemons…i almost bought some, but couldn’t think what i’d do with them all…can you share your limoncello recipe? maybe i’ll go back and get some if i still have time to let it sit before summer.

i too have heard that the kirkland vodka is grey goose, i like it for cocktails.

Edog
    Participant

Why do they re-label it, rather than selling it under the original name?

I think so they can offer a name brand product and promote it as an exclusive item for members. (Kind of like Trader Joes.) Sometimes it’s just fun to know what the arrangement is, and sometimes it’s nice to know so you can see if its actually a good value, but, for me at least, sometimes its nice to buy weird stuff because it keeps the grind fresh.

Shelley

Here’s the scoop on the Kirkland Bourbon:

http://insiderlouisville.com/news/2013/12/29/costcos-private-label-bourbon-wait-say-costco/

“There are 10 licensed distillers in all of Kentucky,” says Jason Brauner, owner of Bourbons Bistro on Frankfort Avenue. “And these 10 distillers produce bourbon for about 300 labels — even including direct to the Japanese market.”

I can confirm that it’s great flavoring for the ganache in dipped chocolates. And for that use, considerably cheaper than Maker’s Mark also available there.

Cate
    Participant

calliope: From Giada at Food Network. But age it over the peel for forty days not four. http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/giada-de-laurentiis/limoncello-recipe.html

Shelley: How much bourbon per lb of chocolate for the ganache?

Cate
    Participant

Oh Shelley – If you go could I give you money to pick up a bag of Meyer lemons for me? I’m out (as is my source) and I want some more but am not a Costco member. Even Whole Foods doesn’t stock organic Meyer lemons.

SmartsyArtsy
    Participant

Cate, I am going this week, possibly Thursday but def by Friday. I want to get some for curd, so I can pick them up for you

Avocado Head
    Participant

Oh Cate, another Local organic vodka option I remembered:

http://www.bainbridgedistillers.com

Haven’t tried it, but could be a good excuse to hop the ferry over some weekend day. (Probably expensive, which I have a hard time paying for vodka, especially for making liqueurs, haha…)

I want to try their gin!

Avo

SmartsyArtsy
    Participant

Private labeling is in every area of manufacturing, no different from “Nordstrom Brand” of garments or Kroger products. In many cases, it is a name brand in whole, or almost!

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 36 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.