Earthquake

Home Forums Open forum Earthquake

This topic contains 7 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  oldguybc 4 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

oldguybc
    Participant

Just slept thru a 6.1, up around Napa, woke up everyone in the house except me, gettin’ older all the time.
    True what they say about animals sensing it first, MsOG said our little cat Nala went crazy about five minutes before the quake hit, ran over us on the bed, crying and meowing for all she was worth, super skittish.
    BTW no damage down here, none of our neighbors reported any.

Richy
    Participant

Well, the good thing is that you are still waking up everyday.

jburgh
    Participant

A friend of mine in the south bay said she felt it, but it was more like a 3.5 down there, and rolling.

oldguybc
    Participant

Not strong here at all, raised all kinds of hell in Napa & Vallejo, nobody killed as of yet although one boy is still listed as critical, praying for his recovery.

VeganBiker
    Participant

oldguybc – I am glad that you and yours are all safe down there. I am curious as to what emergency preparations you have in place? Is your home certified “earthquake proof”, if it is did you do the work yourself? Do you have drinking water stored and if so what type of container do you use. Lots of questions are coming up here in the NW because we know a big one is coming, but what should one do to be prepared?
    Do you have earthquake insurance?

great idea
    Participant

vb– when you say ‘certified’ earthquake-proof, do you just mean a house that has been seismically retrofitted (with a permit according to prescriptive design or otherwise?)

I have never heard of a truly ‘earthquake-proof’ home, but know you can get a break on your insurance if you go through that routine.

btw, in our 2001 earthquake, I watched as a large piece of artwork nearly crushed a co-worker; it’s not always the building that’ll get you so much as the contents!

VeganBiker
    Participant

gi – yes “seismically retrofitted” is what I meant to say. I know, even in CA where most of these retrofit designs are thought up and tested, the buildings are not totally earthquake proof.
    I am still intending to do a retrofit on our house soon!
    And you are right, making sure large objects inside the building are anchored down is very important, I used to have a couple of book shelves over the head of the bed until I realized they would all land on my head in a quake!

oldguybc
    Participant

VB, got all the stuff on the list in a fairly safe place, the Tuffshed behind our house, probably more earthquake proof than the house is, just sayin’…
    Still remember the Loma Prieta 7.1 quake of 1989, getting ready to watch the Giants & A’s, pictures flying off the walls, chandeliers swinging from left to right at maximum, three generations of women trying to get under the kitchen table, the youngest only a year and a half old, my son laughing so hard he almost fell over, shutting off the gas supply with a handy wrench, trying to find a cash machine (no luck) or a fast food place (Col Sanders on the El Camino in Santa Clara was the only one open), a line a block long, rushing to the hospital to be with my daughter, laying on a gurney in the hall with a neck brace on, she got into a multi- car pileup as it was happening, the memories go on & on…

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.