News for Seattle's Ballard neighborhood and beyond

My Ballard header image 2

Fireworks watching from Ballard

Home Forums Open forum Fireworks watching from Ballard

This topic contains 27 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of VeganBiker VeganBiker 9 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of jj
    jj
    Participant

Are there any “good enough” places to watch the Lake Union fireworks show? My kids are interested in seeing some fireworks, but we’re far too young to head down there. In the past I’ve seen some people hanging at Ballard High School, so I was thinking that might be a good spot.

Profile photo of Monorail Driver
    Monorail Driver
    Participant

Just take them to the Ballard Community Center. Usually a very good show

Profile photo of Electricoutlet
    Electricoutlet
    Participant

Who does that amazing show from the Ballard Community Center? It was beautiful and seemed so professional.

Profile photo of VeganBiker
    VeganBiker
    Participant

Electrcoutlet – If you find out would you please let me know. I want to turn them in to SPD! I live very close to the playfield and I really do not enjoy this every year. It is still going on at almost 11 PM and it is really a pain in the neck to keep hearing these very loud bangs.

VeganBiker
    Participant

And for what it is worth I did walk over there at about 8:30 PM and there were a bunch of kids letting off loud stuff and a group of adults on the South side letting off larger high up stuff. All totally illegal and to quote Public Affairs Officer Patrick Michaud of SPD who posted this on Nextdoor Ballard: “The possession, manufacture, storage, sale and use of fireworks (meaning everything but pop-it caps) is prohibited in Seattle, punishable by up to a year in jail and a $5,000 fine.”
    What was the point of posting that information? It just makes me mad.

Profile photo of Trevor
    Trevor
    Participant

That was MFJ. Does it every year. Best firework show in Seattle.

Profile photo of Trevor
    Trevor
    Participant

And yet at 10:30pm there was an entire neighborhood enjoying quite a show. And no SPD.

Monorail Driver
    Participant

VB, it’s the 4th of July; once a year. You can’t honestly be that uptight or crotchety, or for that matter, surprised to hear fireworks at 11 PM, can you?

Profile photo of Electricoutlet
    Electricoutlet
    Participant

This year for the first time I watched the Lake Union fireworks on television. Before the show began the Kiro helicopter did a pan of the King County area. Fireworks of various sizes EVERYWHERE! Now I understand why the police post and tell us that fireworks are illegal but please do not call them to report the illegal activity. There is NO way police or fire can respond to anything but the fires or accidents. I am stuck at home every year comforting my poor dog but, in spite of that, I did enjoy the Ballard display from my balcony.

VeganBiker
    Participant

Trevor – who is “MFJ”?

VeganBiker
    Participant

Monorail Driver – FYI I am a very easy going person not “that uptight or crotchety, or for that matter, surprised”.
    I have pets that hate this noise. I personally enjoy a good firework display but not a continual bombardment on a hot night when all my doors and windows are open and the bangs are so loud that they shake the house!
    It is illegal and I believe that the City of Seattle should find a way to enforce the law and stop this insanity.

VeganBiker
    Participant

Monorail Driver – is that you in your avatar? And are you or have you been a “monorail” driver?

Profile photo of Swedish Chef
    Swedish Chef
    Participant

VeganBiker – You sound like a reasonable person, but are definitely dealing with 1st World problems. I, too, feel for the animals (domestic AND wild), but am thankful war is not at our front door, we’re poppin’ caps for realz, and appreciate the ONE DAY to celebrate and recognize that our flag still stands. So on National Ketchup and Mustard Day, I’d encourage you to do a little freedom dance and be grateful you’re not forced to put Scruffy on the Bar’B (I know you’re vegan, but when you’re starving and singing “Desparado” I image you’ll “come your senses” and eat flesh from bone). I would like to thank those that have served to preserve our freedom, Fire and Police for keeping our safety a priority, and, of course, MFJ for “shaking the shack!”

Profile photo of Swedish Chef
    Swedish Chef
    Participant

…”shaking the shack!” with an amazingly furious display. MFJ, you rock! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! I know where to go next year!

Profile photo of Trevor
    Trevor
    Participant

Trevor – who is “MFJ”?

I dunno. The persons putting on the show I guess.

And FTR there were people there long before and long after lighting off “insanity” during the one time a year it occurs. And unlike everyone else, they cleaned up their remnants.

But don’t worry; due to your whining and most probable complaint already to SPD it’ll likely not happen next year.

VeganBiker
    Participant

Swedish Chef – I don’t believe I know you, however you are correct, I am a reasonable person. I just do not believe that setting off you own fireworks when our police department and fire department specifically ask you not to has anything to do with appreciating how great this country is or recognising our armed forces and public servants for the wonderful jobs they do to keep us safe.
    This “freedom” costs the city (us tax payers) a lot of money and it is an annual headache for your police and fire departments so why do it?

And just to be clear, I have not always been a vegan. I grew up in a rural environment and hunted. Shot and cleaned and ate what I killed so when the apocalypse comes I am full prepared to survive, if you know what I mean.
    I chose to be a vegan for ethical reasons and I have been one for over 30 years and at 68 years old I can still keep up with kids 20 years younger than me.

VeganBiker
    Participant

Trevor – FYI I rode home through the Ballard Playground this afternoon (Sunday) and there was a Parks Dept. employee meticulously picking up all the small pieces of those fireworks that people left behind! There was a load of it, mostly fragments of things that went bang! and small discs of cardboard. He told me they were having to do this at all the parks in Seattle. What an incredible waste of money, and you have the audacity to suggest that I am “whining”! No! I am strongly complaining and if by doing so I can help to get this insanity stopped then I will feel like I have accomplished something good.

VeganBiker
    Participant

So if anyone has any information about who this “MFJ” is I would like to know.

Profile photo of Trevor
    Trevor
    Participant

As I mentioned. Those were other people’s remnants. I personally saw the crew walk through the field and pick up not only their remnants but those of others as well. It was dark so maybe they missed a few.

And what is the job of a park employee? To pick up stuff and make sure everything is ok. And everything was ok. I guarantee you they pick up way more dog shit than fireworks shit. Probably from your dogs. Sorry Muffy and Scruffy got scared but maybe if you took them out of their sweaters and fed them real food they wouldn’t be such wussies. In my old town my two dogs and two cats all came out to watch the show. Hear that? Cats were watching the fireworks. And I guarantee you back in the country we made much more noise.

It was 4th of July. No one got hurt. A LOT of people had fun. And only one whiney jackass complained. Get over it.

VeganBiker: Why do you hate America?

I’m one of the few that post with my real name. Feel free to track me down.

Profile photo of Trevor
    Trevor
    Participant

search the forums. you’ll see last years.

VeganBiker
    Participant

Trevor – You do not post your full name! And I would advise you not to on this forum.
    You have not been active on here for very long and this forum has a history as the folks that have been on here for many years will know.
    As for me, most of the folks on here know who I am and have met me but I will only give my email and name to people that I would enjoy meeting. You on the other hand have insulted me and made fun of me in this thread so I have no interest in you what so ever.
    And FWIW I chose to move to the USA and live here in the early 70’s. This country is my home and I respect and love it, and I have enjoyed many other countries in the Americas, including Canada, Mexico, Peru, Bolivia and Chile all of them are in America, North and South.
    So do not assume that I hate the USA just because I do not enjoy people breaking the law. I love this country.

Monorail Driver
    Participant

VB, I don’t recall you from the Monorail, were you a driver or passenger?

As for breaking the law, you are just as likely to see SPD arrest someone for fireworks on the Fourth of July as you are seeing them citing bicyclists for blowing through stop lights and signs. As an avid bicyclist, the latter is probably a more worthy cause to champion.

VeganBiker
    Participant

Monorail Driver – I used to operate the Monorail back in the 80s when I worked for Metro Transit and picked the extra board at Mercer Base and then at Ryerson.
    Did you drive the Monorail for Metro or for the Seattle Center?

FYI I do work to get bicyclist to obey the law.

Profile photo of Cheese
    Cheese
    Participant

Look, the only real America is the one where the bully and the mob gets what they want, the sane questioner/dissenter gets cast out and insulted, and the law serves the loudest. THAT is what the July 4th celebrations are all about! Aren’t they?

Who would want to live in a country where voices can be heard that are contrary to one’s own without insult and threat, in a country where laws are enforced, in a country where there are mechanisms to question customs that harm a minority, in a country where there are people who are not a bit like yourself?

VB: Thank you for choosing America, we need more people like you more than ever.

Monorail Driver
    Participant

Did anyone catch the fireworks show at the Ballard Community Center last night? I missed it this year but was curious how it went. It’s usually a pretty good show.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 28 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar