Find It, Fix It app.

Home Forums Open forum Find It, Fix It app.

This topic contains 11 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  VeganBiker 3 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

VeganBiker
    Participant

Are any of you using the Find It, Fix It app from the City?
    http://www.seattle.gov/customer-service-bureau/find-it-fix-it-mobile-app

I just used it today to report 3 shopping carts and 1 TV down along Seaview.

I am just wondering if anyone else is using it and how the response was.

Shelley

Reporting graffiti:
    1) Parks usually addresses issue within 10 days
    2) Signs — SDOT addresses issue within 30 to 60 days
    3) Private property — appears to have no effect

Reporting potholes — usual first response within a few days. A first response may be to put up a reflective sawhorse over the offending pothole, or maybe even patching it.

Reporting green paint on pavement in bad shape (for instance Stone Way near Bridge) — ZERO response in over 5 months.

Reporting homeless debris on 8th avenue — no response in 3 weeks

Reporting parking violations (blocked driveway): within an hour

Reporting parking violations (more than 72 hours): don’t waste your time, call them in.

Reporting accumulation of garbage and debris: fairly prompt response (couple of weeks)

Reporting street light out: within a few days, repaired.

Don’t count on a response being posted back so you can see it on the app. Or all of your things reported over the last 6 months just disappear into thin air — poof whether resolved or not. SDOT doesn’t usually update the ticket, but City Light is really good about it, and SPD just closes them all.

Edog
    Participant

I hear that App gets better reception on Queen Anne and Magnolia….

Kate
    Participant

VB, thanks for the link. I’ll start using it. I tried to report a pile of stuff left by a guy who slept and shit right next to the BG trail for a few days in January, by calling various numbers and filling in forms. It finally got cleaned up in March.

I’ve been reporting the shopping carts directly to the stores.
    Large black – QFC – 206-297-2150 press 0 on phone tree
    Red – Trader Joe’s – 206-783-0498
    Large beige, small black – Safeway – 206-784-6480 press 8 on phone tree
    Large green plastic or small green metal – Ballard market – 206-783-7922

There used to be a single cart pickup service, but it seems to have vanished. I wish the grocery stores would start using the sort of carts that you pay to use (and get your money back when you return) or that have wheels that lock if they go past the parking lot. I’m sure it would cut down on the amount of trash that gets left around the neighborhood.

VeganBiker
    Participant

Shelley – thanks for that info, now I know what possibly to expect.

Kate – you are welcome. And thanks for those numbers. I wondered if there was a central collection place for carts that were dumped but SDOT just told me to use the app.
    And I agree that if the stores had a “pay for a cart” system like they do in the UK and other EU countries and many airports including SEA-TAC, it would help to stop this problem.

61stMama
    Participant

VeganBiker, I started using the app a week ago and reported two of probably the same shopping carts (one along Seaview, south of the crosswalk/light by the railroad tracks, and one on the 37th/Greenway hill). I’m out dog walking a lot and it feels good to have somewhere to report flagrant dumping/vandalism. It’d be great if lots of Ballardites started using it — maybe frequency of reports will lead to faster/better response from city departments?

A single shopping cart pick-up service would be fantastic. Or just better enforcement/prevention, as others have suggested. (It is stolen property, right? Why is that difficult to enforce?)

Also on my wishlist: an adopt-a-block program for big new condo buildings, encouraging residents to help pick up and beautify the block they live on. Many neighbors do this informally and without prompting on single-family-housing blocks (because it feels more personal, I’m sure), but maybe a structured/supported program would encourage new high-rise residents to also feel invested in their own blocks?

Go Ballard.

Anonymous

It feels like Ballard is at a tipping point and that people are getting really fed up with a lot of the petty crime and problem behaviors going on. Maybe that’s true of the city generally.

teigyr
    Participant

I’ve used it for illegally parked cars. I’ve found I get a response almost immediately. By illegally parked, I don’t mean blocking a driveway but being parked for ever and ever and ever. FWIW though, parking enforcement is the only dept that makes money instead of spending it so maybe that’s why. I used it once for a street light and that was handled pretty quickly too.

I’ve found that it’s good to watch the gps coordinates because sometimes they are off. I LOVE the fact you can include a picture.

Regarding illegal dumping and stuff, I believe you can fill something out online through the city page. I became fed up with some stuff going on near our house and ended up contacting the mayors office. They filled out the form for me and responded back with progress. It was lovely! So consider that an option. Maybe if they get inundated with fed up people, it will be incentive to do something. FWIW the customer service people in city hall are really nice and responsive. They live around our neighborhoods too and totally understand that things like that, no matter how inconsequential they seem in the scope of the crap that goes in in Seattle, are important to us.

Chris
    Participant

It’s a long story about why, but I ended up talking to a guy who runs a lot of the IT stuff for the city of Seattle. I got the distinct impression that the people they have running the app and its data streams are are geeks first, and city government types second. As a result, they tend to look at every problem that comes in as a challenge to be resolved, and to be followed up on quickly and relentlessly if it isn’t resolved.

Not sure that this will continue indefinitely, but for now it is one of the better pipelines into the city government. What I’m really hoping that they’ll do, once we transition to designated council members from each district, is to copy the reports that belong to a certain area to the council member from that area, as I’ve found that government types respond very quickly when they know that their continued employment hinges on their ability to resolve problems for constituents.

Mondoman
    Participant

Lots of good stuff here — thanks!

Shelley

Chris, Find It Fix It is run by the Customer Service Bureau which has been around for a long time. They were instrumental in getting me to the right department several times when as a newbie biz owner I ran into roadblocks starting up. My experience with the app is that it probably works OK, but there are still failure modes, mostly related to bureaucracy in the departments they have to interface with. I think the app grew out of the third party problem reporting form linked at the CSB web page: http://www.seattle.gov/customer-service-bureau

You can get them on the phone at 684-CITY — that hasn’t changed. When I have called to follow up on Find It Fix It requests, they are very helpful, though they seem somewhat perplexed why some city departments simply close all requests with no feedback (SPD Parking Enforcement for instance) and others let the requests sit there for months with no action (SDOT). They seem equally flummoxed by the disappearance of previously submitted requests.

I think the app may encourage more accountability, but until the other fiefdoms [departments] are actually on board, it will be a mixed bag of results. I like the words that the departments they forward to have upto 10 days to respond, but I don’t like that the 10 days doesn’t actually mean much in deeds.

VeganBiker
    Participant

Wow the login screen has been updated!

I just saw a very good person wheeling a QFC cart back to the 24th Ave store from way down on Seaview by the Marina. I talked to him and he said “one a day” what a guy! I felt humbled…

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.