Dog Rant

Home Forums Open forum Dog Rant

This topic contains 76 replies, has 25 voices, and was last updated by  Anonymous 3 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 77 total)
  • Author

Shelley

I carry pepper spray as well. I did spray a dog once. Owner no where in sight. It was some kind of medium size boxer who wouldn’t let us by on the trail in Carkeek, and when we turned to go back, he charged from behind. If I knew where his owner was, it would have felt better to spray him/her even though highly illegal. The blast was very effective, but it was really hard to hear all the yelping even though it was in self-defense.

If you carry pepper spray, I really recommend taking a class. Like this one: http://www.strategicliving.org/pepper-spray.php

Anonymous

This thread is reminding me to dig out my pepper spray and start carrying it with me, for dogs and other reasons.

BuffaloHawk
    Participant

CR

To bad you weren’t there to pepper spray the package thief ;)

teigyr
    Participant

oh Shelley…poor dog! And stupid, stupid owner.

Anonymous

BH, indeed. :)

Shelley, that’s awful. You must have felt bad. The owner deserves to be pepper-sprayed. Grrrr.

teigyr
    Participant

CR relating to your earlier post about being an outdoor neighbor….I give you a story where this appears to be true.

http://abc7.com/news/ohio-police-searching-for-serial-pooper/555135/

Quercus
    Participant

As an alternative to pepper spray, you might consider citronella spray. I think it’s currently marketed under the name Spray Shield, used to be Direct Stop. It is just as effective on dogs as pepper spray, but doesn’t hurt them (or you, if the wind blows the wrong direction). I don’t think the scofflaw dog owners would realize it wasn’t pepper spray (same sort of container, etc) so it would still work as a deterrent in that respect.

teigyr
    Participant

If it doesn’t hurt them, how is it effective? I don’t WANT to hurt them but am wondering how it works then.

VeganBiker
    Participant

And you can also carry one of these:
    http://www.weapons-universe.com/expandable-batons.htm

I have one and used to carry it when I had my beloved pitbull (R.I.P Oscar) very often big dogs would rush at us barking madly and I had it at the ready but never had to use it.

great idea
    Participant

the concept of carrying a weapon to fend off a dog seems odd to me, but I’ve never been attacked by one.

I (don’t) like to think I would just kick an attacking dog if the situation ever arose, but who knows.

teigyr
    Participant

I just don’t want to be bitten and if I kicked the dog and the dog was large, couldn’t that be counterproductive? Seems to me the dog would want to bite me more.

Last night though, brilliant. Off-leash dog all over the place. A couple was walking on one side of a two lane trail, the dog was on the other side back and forth and running around. I asked them to control their dog as I was approaching. Blank stare. I asked them to please hold onto their dog as I go by. Blank stare. I ask them to please get between me and their dog as I go by. They move even further away from the dog. I said, finally, “fine”. I showed them the spray and said I was going by but please make sure the dog doesn’t follow me or get too close. They said if I used the spray on the dog, they would have me arrested for assault.

So they DID talk after all :) It works most of the time though. I seriously hope these people didn’t breed and it was all I could do to not say it out loud. Sometimes I can’t tell if people are stupid or if they simply don’t care or maybe it’s a combination of both.

PlantLover
    Participant

Self defense is not assault. If the dog had attacked you and they did not restrain it, that is assault. And go ahead and say it out loud. They are stupid jackasses.

GAM
    Participant

Sadly, I think it is that people simply don’t care about the other people around them anymore. Most aren’t aware of it, of course. These people’s ability to threaten you with arrest for assault is so divorced from the fact that their breaking the law is the catalyst of the situation speaks volumes.

great idea
    Participant

” Seems to me the dog would want to bite me more.”

not if you kick it hard enough, teigyr!

I guess it’s like using a taser on a bad guy who just keeps coming after you.
    interesting fact: the guy who invented the taser was a huge Tom Swift fan, and he named his weapon after him, “Thomas A. Swift Electric Rifle”

anyway, when I was growing up, I recall the mailman using the pepper spray on my parents’ dog once or twice. I think he actually did it through the screen door one time!

Shelley

Teigyr, people can be real b*st*rds. So sorry.

Anonymous

Teigyr, that story is disgusting! People can be absolute pigs. No, I take that back. It’s insulting to pigs. They can be subhumans.

As for that couple you encountered last night, inconsiderate morons. I can’t believe how clueless and shitty people can be. Argh.

GAM
    Participant

CR, you will be receiving a request for a formal apology from the sub-humans anti-defamation league.

And, yes, Teigyr, that sucks. Well played, though!

VeganBiker
    Participant

Well now, this doesn’t happen to me very often but today I was riding (old guy – slowly) up 19 NW by Salmon Bay School and there is an older woman with older dog on long retractable leash.. dog sees me and charges into the road woofing at me! Yikes! My heart was thumping. No apology from owner, just a slight chastising of the dog. So I had to say “that is dangerous”!
    I amazed myself! I must be getting more relaxed in my aging because normally I would have gone off on her but no, I stayed cool and calm and just rode on forgetting the whole thing until now.
    I am sure the fact that I was on the way to the dentist for a cleaning took my mind off it! :)

BuffaloHawk
    Participant

They say things happen in threes and it looks like GAM, teigyr & VB where the unlucky recipients of a dog encounter this week. Thanks for taking the heat off the rest of us.

Edog
    Participant

…normally I would have gone off…

Vegan I feel the same way about these interactions these days too; I don’t think its old age. The area is so much more urban there is no point in saying anything at all. Its like a total collapse of what was acceptable and a re-calibration of what decency is.

I’ve seen 3 dogs off leash on sidewalks along 28th between 58th and 57th this week alone, and in the previous 8 years, I don’t think I’d seen that many in the same area.

And the at ball fields behind the community center, young children play at their own risk unless its an organized event, and even thats not a guarantee you won’t encounter the fool with his unleashed dog and ball.

VeganBiker
    Participant

BH – Ha ha.. I am more than happy to do my part. :)

VeganBiker
    Participant

Edog – Glad to know you are feeling similar about this new way of life.
    It is sort of funny that there are more people and more dogs and I am getting more relaxed about it all!
    Maybe this is a temporary phase for me.. :)

Pixl Pete
    Participant

I saw someone posted a link to “baton”. A much more discrete option is the…

VIPERTEK VTS-881

Very pocket-able and has a super bright LED light too. I don’t advocate shocking a doc unless it is truly necessary. I have had some scary encounters with idiot dog owners at the GG dog park who think dog park means their aggressive dog can run completely amok.

After the first $500 vet bill (chewed up lip got infected), I got one of these. You don’t actually have to apply it, the sound it makes is shocking enough to break up 99% of dog fights without anybody getting hurt.

Best $13 I ever spent. And if the asshat dog owner gets too far into your face, it works equally well in that circumstance. (consider legal ramifications before deployment on asshat)

VeganBiker
    Participant

Pixl Pete – I can tell you that that little shocker would NEVER stop a pit bull that got into a fight. I know because my last dog was a rescued pit bull and when he had hold of something, raccoon (3AM on a sleepy morning pee outing), GG dog park small fluffy attack dog, he would not let go regardless of what you would do. I did get him to let go of the raccoon by hosing him with a jet stream full blast in the face but the little dog I had to force his mouth open by pressing inside his mouth at the back of the jaw bone with a lot of force. I have heard that you can hit a pit bull over the head with a 2X4 and they still will not let go.

Cheese
    Participant

VB and Edog – I have had that same thought about whether it is just me or have things really changed. I’ve been running for almost 40 years (and boy am I tired…badum dum) and I don’t remember generally loose dogs at all until about 10 years ago – only one time in high school on a gravel road by a farm did I get chased. Now, my first bite happened just about the general time I started noticing – so *maybe* they were there and I didn’t notice them because my butt hadn’t got chomped yet?

Speaking of which – on my long run two weeks ago I had made it to my home area, but I still had a few minutes left for my goal. So I went for a lap around the Loyal Heights playing field. There was a ball game warming up and there were spectators on the east field. I noticed there was a leashed yippy dog tied to a lawn chair and thought there was no danger. Wrong decision. Even though I was going at a 10 minute per mile pace (i.e. jogging) and I was several yards away, the dog lunged at me dragging the chair – I was so surprised (and tired) I must have lost my footing and I ended up on the grass – the actual falling I have no memory of. The owner grabbed the chair and was able to stop the dog before he got to my face (which is where he was headed). I lay there for a few minutes wondering if my back went out and not wanting to know the answer. The owner was very apologetic and concerned – which was the silver lining on this story. The back was okay, but that was the end of that run!

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 77 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.