Encampment Petitions

Home Forums Open forum Encampment Petitions

This topic contains 44 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by  JM98107 2 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 45 total)
  • Author

Salmon Bay
    Participant

JM98107
    Participant

The encampments are a still bad idea. How did the tents survive in the wind today?
    Polls are not always accurate are they? Some professional polls suggest Mr.Trump could be the next President.

JM98107
    Participant

Late isn’t it? The encampments are still a bad idea.

Anonymous

To be clear, SB, the Speak Up Ballard petition was not “against” the encampments. It says no such thing. It was started in objection to the lack of process and transparency.

KS
    Participant

There is clearly a perception that the two petitions represent some kind of statistically significant referendum on the Market St. site but they are not.

The best way to accurately and scientifically gauge public opinion would be polling which could address matters such as public process, accountability and transparency, the perceived pros and cons of the Market St location vs. other locations, the public policy on licensed encampments generally … and other perhaps relevant facets of the ordinance like the time for which an encampment could be authorized initially, the availability of renewals, and the process by which potential residents will be selected (if the encampments will give priority to long standing local homeless first).

I would be interested in seeing the extent to which direct and close by residential and business neighbors of the site were in favor of the site or against it and comparing their views on the above matters to those of the greater population of Ballard residents and business owners and visitors. The views of District 6 voters on those issues and of Mike O’Brien I think are also particularly germane.

KS
    Participant

PS I signed the initial petition.

The Bunny
    Participant

Yeah, shit went all over the map; those petitions should not be a foot race/barometer. I think most people (myself included) were PO’d about the specific site selected being right on Market St. so close to small businesses, tourism, and residential (there’s so many residential units backed right up to it). The din of noise of 50 people living outside in a confined space (homeless or otherwise) is enough to make it questionable not to mention smoke/smell from “camp fires” and those porta pottie doors banging closed like they do (constantly). Again, anyone who’s a long time Ballard person (like myself 20+ years) has become quite accustomed to homeless being amongst us quite a bit (though admittedly, there’s a new edge with the influx of tweakers and not seemingly our homeless residents I’m used to seeing around, hence the possible uptick of petty crime going on).

btw, I do live in central Ballard but over by the post office. I’m not so directly effected by the site but I do care about Ballard issues (this being a big one to me).

Anonymous

The pro petition certainly went all over the map, with signatures from Spokane, Bremerton, Everett, etc. etc. Sorry, but I don’t really care what people who won’t be directly impacted by a tent encampment have to say about putting one in my neighborhood.

Re the “influx of tweakers” The Bunny mentioned: I wonder how much the increase in homelessness has to do with the rise in heroin use. No one’s talking about that, but I suspect it’s a factor.

The Bunny
    Participant

CR: I think the influx of the tweakers, etc. (as I call them) is from the spring downtown clean up and some of those people dispersed into neighborhoods out of the downtown core. And I think some of the signs of heroine use here in Ballard (like the needles in the park and on sidewalks) may be related to increased heroine use in general and these new Ballard “residents” from downtown. I think the heroine use is a past fad that’s back in vogue; all the cool kids are doing it again. Oh crack will be back in fashion soon.

Anonymous

Bunny, I think you’re absolutely right about certain people being pushed out of downtown to neighborhoods. The mayor has support from downtown business interests and wants to keep them happy. He also wants the support of the homeless lobby, who supported McGinn, not him. So he throws them a bone and approves a few tent encampments in areas outside of downtown.

There’s a whole lot of politics involved in these decisions.

JM98107
    Participant

If Vulcan wants to clean -up Pioneer Square, they should buy out the properties used by the missions and charities. Then the hobo tribe will have no reason to be bothering the sports fans and gallery vistors.

Salmon Bay
    Participant

Here’s an update. Ballard Shut Up petition:1617. Support the homeless encampment petition:1838

Anonymous

Yes, SB, the faith-based community has large networks of people they’ve clearly reached out to. When folks from places like San Diego and Spokane are weighing in on this, the number of signatures becomes irrelevant. Who cares what people in other cities think about a homeless encampment in Ballard, somewhere they don’t even live? I don’t.

Salmon Bay
    Participant

Here’s another update. Ballard Shut Up petition:1629. Support the homeless encampment petition:1857

GAM
    Participant

I thought this wasn’t about the homeless camp. I thought it was about representation and transparancy within the City.

Seems to me, the bigger and brighter the light that can be shown on that, the better. Plus, the genie is out of the bottle: once this hit the regional news, it stopped being a “Ballard only” thing.

JM98107
    Participant

Some people think Ballard has too many burnout drifters already and that problem needs to be cleaned-up first. Ballard doesn’t need a mini slum on Market St. Currently, Seattle is inundated with hobos looking for handouts, free food and they are trashing the community. We are spending 40 million a year on bum services while our public school teachers’ salaries fall behind.

VeganBiker
    Participant

JM – I agree. Have any of you noticed the number of tents and campers along 45th from Fred Meyers to the Ballard Bridge? There is the huge pile of stuff right at the intersection of 11th and 45th, both side of the street on the North side of the intersection have shopping carts with piles of trash and the South West side has a large camper and piles of trash, pallets and shopping carts. I asked the two guys what they were doing and the younger one told me that they were moving in “all over”!
    When is the city going to crack down on this type of behaviour? What are we paying our taxes for anyway?

Salmon Bay
    Participant

The encampment has nothing to do with the derelicts trashing Ballard. If anything, it might collect a few of them. Encampment occupants typically help clean up neighborhoods. Especially if they feel that they belong and accepted in the neighborhood.

Anonymous

Agreed, VB. But we need to start treating chronic homelessness as what it is: a mental health and substance abuse crisis. Wasting resources diddling around with tent encampments is not going to do anything meaningful to address the root causes of chronic homelessness.

Salmon Bay
    Participant

Yes CR, some homeless people have mental health issues, and some have addiction issues. The city can do much better at addressing these, and the city should also be working on a solution for homelessness, which would obviously be homes. However not all homeless people have mental health issues or addiction issues. To portray them as such displays bigotry.

It is a pity that so many of our neighbors are wasting precious resources diddling around with protesting tent encampments which is not going to do anything meaningful to address the root causes of chronic homelessness.

Anonymous

Oh, FFS, SB. It’s not bigotry. It’s reality. Go look up the stats yourself. Most chronically homeless people (and I did specify that I was referring to the chronically homeless, not all homeless people) have mental health issues, substance abuse problems or both. The city isn’t talking – at least publicly – about what to do about those people, for whom tent encampments aren’t a solution.

Get real.

JM98107
    Participant

Yes VB, the trash near the Pavingstone company is spreading. I stopped and took a few photos and will send them to the mayor’s office. No humans were available to explain why the garbage is there. Ballard does not need any more transients ruining the neighborhood. Fewer bums per square mile is a better goal.

Anonymous

JM, do you mean the trash on the corner of 45th and 11th, kitty-corner from Fred Meyer? I went by there yesterday for the first time in over a month and was absolutely shocked by what I saw. There was an enormous amount of clothing, trash and other items strewn around on both sides of the street. The pile has been there more than a month and has spiraled out of control. I saw the same mentally ill-appearing, filthy man picking through it that I saw there more than a month ago. I presume the pile belongs to him. This morning when I went by I saw a strung out-looking woman in a sleeping bag.

On the block west of there (the block where the cement “lake” is), I saw numerous tents and shopping carts, a guy passed out by the side of the road and a few more tweaker types ambling about in the street.

WTF is going on with this city? City hall really needs to get a handle on this. It’s absolutely appalling. That area looks like a third-world slum.

I took photos and sent them to the mayor and every council member, and also filled out a Customer Service Bureau form, which can be found here: https://seattle-csrprodcwi.motorolasolutions.com/ServiceRequest.mvc/SRIntakeStep2?id=CSGENINQ

Salmon Bay
    Participant

CR, thank you for taking your time to take and send your photos to the mayor! The city needs to address those that make this mess. This is a much better use of your time than opposing the tent encampment that would help those in need of a safe place to live!

Anonymous

Again, SB, how do you know who tent cities would accommodate? I seriously doubt they will do anything to address the increasing numbers of chronically homeless people.

You should read the Seattle Weekly story. I’m glad the media is finally starting to focus on the need to address the chronically homeless.

http://www.seattleweekly.com/home/960622-129/the-solution-to-seattles-homeless-problem

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 45 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.