Easter Chocolate

Home Forums Open forum Easter Chocolate

This topic contains 24 replies, has 12 voices, and was last updated by  Life is amazing 3 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author

Cate
    Participant

While at QFC (no not the “Hillbilly” one, the other one) I wandered through the Easter candy (had to see if those Cadbury caramel eggs were out yet. You understand.) And I saw a milk chocolate cross. Now I’m not of the Christian persuasion so really have no dog in this fight (there must be a better metaphor I could use), but I was quite taken back that such a sacred symbol would be in chocolate. Couldn’t image any of the truly sacred symbols of Judaism, Islam, Hinduism… being done in chocolate. Actually, there have been battles over the misuse of religious symbols and writings. So, enlighten me about chocolate symbology.

Jules
    Participant

Why not? After all, Easter eggs started as a pagan symbol. Bunnies and eggs really have nothing at all to do with Easter. Hey, I only really like those big weird candy coated marshmallow eggs, found only at QFC on Holman Road. Or at least in the past. I not really in the market for candy.

A guy’s kid I knew was teaching English in Japan, and he brought back a “Christmas” card that showed Santa and a cross. Talk about a mixed metaphor.

SmartsyArtsy
    Participant

I have seen chocolate menorahs for many years, as well as crosses, stars of David. Nothing new. I know Jews who have not liked wood or metal menorahs with animal themes but never heard a complaint about chocolate.

Angeline
    Participant

The crosses always surprise me, too, though I’ve noticed them around for years. I’ve never heard of anyone complaining about them, though. Maybe they are for folks who feel the bunnies and eggs are too pagan.

Life is amazing
    Participant

I saw a jesus head in chocolate. I was so spiritually overcome i broke out in the Messiah

plasticbags
    Participant

They have Reese’s peanut butter eggs that are big enough to cut up like cake. I think they’ve finally gone too far. Though a Reese’s crucifix would intrigue me.

boatgeek
    Participant

Alert, thread drift! Some fine person brought a 5-lb Theo chocolate Santa to the New Year’s Eve party we went to. No chocolate baby Jesus though. Of course, if he was on Fox, he’d have to be a white chocolate baby Jesus.

Angeline
    Participant

http://www.reuters.com/article/2008/11/27/us-germany-chocolate-jesus-idUSTRE4AP6YM20081126

I find most white chocolate to be tasteless, so no surprise German church officials agree.

Although I’d take a quality white chocolate any day over whatever Palmer uses to make their “chocolate” Easter candy.

Cate
    Participant

Angeline -,Fran’s Chocolates makes a white chocolate bar that is sublime (once again revealing I know way too much about chocolate).

SmartsyArtsy
    Participant

I thought “white chocolate” was not chocolate.

Shelley

Indeed, to be considered “chocolate” it must contain cocoa solids.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_chocolate

But I love white chocolate and it’s definitely one of my guilty pleasures whether it meets the breed standard or not. Will have to seek out the Fran’s bar Cate mentions.

Angeline
    Participant

Shelley & Cate, if I don’t think “chocolate” right before, the white stuff does make an acceptable sweet treat. At least it does if it is a Lindt truffle candy — those are pretty yummy sugar bombs. And also, the white chocolate chips made by Ghiradelli melt down beautifully into a ganache icing, although when I use that I bill it as “vanilla” frosting rather than “white chocolate.”

The Hershey’s white chocolate and some others I’ve tried are like eating sweetened wax.

Novalis
    Participant

It’s just a Spring time fertility festival, that has the Christian flavor is all.

Christmas is also, btw, if you didn’t know.

Smells Fishy
    Participant

Sweetie and I never use that white stuff in baking. I gave it feathers once and learned a lesson, er, got schooled good.

Cate
    Participant

Having dumped a 10 lb. bag of sugar all over my kitchen, I returned to the QFC tonight (I fear I would not be welcomed at the family celebration of all things fertile if I showed up with store-bought hot cross buns). As you would imagine the store was full of parents buying Easter candy and fake green grass. I noticed that all the ivory colored white chocolate crosses were gone but many brown, milk chocolate, crosses remained. How odd, or perhaps not.

SmartsyArtsy
    Participant

“Purity”? Guilt about chocolate crosses? Guilt about eating crosses?

What a mess you made!! Are Nellie and Sami now sugared kitties?

Shelley

I don’t understand the need to decorate the Christian religious icons in chocolate. Kind of the ultimate sellout.

This morning in the PI was a photo gallery of stomach turning examples of easter candy:
    http://www.seattlepi.com/life/food/article/The-best-and-worst-Easter-candy-on-the-market-5413089.php

great idea
    Participant

I don’t think it’s that odd.

when you consider that Lent is a time of sacrifice, Easter should have all the treats of Mardi Gras and more.

maybe it’s strange if the kids don’t actually give anything up for the forty days.

Jimmy Rustler
    Participant

Which QFC is the “hillbilly” one and why is it called that?

chocolate jesus

Shelley

JR, That would be the QFC on Holman Rd. I think it was Allison W who dubbed it the Hillbilly QFC because of barefoot people and box wine (or something similar) in the store when she made a visit. Folks in Crown Hill just call it Art’s.

Angeline
    Participant

Strangely enough, the so-called “hillbilly” QFC always makes me feel a little underdressed, if anything. When I go it is usually filled with rather proper-seeming elderly ladies, much like the old Ballard QFC used to be. I’ve witnessed no barefootedness, although I’m sure box wine is for sale.

SmartsyArtsy
    Participant

I was there today and it seems shoppers, well-dressed or barefoot, believe that they should stay to their left and won’t budge to let someone staying to the right pass by. Could they be British Hillbellies?

Life is amazing
    Participant

OK just scared myself. Read through this thread (it was started by Cate as well as being about weird food in relation to religion so why not) and came across my contribution about the chocolate Jesus head. I so completely don’t remember writing it that at first I wondered how someone could post something with my name and avatar. Wow.

Jimmy Rustler
    Participant

@Life is amazing: maybe you walked away from your PC while logged in and one of your friends/coworkers made the comment? Maybe you were so spiritually overcome that you forgot posting it?

Life is amazing
    Participant

HA, the second idea is possible.
    Not the first. They only folks interested in my keyboard are the cats and that whole lack of opposable thumbs thing … there would have been more typos.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.