Crown Hill Safeway Deli, redux

Home Forums Open forum Crown Hill Safeway Deli, redux

This topic contains 29 replies, has 13 voices, and was last updated by  oldguybc 4 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 30 total)
  • Author

Allison W
    Participant

Me: (standing at deli counter for several minutes not getting helped)

Him: (a voice from BEHIND me where you don’t normally expect the behind-the-counter person) Can I help you?

Me: Can I get a half-pound of the honey ham?

Him: Huh? What ham?

Me: the honey ham that’s on sale here in the front of the case

(ham is weighed and packaged without further incident)

Him: Anything else?

Me: Yup, a half-pound of the fontina

Him: What? (I swear I was enunciating)

Me: A half-pound of the fontina (I say ‘fontina’ very clearly)

Him: Where’s that?

Me: all the way to your right in the case (he’s behind the counter, in case you didn’t guess that part) in the back

Him: (throws whole pile of slices on, it’s quite a bit over) Want all that?

Me: Sure….

Him: (making price label, and it’s taking f o r e v e r) Can you do me a favor?

Me: Sure, what do you need?

Him: Can you spell that for me?

Me: F-O-N-T-I-N-A (that’s pretty phonetic, right?)

Him: ok thanks

(I get cheese home, which is obviously for a sandwich. Half of the fontina is shattered chunks that whoever sliced it thought would be….good on a sandwich?)

Last time I went to the CH Safeway deli they royally screwed up my sandwich. I haven’t been in at least six months, and it was a different guy. I think I’m going to try and never go to that deli counter again.

pennygirl
    Participant

Maybe you should try the Hillbilly QFC again :-)

great idea
    Participant

that does not sound like so horrible an experience.
    maybe the guy was hard of hearing?

anyway, you saw the slices getting thrown on the scale, so should’ve ascertained at that point that they were inappropriately processed for your needs.

this is why I don’t purchase any seafood at Fred Meyer (similar goofy tales).

also why I stick to pre-packed deli-items, especially the pastrami which rapper Hill-Q can’t help you with.

Allison W
    Participant

No, the cheese had already been sliced by a previous deli person.

HBQFC is never an option. I should have gone a couple miles out of my way to Central or Ballard Market . The main reason I was at Safeway was that I needed paper cups (traveling tomorrow) and I know Safeway has them.

Cate
    Participant

I must be missing something – I thought EVERYWHERE had paper cups.

Edog
    Participant

File this under first world problems and keep it under your hat the next time you see a UNICEF commercial.

Speaking of the deli counter at Ballard market, my wife won’t go there anymore because she claims they always stare at her rack. Its sad because I really liked their knockwurst. It’s funny how we always want what someone else has.

Cate
    Participant

Well since we live in the first world that is the kind of problems we have. First world. Doesn’t make them any less meaningful to us.

Jules
    Participant

Which brings up the following : “Is pastrami a controlled substance?” Seriously, I bought the last 1/4 lb at Safeway on Market. Is there some world-wide pastrami shortage?

Allison W
    Participant

Cate, you may be right. Consort and I occasionally need to-go cups for home. Typically a latte cup or maybe a container for something to eat. It’s when we’re traveling. Like tomorrow–off to the airport in the morning, not leaving a car, don’t want to lug the container back home. To-go, but from home, where shit tastes good.

I needed to-go coffee cups for me and my driver (who, coincidentally, works at Starbucks) so I can fire a couple of lattes in the morning with no plastic car cups rolling around in her vintage MR2. BM doesn’t have a lot of what I’d call “picnic equipment” so I went to Safeway, which DOES have a lot of that stuff, plus tons of processed food, which can also be handy when you’re flying. Turns out, I just got cups and some sandwich stuff, and next time, I’ll take my chances at BM or Central on the cups.

Shelley

I won’t shop Safeway after the stunt they pulled getting the gas station approved at that site.

Hillbilly QFC deli isn’t that great either — too much Boarshead branded oversalted, bland meats. Ballard Market / Central Market delis are way better selection (for instance 2 or three choices each for pastrami, corned beef, coppa, prosciutto, etc).

Ernie
    Participant

RE: To-go-cups. A good place to go for those is also Cash and Carry by Mars Hill church, you can the real deal, just like at the coffee shop, by the sleeve in all the various sizes with matching lids. Good place to meet all your red Solo cup needs as well.

And, since splitting hairs is what MB is all about, a Mister2 could be classified as a “Classic” if it is one of the older models (older than 20 years) but “Vintage” refers to pre-1930 models.:)

saffythepook
    Participant

I was about to slit my wrists over another inane AW thread when I saw Edog’s reply. Mentioning his wife’s rack and knockwurst in the same post, priceless. Young Frankenstein came immediately to mind. Thanks for the laugh, Edog.

Allison W
    Participant

Ernie, agreed abt cash and carry. If I was shopping for a party, that’s where I would go.

I think my pal’s Mister is an ’83.

Matthew
    Participant

With pending merger of Safeway and Albertsons, under performing locations will be torched. Think Ballard Safeway ( which should have been leveled years ago ) and Crown Hill.

Sympathies for most employees, but goodness, how can most Safeways stay open? I work in lower Queen Anne ( aka the Food Ghetto ) and the local Safeway is a good candidate for conversion to a 24 hour gym, or some alternative use. Food store? Not so much.

Mondoman
    Participant

Matthew, the Ballard Safeway is relatively new, having been built perhaps 10 years ago. Getting rid of both it and the Crown Hill location would just drive everyone to Fred Meyer, I would think. Those are also the only two nearby locations with Safeway gas stations.

great idea
    Participant

indeed mondo, I buy my gas at the crown hill Safeway for around a dollar per gallon discount.

I don’t know if it is ‘underperforming’ per se. it could certainly be improved.

it’s not like Albertsons is so wonderful.

in fact, I refused to shop there after those horrible commercials with Patricia Heaton.

Matthew
    Participant

Points well made. However, just because it was built 10 years ago doesn’t , in and of itself, make it any better of a retail “experience”.

Gas stations can exist without reliance upon crappy grocery stores in my experience.

Your points are understood and respected , with the caveat that there is the Ballard Market and 24th St. QFC, as well as Trader Joes. Cash and Carry is still alive and kicking as well.

Or, I suppose, the intrepid shopper could always try out the worlds worst 7/11 ( Shilshole Avenue and the bottom of 32nd…don’t forget to bring your scannable ID! )

Shelley

The CH Safeway is just filled with mostly crappy groceries. Almost as though they need the gas station to survive.

Maybe if they close those 2 Safeways, PCC might want to cash in on the void?

Matthew
    Participant

Or Whole Foods. Might as well go all in, and extract all possible paycheck dollars.

briarrose
    Participant

Ohhhhh the poor whining neo ballardites with nowhere acceptable to buy their groceries. My heart goes out to them. I honestly don’t know why so many live in this terribly underprivileged area.

Ernie
    Participant

BR wins this thread.

Allison W
    Participant

BR, I assume you are referring to me, and I assume that you have forgotten that I am in no way a “whining neo-Ballardite.” It must really suck to be you.

Edog
    Participant

Yeah BR Allison is old Ballard through and through. </snicker snicker>

Mondoman
    Participant

Matthew, the reason I mentioned Fred Meyer was that it’s the only other full-line supermarket around here with lower prices. Ballard Market and QFC are nice, and sometimes I shop at each, but they’re noticeably more expensive than Safeway or Fred Meyer (and don’t get me started on Whole Foods!).

I moved to Ballard a few years before the “new” Ballard Safeway was built, and can vouch for the fact that it’s a big improvement over the old one. However, Greenwood Safeway is definitely the best in the area.

Armand

great idea
    Participant

I go to Fred Meyer every now and again, but honestly the hours (7A-11P) are not really convenient for me. I prefer to shop in the wee hours.

I don’t think it would suck to be BR. her perspective is somewhat interesting and entertaining to say the least.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 30 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.